It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, this is how a Milennial sees a solution to the "Living Wage" issue....

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Here is a small example. It would actually save money to just give every homeless person a house. Just give them. For free. (Or, basically free.)

That would depend (a lot) on the locality.
In the southern peninsula area near San Francisco? Probably not.

edit on 12/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
@Ketsuko: Did you actually go up to her and talk to her about it?

a reply to: Phage

Obviously they aren't going to be given mansions in prime locations.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Who's talking about a mansion? Try pricing a one bedroom house anywhere in the peninsula. Try pricing a one bedroom house anywhere on Oahu, for that matter. Not a lot of options on an island.

Yes, in some places it can work. In others, no, it can't.
edit on 12/30/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

My point is that they would be given what works, where it works. Perhaps it would not be a universally possible thing, but it isn't like the ones in bad locations would not be capable of moving.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

My point is that they would be given what works, where it works.

Ok. But that isn't what you said.

Perhaps it would not be a universally possible thing, but it isn't like the ones in bad locations would not be capable of moving.
Capable is one thing. Willing is another. In many places shelter is available but there is a not insubstantial number of homeless who do not want to take advantage of it. There is a not insubstantial number of homeless who do not want to relocate.

I understand and agree with the "housing first" concept. But to simply say "give them a house" is not the answer everywhere. It seems to work in Utah, which had a relatively low homeless population and an abundance of low cost housing available. New York, San Francisco, Honolulu...are not Utah.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blazemore2000
a reply to: Rabb420

Ahhh ... you just don't get it. According to the OP, hard work and going to school are like a magic wand... instant success! Or... he's just out of touch with reality.

I'm also a millennial and I can tell you that having a degree does not mean you will have success. It took me two years to finally find a job that was related to either my major or minor. I worked my butt off to get to where I am now and networked with the right people. There are so many people around my age that I personally know who aren't willing to put in the hard work so they can have a decent job. They rather do nothing and expect people to give them things they don't deserve.

For my area, there is about 800 jobs available "across the board" on a site given to me that helped me out a lot. A lot of those jobs are truck driving jobs that pay well. However, people my age where I live don't want to start from the bottom. They rather have someone hand them a high paying job without working hard to get one.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocketgirl

I'm also a millennial and I can tell you that having a degree does not mean you will have success.
It sort of helps though, doesn't it? I mean if you have 12 applicants for a position and 3 have degrees, which ones are you going to think about? Narrowing it down from there, being able to communicate well (orally and in writing, not txtng) starts to come into play.

Of course, that does depend upon the position. I don't think McDonald's really cares about credentials. On the other hand it's pretty common to see a college education listed as a requirement for jobs that pay well. And there are more people without degrees than with.

Congratulations, btw.

edit on 12/31/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

You are right it does help to have a degree. However, I've learned from my experience that if you don't have experience to back your degree up then you aren't going to get the job you are after. But if you keep trying then yes you can land a job if you have a degree. It might not be a high paying job, but at least you can say you have a job.

And thank you!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

It might not be a high paying job, but at least you can say you have a job.

...which goes on your resume. Along with your degree.

Which means you can look for a better job while you have a job. Which is the best possible position for a college graduate to be in.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Exactly, but some people don't see it that way. Some people think that just because they have a degree that they are entitled to a high paying job. No....you have to earn that high paying job.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Some people think that just because they have a degree that they are entitled to a high paying job.

You could have left the last 5 words out.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Yeah, I tend to do that. I don't why I just do.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

It sort of helps though, doesn't it? I mean if you have 12 applicants for a position and 3 have degrees, which ones are you going to think about? Narrowing it down from there, being able to communicate well (orally and in writing, not txtng) starts to come into play.

Of course, that does depend upon the position. I don't think McDonald's really cares about credentials. On the other hand it's pretty common to see a college education listed as a requirement for jobs that pay well. And there are more people without degrees than with.

The value of a degree has changed. I would say that now a masters has taken the place of a bachelor's degree in value. I do a good amount of hiring and at one time we listed bachelor's degree as a requirement and not just desired. What this means is if a person can not meet all the requirements they do not even make it past HR. We found a lot of people with bachelor's degrees sucked, I mean really bad, and so we made it a desire to open up to people without a degree but may have great skills and abilities instead. Right now I would say I hire about 50/50 with or without a degree and I have even not hired a PhD who's interview was not good at all. Unless the job requires a degree like engineering the degree many time will just be a the last discriminator between two people who are even up to that point.

If I was going to college today I would not stop until masters in what we would see as a respectable degree, or a degree that is a requirement for a type of work.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocketgirl

Exactly, but some people don't see it that way. Some people think that just because they have a degree that they are entitled to a high paying job. No....you have to earn that high paying job.

You can thank the liberal schools for that.. Get this degree it only cost 60,000 but it is a 100,000 a year job on grad...lol ya right... This is how the 99%ers came about. Frustrated kids who worked hard in college for a crap degree,got in dept, and could not find a job with it. With their liberal school upbringing they blamed the .01% for their problems, and they should be blaming the schools.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

We found a lot of people with bachelor's degrees sucked, I mean really bad, and so we made it a desire to open up to people without a degree but may have great skills and abilities instead.

That's a very pragmatic approach. Acquired skills as they apply to a given position can easily carry more weight than a degree. When I said that a degree is listed as a requirement for a job, it doesn't mean that someone who has a strong skill set will be disqualified (I've actually never found that to be the case), nor should it. But it is a good starting point, depending on the requirements of the position, as well as winnowing some of the chaff.

This applies to natural abilities to learn as well. Though, in a hiring situation, that's not an easy thing to establish unless there is a strong resume to provide evidence of those abilities.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

My point is that they would be given what works, where it works. Perhaps it would not be a universally possible thing, but it isn't like the ones in bad locations would not be capable of moving.

I really like this idea of Tiny Homes living near Portland OR, Capital city of the homeless I think... hehe One guy says it cost him $500 to make one and he just makes them as his service to the community, but there are all kinds.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Gives a whole new meaning to Little Boxes.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

This applies to natural abilities to learn as well. Though, in a hiring situation, that's not an easy thing to establish unless there is a strong resume to provide evidence of those abilities.

I have yet hire a "bad " employee so I guess I can read people well, but yes people can put all kinds of things on a resume, almost funny. A part of what people do where I work is to instruct, so we use that as a hiring point where each person needs to teach an easy topic that we provide well ahead of time. That there is the biggest tool I got to pick the gems from the coal so to speak, it is almost magical how well it works.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Gives a whole new meaning to Little Boxes.

Dammit you made me watch that? I think he actually said at one point "have sex with sexy sectaries" lol

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

In teaching a topic, one learns more about it. The ability to teach well indicates an ability to learn well.

Damn. That is a brilliant approach!

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join