It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guitar: tips tricks mods rigs - Q&A or just share info

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: Astyanax

It's always been that way, straight from the factory. It was like that when I bought it, and as long as your an experienced player -- it doesn't pose any problem. My guitar teacher made it sing and kind of shrugged when I said it was hard for me to play.

Maybe it's the type of acoustic, it's a folk-style...

I have had problems with some acoustics also. I use a very light touch on the guitar. A guitar that requires a lot of force for clear intonation is one I would naturally avoid. The project I am finishing up now is an example of how I avoid that condition and make sure I have the feel I like. This set-up is often referred to as a 'slinky'.

I would stay with shorter scale length, 24 3/4 or so. Shorter strings need less tension to reach standard tuning. Also, I use .007 strings for both the E and B, then the normal progression from there. Again, thinner strings offer less resistance to bending. If the guitar has a standard bridge this is a great solution. If it has a trem, like my project does, it still works perfectly well but there is the added concern of maintaining proper trem balance and position. Mine set up very nicely the first time and has never shown any hint of trouble. This has been my go-to set up for as long as I can remember.

All the ideas and advice people can offer pale in comparison to actually holding the guitar in your hands. Once you have gotten a feel for a brand and model you can be fairly confident that the one you get will be similar. I would not recommend buying a guitar you have never actually had in your hands. If you go to a music store and try a few different brands and models and find one you like, then you can be pretty confident that ordering one online will be ok as long as you order the same model as the one you actually looked at.

You don't have to spend a lot to get a good playing guitar but I would recommend staying away from any brand's bottom of the line models. Even the biggest brand names make some pretty low quality guitars, but you still have to pay for the brand name.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Thanks! My guitar instructor years ago looked like ZZ Top and was an amaze-balls player. He didn't seem to think anything was "wrong" with my acoustic when he played it. Like I said, he kind of shrugged when I told him it was hard for me. I think I remember him saying I could change the strings or take it into a shop or something. It's playable, and if I played it exclusively, I'd probably build up hand strength and be OK with it.

Now ya'll have me wanting a new electric guitar....

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Stay away from the acrlyic guitars unless you want a shoulder killing guitar, they are heavy as far as guitars go. They actually don't sound bad at all IMO and they do look cool. I picked this one up a few years ago.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
What do you guys think about the Fretlight guitars? I haven't played in over a decade and want to learn, but I don't really have the time/money to take lessons and watching youtube videos and reading tab books seems lame.

Alice Cooper has a model:

I've never heard of "shelby designed" pick ups...

Anyway, from reviews I've read they're generally positive...people saying it's a great guitar to play on its own without the learning LEDs...I already use my computer for a ton of other audio stuff, I'm wondering if Logic Pro X might detect it as a USB instrument since the guitar has a USB out....hmm

There's also some purple special edition that some chick named "Orianthi" designed for them. I've never heard of her. I guess she played for Michael Jackson. Looking her up I guess she's a really well known female guitarist. Not sure I want a purple and gold guitar.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I have never played one so I cant say with any confidence how they are, but the reviews seem to be good. $400 is a good bit of cash though. You can get a lot of guitar for $400. The only thing I would caution you on is this is a strat style guitar and the scale length is 25.5". Longer strings need more tension to reach the same pitch as shorter strings. That string tension, in light of your comments on the acoustic, may be an issue. I would definitely recommend playing one before buying. In fact, if you have set your price point, try a few brands and models. I think right now you can get an epiphone les paul for around that price. I like the more exotic body styles so I would look at dean and bc rich, but thats me.

As for tab, if you don't read music, tab is a great way to smooth out your playing and learn songs. Once you get the pattern down playing is much easier. Tab will also force you to move in ways that may not have occurred to you otherwise.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

My experience has been awful buying guitars online. I've had to send 2 back (out of 4). One of them was a $1,000 Ibanez bass and the strings were actually touching the neck. Unbelievable considering the seller claims to do a "50 point check " on every instrument they ship. SURE YOU DO>!! I had already spent close to 20 grand with this company over the last year so I gave them an earful or 2.

Much better to play every guitar in the local store and get a feel for what you like.
That way you actually know what you're getting.
Craig's list is great too if you know how to drive a bargain..

Another thing you could do to make playing your acoustic easier would be to put a lighter gauge set of strings on.
Between that and dropping the tuning down a whole step will make a world of difference.

edit on 6-1-2016 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2016 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Now I remember, that's what the guitar teacher suggested -- lighter gauge strings...

Sometimes though I want that distorted rock sound, so I kind of would like an electric.

I'd buy locally -- but everything here is jacked way up in price because its Alaska, and the selection is pretty poor. There are maybe 1-2 locally shops in town with a limited selection

I'd buy a used one, but I don't really trust people on Craigslist where it's "buy my crap that I claim is awesome!" ... It's like a used car, there's usually a reason they're selling it ... and it's not always because they need the cash.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I have been waiting and watching a few websites and prices and finally got a deal I had been waiting for. I grabbed a trans blue Dean C350F for $149. No case, but it is in excellent condition. I am doing the setup now and its looking really good. I decided to get this one for my niece and keep the strat project I was working on for myself. I dont typically like Fender but I wanted to try this project out and see what happened.

The Dean will take my niece alot farther in the long run and offer more versatility and playability for her.

You can find some great deals out there if you are patient and look hard enough.

My ML project is just about finished and it is looking awesome. Even though it has block inlays in the neck I put some fret board graphics on it. You can see some of the block inlay behind the graphics but I dont mind that. I like the way it looks. It makes the color of the graphic stand out more.

I will be starting the Jackson King V project next while I am working on the Electra triple pick up mod. That should be a beast when its done. I have all the hardware and electronics from a US Gibson Explorer to put in the V. Since I am replacing the neck I can get one with no inlays and scallop the fret board, then use graphics like on the ML for markers. With a vintage Kahler trem that should finish off nicely. Then I can flush out the wiring on the Electra with coil taps and be done.

Until the next project starts that is. Which is already in the wings waiting...

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Not quite a guitar but...

YES! YES! 1,000 times YES! I would totally rock the hell out on one of those!

That's called a Keytar!

here is my epi LP, i wasn't crazy about the humbuckers so i put a SD Jazz in the neck and had a DiMarzio Tone Zone to put in the bridge. it sounds real nice and i can get some interesting tones out of it.
i have a semi hollow 335 type with humbuckers so that sound is covered.
but my 99' strat is my fav.

I mostly record at home but play bass in the worship band at church.

I have a couple small amps that i got before my digital set up.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join