It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

war on poverty ideas.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Grows like a weed. Hemp.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Education, and I don't mean just the 3rs which are essential and must be overemphasized.
How to balance a home budget.
How to save and make a portfolio.
start with the concept of a dollar a day.
Have it in mind that you will not be a renter forever.
Think about start-ups by pooling money first with fam then friends and then the community at large.
but this will come with learning to trust each other not an easy thing to do.
Susu Banking System
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Some have mentioned legalizing weed, it's Ok as that would cut down on violence ,but keep in mind gangsters are not generally poor although they behave poorly and makes poor decisions , as far as gov't programs yes funding schools and making colleges free or affordable will help, but not for folks are not in a position to take full advantage of it.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
quality education should start at pre school, kids should learn hard work from an early age to prepare them for a higher education. a lot of poverty in the u.s is part of a vicious cycle so if we start with the kids perhaps we could reverse the cycle in a few generations.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
quality education should start at pre school, kids should learn hard work from an early age to prepare them for a higher education. a lot of poverty in the u.s is part of a vicious cycle so if we start with the kids perhaps we could reverse the cycle in a few generations.

Agreed but how to get there, it have start with the parents ,now I do understand that many are generations deep in poverty, and the bad habits of the parents or more than likely parent need changing, if I think about the Black poor especially in southern states then the Church as an institution might be in a position to help, I don't know if poor whites are heavy church goers but they have to have a way of getting to them, some one of influence, among northern folks of whatever back ground ,pop culture may play a greater role but they need to clean themselves up.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I take that back poor whites are indeed heavy church goers so reaching them should have the same effect.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Part of the issue the way I see it is there is more to what makes a persons decision making process .....you may have a kid who has grown up with money and who has been shown all the right ways to make money, and yet has an issue with how the money is made,considering we rape the planet for profit not everyone is willing to go down that path,the whole thing is far more complex than simply providing opportunity...

I wish i had answers to this mess as the gap between rich and poor grows it is only a matter of time till it affects everyone equally ........

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I feel like society as a whole needs to have a solid upbringing and morals but that can't be provided by government, it needs to be encouraged by family and neighbors. It takes a village....

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
First of all, we cannot make war on poverty.

Ditch that silly paradigm. It's an oxymoron.

Neither can poverty be cured, because it's not a disease.

Poor people can be helped, and there is a lot we as individuals and a society can do.

First, we have to look at the causes of poverty. I have personally been poor much of my childhood, and my adult life, except when I was in the military.

Individual Causes:
-Irresponsibility
-Laziness
-addiction (not just drugs, but other things can waste our time and money, like gambling, or people that play video games for 100 hours a week)
-Ignorance
-Lack of Discipline
-Mental Disability
-Physical Disability

Societal Causes:
-Classism
-Racism
-Sexism
-Predjudiced against physical beauty
-Predjudiced against physical unatractiveness
-Injustice
-faulty paradigms (such as the wage slave mentality)

Firstly, some people are poor, and it is partially or even fully their fault. I grew up poor because my parents are horrible at managing money, and they would waste their extra money on dining out, going out for ice cream, and the movies. Both my grandfathers died when I was young, and the blew their inheritances in a year or less each on mostly dining out. They also love network marketing schemes, and have wasted a lot of money on that #. My father has always been a hard worker at his job (not network marketing.) And my mother was a stay-at-home mom until the youngest was in kindergarten.

I personally have been poor these because of physical disabilities resulting from chemical poisoning and a car accident which was not my fault.

Nothing can be done for people who are lazy, ignorant, or irresponsible. The individual has to fix those things about themselves.

As far as society, things like racism and sexism are obvious, and it's up to us as a group to change that which will take some time. Some injustice can be altered with changing laws.

One of the biggest problems is taxes. I forget what country, I think one of the Scandinavian ones, they use a tax bracket for all taxes, including sales tax, government fees, and everything else. People that are very poor pay no taxes. These flat taxes that are not considered taxes are really hard on the poor. For example, in Hawaii, just to register your car every year costs $250 to $350 dollars, which is nothing to someone that makes $100,000 a year, but if you are making $10 an hour, it's a financial hardship. The people making 100K a year should pay a $500 to register their cars, and the people getting 12K a year, should only have to pay $30.

I like the idea of voluntaryism. In other words, you pay for your taxes voluntarily, and you earmark where you want your taxes to go.

We also need more freedom/liberty in general.

For example, I met an amateur musician who was arrested and thrown in jail just for selling her CD's on the sidewalk in Waikiki. Why? She wasn't paying taxes. If she had a little kiosk set up, and was paying taxes to the city, then she would be "legit."
People selling weed get arrested every day in Merika, even though it's legal now in some states for recreational use.

People should be allowed to sell things like weed and CD's in public places without having to pay taxes or get arrested if they don't.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Also, are banking system is created to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Money should be gold, silver, and hemp which were all forms of currency in the past in Merika, not a fiat paper, or "cryptocurrency". what a bunch of bs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join