It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, this is how a Milennial sees a solution to the "Living Wage" issue....

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Haha don't get started on Gates, how he earned his wealth is quite disgusting.

There's a reason Microsoft was synonymous with extortion and why they received an anti trust law suit in 2001

If you were selling hardware, unless it was windows you were on a fast track to being out of business

Then there's microsoft forcing hardware manufactures to abide by their rules using DirectX and vcredist

Gates giving money back to charity is like a Mafia boss in his old age deciding some of his wealth should go charity to try and look good in the eyes of others

The only other competition Microsoft ever had were Apple but they decided to niche market their products by the illusion of over valuing, charging a lot more for things which do the same job as the cheaper M$ systems and stealing other peoples ideas and repackaging them all pretty like.

Oprah is somewhat a saint compared to the corporate rich but the difference between herself and them is she didn't make it by screwing over everyone else as is true with most celebrities
edit on 1/1/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

she didn't make it by screwing over everyone else as is true with most celebrities

This is the point I was trying to make.

As to Gates... Perhaps I missed something. Regardless, he's one of the lesser sinners. I'm not aware of Microsoft receiving subsidiaries.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Oh he was far from a lesser sinner during Microsofts prime years, any competitors who created free operating systems were essentially pushed out of the market before they started due to fears from retailers that selling anything that competed for microsofts monopoly would imbue microsofts wrath and force themselves out of business by not being able to competitively price their microsoft installed systems.

There's a huge list of lawsuits involving Microsoft, the best 2 are the United States vs Microsoft and the European Union vs Microsoft Microsoft litigation

But this is what happens when greed becomes greater than ambition in a capitalist world

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

What I mean is that as far as I'm aware, he didn't bribe (er, sorry, "donate") any politicians and get them to make something like the TPP. Regardless, I'd like the Koch brothers to face justice before Gates does. At least Microsoft isn't actively destroying the planet...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Who paid for your college was it all of us....... With fafsa I don't have fafsa can'yht fafsa

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   

"The state takes in tax money; everyone is granted a certain sum to provide for their basic needs; and everyone can then work without feeling that they must beg a faceless corporate monster for enough income to cover rent and food and child care."

That sentence right there sums up why this millenial's attitude is all wrong.

You are not begging for anything. you are WORKING for it.

Huge difference. The fact that they cannot see that is the root of this particular millenial's (and many other's) problem.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: poncho1982

Most conservative folks who went to college went on free fafsa college money!

edit on 1-1-2016 by johnvictor because: Making a point

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Unfortunately, it is becoming more frequent that those corporations are the one's providing what one needs to live in the world.

Strange that one only hears about so called "taxpayers" whining about paying someone else's way, when the corporations are the entities actually providing what one eats and drinks and constructs their dwellings with....

The entire system runs on debt, the more debt the better to print more money, the more money printing the less value it retains, the less value money retains, the more actual and real stuff is worth.

It's all a scam. It will end when there are no resources left to provide for one's self sufficiency except from the corporations that own all the real actual stuff.

Just think of it like this, one day, everywhere you go besides your bunk is posted with a no trespassing sign.

Kinda like that already....

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."
-Henry Ford

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnvictor
a reply to: poncho1982

Most conservative folks who went to college went on free fafsa college money!

Source?

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnvictor

Who paid for your college was it all of us....... With fafsa I don't have fafsa can'yht fafsa

I paid for every dime of it. My family is (relatively speaking) dirt poor. I am the only one with a six figure salary today.

I'm somewhat appalled that you'd suggest I did anything but pay my way through college, to be honest.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982

"The state takes in tax money; everyone is granted a certain sum to provide for their basic needs; and everyone can then work without feeling that they must beg a faceless corporate monster for enough income to cover rent and food and child care."

Huge difference. The fact that they cannot see that is the root of this particular millenial's (and many other's) problem.

It's the "entitled" nation.

Hard work, dedication, effort, betterment, and self improvement are lost on these people.

These children.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: RoyBatty

At this point anyone who advocates college Superiority is a conservative I'm a conservative a disgruntled one at that

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

And apparently the ability to not look down on others and perceive them as inferior is lost on some people. Conceit.

The belief that young people do not work hard or attempt to improve themselves. Pettiness.

Thinking that you alone have the right to fight for a better future. Entitlement.

The refusal to even attempt to comprehend the situations of the poor, the unfortunate, and the downtrodden. Ignorance.

The attempt to whitewash an entire generation while ignoring the sins of their own. Arrogance.

Do you truly believe that no one who is poor works hard?
Do you truly believe no one who has a sad lot in life does not try to improve it?
Do you truly believe that those who have been crushed under the heel of circumstance have no dedication?

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: forkedtongue

The problem with the mindset you are using right now OP is you ignore the fact that there are not enough decent jobs for everyone to have one.

You also assume falsely that poor folks are lazy or dont work or dont try to better themselves.

It is a game of musical chairs where there are many people and few chairs.

They arent adding chairs, but are adding people.

So there are always more and more people that work and live in poverty because there is just simply not enough decent jobs for the hard working folks that want them.

There is an abundance of decent jobs out there.

There is not an abundance of people willing to work their way up to earn them. Everyone expects a 50K or 75K a year job right out of the gate. Nobody wants to earn it.

People who don't want to earn a job like this don't deserve a job like this.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982

This is exactly right. People apply for jobs and then act like having to sweep a floor is degrading. When this generation gets the idea that certain things are "beneath them" out of their heads this will straighten up. Anyone who says that this isn't a laziness problem is full of it.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Thank you for the laugh. I appreciated it.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

In my field every single person has told me the same thing: Having a degree is worthless because everyone has a degree. They effectively serve as nothing more than a way to get past the first round of filtering from HR. What actually matters is what you can do and a degree is no indication of that.

Very true, but if you are going for a job where a degree is a requirement, you could be the best but never make it past the HR filter. If we speak of resumes the most important part of a resume is that it has everything in it that meets the HR filter. I have recommended people for hire then never heard anything to find out their resumes didn't make it past HR even though they actually met all requirements, they just didn't have it in their resumes. Once in the interview a resume is nothing but fact fodder to ask questions about.

Finally if you want to work for a company then you must continually follow them and continually resubmit over and over every time an opening is posted. If I'm hiring 2 people out of 20 interviews today and you happened to be number 3 you didn't get hired, but then in 6 months I'm again hiring 4 out of 10 interviews and you end up now let's say number 2, guess what, you are now hired. Too many people try once then quit and never try again saying "I can never get a job" but it is all about timing. I had one guy try for 1 1/2 years before I hired him...hehe

Of course, it's also a field where the typical starting pay is around 6 figures in most cities

Starting pay at 6 figures is very rare, what type of job is it?
edit on 1-1-2016 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
Put a 1% transaction tax on Wall Street. I forget the exact numbers but it's projected that such a thing would generate $8 trillion per year (yes, actual trillions). With that money we could eliminate income taxes and business taxes while being able to find the $3 trillion this would cost, maintain all other current spending, and even have some extra to increase spending in some areas while paying down the debt.

Where are you getting your figures from? The NYSE does about $1 trillion a month in exchanges and the NASDAQ less than that. I will be generous and call it $24 trillion for both annually, what is 1% of that? Answer: Not even remotely enough.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
a reply to: diggindirt

And did I say that the issue was people like Gates and Oprah?
Please, quote me on that.

People having obscene wealth is something I do think is a problem, but it pales in comparison to the methods often used to obtain (or keep) that wealth. My problem isn't Oprah, my problem is the Koch brothers, the Waltons, the Wall Street guys, that person who hijacked some country's economy. (Might have been Argentina.)

You were speaking of people who are super-wealthy or obscenely rich and those were the first two billionaires that popped into my mind because they're always in the news for the good works they are doing all over the world. But I see and understand now---it isn't the rich people you've got a problem with really---it's the rich people who don't do as you think they should with the money they control. And you are the judge of them! Now I understand.
What percentage of your wealth did you give away to help those who are in need? Did you reduce your standard of living in order that others could have a better life? Did you give 50% of your income to those who are living in poverty? If you didn't---isn't it a bit much to ask others to hand that much over to gubbermint for redistribution?

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join