It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pilot flies small plane into Anchorage building

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So I get up this morning to my phone blaring alerts at me. I've signed up to get text alerts from police/fire/city about road closures, weather advisories, ect...Apparently at about 6:20 AM this morning someone flew a Cesna 172S into an office building in downtown, Anchorage:

Details are emerging about the pilot killed early Tuesday morning when a small plane he did not have permission to fly struck office buildings in Downtown Anchorage. The buildings house law offices, including a firm that employs the pilot's wife, and government workers.

That seems a little bit wierd...Granted, the winds were really, REALLY bad overnight and not at all friendly to little planes like that. When I heard a small plane had crashed into a building downtown, I just assumed it was a guy who hit some bad winds. Now I'm not so sure...he "took" a CAP (Civil Air Patrol) plane without permission. Then, he hits the SAME building his wife works in as an attorney? A building with a bunch of government lawyers too? Hm...

And it gets even weirder, the police were at this pilot's house the night before, but the cops aren't saying anything:

Arroyo said she saw three police cars and an ambulance outside Demarest’s home last night.

Anchorage police would only say that medics and police responded to a home on the same block just after 10 p.m. Monday. No one was transported and no crime was committed, according to a police spokeswoman.

Hours later, Doug Demarest took the Civil Air Patrol plane from Merrill Field without authorization, according to a national spokeswoman for the organization.

The NTSB and FBI are investigating. The Govenor's office isn't more than a few blocks away, so he was pretty quick on the scene:

Gov. Bill Walker, who arrived at the crash site shortly after 7 a.m., said he’s not surprised that the FBI is involved.

“In this day and age, when a plane flies into a building,” it’s not uncommon that the FBI would investigate to rule out all possibilities, Walker said.

The single-engine plane piloted by Demarest -- a Cessna 172S -- struck the Brady building on 4th Avenue and L Street at 6:18 a.m., according to Johnson. Pieces of the plane also struck the Carr Gottstein (Whale) Building at 310 K Street, causing some damage to both structures. The buildings houses employees from the Alaska Department of Law and Department of Corrections. No one on the ground was injured.

KTUU local NBC

Here's some footage from earlier this morning:

What's this all about? Terrorism? Angry husband? I have no idea...but later in the afternoon someone was running around the same downtown area shooting people with a BB gun....

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well then, that doesn't happen every day.

The thread title had me thinking it was pure accident, upon reading I too find the coincidences odd........dude must have been POed at his old lady.

The BB gun story disturbs me. People downtown suck, it's the only place I've been drive by paint balled and the very place were someone attempted to mug my mom just the other day.

Good ol A town.

Thanks for posting, I'm a little surprised I hadn't heard yet. Leave it to ATS lol.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Arrrrg double post.
edit on 29-12-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I was just up the road when that guy crashed his plane into the IRS building in Austin in 2010. I heard the bang and saw the smoke. I drove over to see if I could help, but the scene was already swarmed with police and fire trucks.
Planes appear to be a hell of a weapon in the wrong hands.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Yeah, it was at/around the downtown transit center. That place is a magnet for vagrants, homeless, ect...Its really sad, as in the winter when its cold, the homeless can sit around inside to stay warm, or ride the buses around town to keep from freezing to death. It frightens off a lot of people from using the public transportation.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The fact that his wife works in the building the pilot flew his plane in to seems more than coincidental. Couple that with the cops being called to his the night before makes it seem like an angry husband.

Also, the though of homeless in Alaska during the winter is heartbreaking. As a Californian, I can't even imagine living in that cold of a climate with a roof overhead, thinking of homeless in that climate is gut-wrenching.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Like many members here I don't believe in"Coincidence".The husband wanted his wife to see his suicide,imo.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
It wasn't a plane, it was a guided missile. Guided by Dick Cheney.

Or maybe a hologram.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
It wasn't a plane, it was a guided missile. Guided by Dick Cheney.

Or maybe a hologram.

ok you are Awesome,
just so you know.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   

So, the building didn't catch on fire, and collapse suddenly into the ground?

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I want to play.

If all of Anhorage wages war against disgruntled husbands abroad, then I think we know whats really going on here.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AzothPendragon

Nope, there was a pretty decent sized fire, but it didn't melt any beams. I don't think those tiny little propeller planes use jet fuel though...

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

After seeing this earlier, I have to admit I thought it was wind too. It actually blew rain in through closed windows and under the front door last night it was so bad.

Thanks for the heads up about extraneous circumstances, those are too many coincidences to just be wind. Hopefully we hear more in coming days. Luckily nobody on the ground was hurt. It was pretty early too, so I suppose there is a good chance nobody was actually in the building that got hit.

And hopefully not too off topic, really, someone was running around with a BB gun, and someone almost got mugged? It's Anchorage! I'm going to be up there in just a couple of weeks, staying downtown..... I guess it's time to start treating it like any other city.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

Yeah, it didn't make the news from what I can see. The only reason I know is because I'm close with the maintenance/security people in my office building. We almost went on lock-down over it.

You'd be surprised all of the weird stuff that happens that never makes the news!

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Hm, if you're staying dowtown just avoid the bus station on 6th ave. That's where most of the homeless, drunks, and mentally ill people wind up.

As a kid we used to joke about 4th ave. being where all the "ladies of the night" walked the streets....not so much anymore at all. It's not shady like that. All of that business has moved over to the Spenard area.

And in all reality, Anchorage is super safe. Unless you are buying drugs, selling drugs, or really drunk at a bar and pick a fight. Avoid some bars like Koots, Woodshed ... and you should A-OK.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Well, thanks for keeping us in the loop! The journalism in this state is lacking to say the least. I'm not at all surprised about what doesn't make the news.

I used to live in Mountain View briefly before it's revival of sorts. I was one of the few up at 6 catching a bus up to Lake Otis to work. I hate that transit center. I had a guy chasing me around in there one morning cracked out wanting me to put his earring in for him until a Good Samaritan on his way to work intervened. He even came to check on me after I made my escape around the corner to wait for my bus. It's not LA or Pheonix though! It is a wake up call to be more vigilant than is normally required for downtown.

Luckily life has changed quite a bit, my honey is taking me to CC for our anniversary. I've always hated Koots, and I'm bummed at how Humpy's has changed. Darwin's Theory is awesome, and Ginger for dinner. I miss old Anchorage. I'm bummed about the whale wall too. I met Wyland when he was up here painting it, he knew my friend's mom.

Deepest condolences for the life lost as well, I assume it was the man piloting the plane. Hopefully nobody else was hurt. It's rough this time of year, I'm guessing the guy snapped.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

It is heartbreaking, and far more prevalent than you would expect for the climate. There are multiple deaths every year.

It's also a very dark time of year, and darker right now with no snow. People tend to snap sometimes. It's doubtful that it's terrorism, most likely personal.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Yeah woodsmom, my mom was walking the trails in between her apartment and the college and some guy blocked her path and kept asking her "what do you got".

She didn't have her personal protection like usual, but was strong and held her ground. She said if the guy had not finally let her by she was seconds from kicking him where the sun don't shine and booking it. Fortunately the idiot layed off.

Oh how I wish I was present to squash the situation myself.

Just be careful walking around sketchy places by yourself.

edit on 30-12-2015 by GoShredAK because: Stoopid auto correct

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

At least he laid off. Anchorage has definitely changed, the whole state has.
I have hitchhiked the road system up here a dozen times over, I wouldn't dare now. The world is changing.

I can't believe there's even a remote possibility of a terror attack in downtown Anchorage, however remote here we are.

It's insane really. I hope they come out with some more info soon.
I'm wondering how he got his hands on the plane in the first place, and guessing it came from Merrill field since it was unauthorized, and it's so much closer to downtown.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join