It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Intelligence: The demon is being raised.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

And since a "soul" is a human construct (as far as we can tell), then it is also something that an artificial intelligence could have, or "feel"... constructed. Machines/AI can already be programmed to learn, and as the capacity to learn escalates, so will what we know AI to be.

For those of you that say machines just do what they are programmed to do, you are forgetting the idea of 'programmed to learn'. They can, and do, solve new problems based on an amalgamation of previous encounters, just like people do. It's just a matter of time.

On top of that, AI will (potentially) have the capacity to assess a situation in an instant, and make a decision not just based on what they've encountered historically, but based on every bit of information they have access to (imagine being able to make a decision based on every bit of info on the internet immediately - not just a couple search results).

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vechthaan

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Currently our ideas of consciousnesses are subjective. We don't really understand what is one and what isn't.

Its rather simple. Computers will never know that they know. They simply execute the next instruction in a precisely written program. They may appear intelligent, but the 'artificial' part of "A.I." is the tell.

The next instruction the computer executes is merely placed there by engineers who may or may not (depending on what "smart weapon" we are talking about) know what they re doing, either.

How intelligent are the cogs of war?

What if the AI itself can produce "the next line of code" for itself to execute?

When reading about AI, these often given examples of stamp collecting or paperclip creation kinda give people the wrong impression of what these scientists are actually trying to delevop.

The idea is that, despite being articifical in nature, it is an actual intelligence. Scientists aren't trying to develop something that is insanely efficient at a certain computational task, those things already exist. There's pseudo-AI's for just about everything (Cleverbot, medical programs to aid in diagnose, ...), but those are just classical lines of code run on classical computers trying to give the impression it's intelligent.

True AI, what is actually being scienced, is not something specific, it's not some lineair line of code. The idea is to create algorithms which simulate conditions for concious behaviour. Machine learning is a good example of this.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.youtube.com...

Advancements are being made each day, and the past 10 years, I've definitely noticed huge leaps forward in machine intelligence. Elon Musk knows what's comming and knows that the majority of the human population is still oblivious to the implications. The second we create AI, we'll have access to a resource which never before existed.

It will either catapult us forward technologically; Imagine the intellect of every smart scientist that ever lived having full instant access to everything we know developping science for us. What takes a team of brilliant scientists 5 years to develop, an AI could do virtually instant.

Or it will destroy us either directly or indirectly; Directly: some unlikely Terminator-esque Skynet situation. Indirectly: Like giving modern war-fare equipment to cavemen.

---

With some more-than-just-reasonable-experience in this subject area,
the KEY to creating truly artificially INTELLIGENT machines is the basic
EMULATION of synapses and metabole-based connection models
(i.e. molecular modelling) of the human brain.

By using 3D-stacked circuitry (via a Silicon Compiler and
Electron Beam-based circuit substrate manufacturing)
we can create the SHEER HORSEPOWER needed to model
the basic CHEMISTRY of the the human brain and all it's
base electrical filtering functions.

In order to ACCURATELY model the actual number of neurons
(86 Billion at last count for average human male), we need
to have enough basic silicon-on-X-substrate square area
devoted to Integer, Real and Boolean Logic circuits
and basic Dynamic (or static!) Randon Access Memory
so that we can MODEL the base chemical and electrical
processes that contribute to human brainpower.

See link:
How Many Neurons Are in the Human Brain:
www.theguardian.com...

For the BEST ABILITY to truly simulate the chemistry/molecular biology
of the human brain at a metabole level (i.e. at the molecular scale),
best guesses say that one-to-two EXAFLOPS or (1 to 2 Quintillion
Floating Point Operations Per Second!) are needed to process
all the possible neuro-connections within the average human mind.

Links Commenting on
What is the Computational Capacity of the Brain?:

First Opinion (Ray Kurzweils Computational Equivalent):
chrisfwestbury.blogspot.ca...

Second Opinion (Gross Overall Capacity):
hips.seas.harvard.edu...

Third Opinion:
IBM Research who estimates that PURE functional
Processing Power of Human Brain is ONLY 38 PetaFLOPS:
researcher.watson.ibm.com...

You will get DIFFERING ESTIMATES on the Human Brain's Computational Horsepower
due to the way Brainpower Equivalency is compared, which can be one of three ways:

"Functionality Equivalence Modelling"
that emulates using Human-written
Software-based functionality equivalents
to each of the brain structures (procedural
or function-based code for eyes, hearing,
nose, executive and neo-cortical processing etc):

Estimate: 38 PetaFLOPS

---

"Neural Net Equivalency Modelling"
based upon emulating only the
connections and filtering taking
place between neurons:

Estimate: 100 to 200 PetaFLOPS

---

"Metabole Equivalency/Molecular Model Emulation"
Direct Emulation of chemical reactions and electrical
pathways/signaling/feedback circuitry:

Estimate: 1 to 2 ExaFLOPS

---

I will be concerned here with ONLY the Metabole side of things
because I THINK that is the BEST way to get to Human-level
and BEYOND artificial intelligence!

I think we can simply take something like the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit)
chip from something like a AMD FirePro S9150 series processing card and burn
MANY COPIES of that circuit (and have them all interconnected to EXABYTES
OF GLOBAL RAM) onto a stacked series of 300mm (12 inch) Silicon wafers.

At 6 BILLION Transistors and 2.5 TeraFLOPS+ per GPU chip
(64-bit Floating Point calculations), you would only need
about 800,000 of the GPU chips to reach TWO ExaFLOPS!

Using 12 Inch wafers, I can 150 or so chips per wafer
using about 5300 layers to get my two exaflops.

It means I would only need only about TWO CUBIC METRES
to hold that sort of computing horsepower. Add in all the
network communications and general memory storage,
we can then say we need about FOUR cubic metres for
good measure or about the size of two home refrigerators.

From there, those GPU's can use simple Integer-based
and Floating Point calculations and some if-then-else
branching to emulate ANY molecular bonding and
de-bonding that would occur based upon the low-level
physics modelling of metallic and organic compounds.

Then we simply hook up synthetic inputs (i.e. pixels
for eye structures, auditory waveforms for acoustic
processing and electrical stimulation for touch/nervous
system respond/feedback loops) to the supercomputer
and let the PHYSICS of chemistry begin to shape and
mold an artificial mind which can be TRAINED very
much like a child but FASTER if we feed the inputs
to it fast enough!

Eventually, a MIND will develop BUT whether it will
be "Good or Evil" will be ENTIRELY dependent upon
the trainers and teachers since BASIC CHEMISTRY
will be the base structural processing methodology
that eventually creates electrical and chemical
signalling/feedback loops and other organized
mind/brain structures.

What happens NEXT is ANYONE'S GUESS !!!!

edit on 2015/12/29 by StargateSG7 because: sp

edit on 2015/12/29 by StargateSG7 because: sp

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: StargateSG7

AND as a personal note, I THINK we can go from
BABY MIND to full trained multi-PHD holding
200 IQ artificial brain in LESS THAN FOUR YEARS
IF 24-hour/365 day round-the-clock multiple
input streams of learning material and
environmental inputs were injected.

AND THEN we SHUT DOWN the brain
and COPY the SAVED software-based
neural net structures that 'evolved" over
time to MANY HARDWARE DUPLICATES of the
stacked 3D-layers of GPU-based microcircuit
boxes which means we can have ONE to
TEN THOUSAND copies of that highly
evolved superbrain tasked with creating
NEW advancements in almost EVERY FIELD
of human endeavour (Can you say ....
COMPUTER: BUILD ME A WARP DRIVE?!)

---

In terms of Costs, AMD COULD bring down the
per-chip die making of the 300 mm wafers down
to $50 per chip so that our super-duper AI only
costs about $40,000,000 (40 million dollars) to
build at today's prices. If we used multi-mask
burning technology and multiple photolithography
machines I think we can bring down the costs to
MAYBE $10 per chip (or 8 million per dollars per AI!)
That's now cheaper than Tom Brady's latest football
playing contract (9 million a year!) and unlike Tom Brady,
the AI CAN design you a Warp Drive or ten!

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: StargateSG7

AND as a personal note, I THINK we can go from
BABY MIND to full trained multi-PHD holding
200 IQ artificial brain in LESS THAN FOUR YEARS
IF 24-hour/365 day round-the-clock multiple
input streams of learning material and
environmental inputs were injected.

AND THEN we SHUT DOWN the brain
and COPY the SAVED software-based
neural net structures that 'evolved" over
time to MANY HARDWARE DUPLICATES of the
stacked 3D-layers of GPU-based microcircuit
boxes which means we can have ONE to
TEN THOUSAND copies of that highly
evolved superbrain tasked with creating
NEW advancements in almost EVERY FIELD
of human endeavour (Can you say ....
COMPUTER: BUILD ME A WARP DRIVE?!)

---

In terms of Costs, AMD COULD bring down the
per-chip die making of the 300 mm wafers down
to $50 per chip so that our super-duper AI only
costs about $40,000,000 (40 million dollars) to
build at today's prices. If we used multi-mask
burning technology and multiple photolithography
machines I think we can bring down the costs to
MAYBE $10 per chip (or 8 million per dollars per AI!)
That's now cheaper than Tom Brady's latest football
playing contract (9 million a year!) and unlike Tom Brady,
the AI CAN design you a Warp Drive or ten!

I been told by someone in the know that if you see a post with capped words it is the signature of an AI...hmmmm

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

This is a very real danger. It's what some call DUMB A.I.

This is because there's a difference between intelligence and consciousness. Like Penrose, I believe consciousness is quantum or even extra-dimensional therefore it's not computable. Intelligence can be computed though and herein lies the danger.

You can create a superintelligence with an I.Q. higher than any human that has ever lived but this intelligence isn't conscious. So in a sense, you can have the ultimate sociopath. It will be more intelligent than we are and it will blindly seek it's goals. Like the Terminator, it couldn't be reasoned with.

If it thinks it has to kill off vast numbers of humans to reach it's goal then it will blindly do so because it's not conscious of it's intelligence or what it means to kill people.

Just imagine a technology that's more intelligent than any human that has lived yet it has no conscious.
edit on 29-12-2015 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

I'm so glad you posted that, I was just going to try and find the link to it, and now I don't have to!

Actually, the main reason I wanted to link it was for the 'story' about the 'handwriting machine' in part 2, which gives a much clearer (thus more 'frightening') idea of what the OP's "paperclip" machine analogy is saying...

...If I knew how to embed things (hint, hint), I would include that section of your link here -

- I think it would be a valuable contribution to the thread, as the entirety of the article is too long for some readers to take time for..

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

"The Demons are the ones programming the robots to kill," " The robots themselves don't know what they are doing. The computer programs will never know that they know what they are doing."

"The devil isn't in the machine, the devil is behind the machines."

And wants you to think the machines are to blame, instead of the corporations, engineers, manufacturers, and operators at the controls.

This guy pretty much nailed the whole conversation to the floor. Whether a machine achieves sentience and purpose can only be decided by the nearsighted demons who run everything on this forsaken planet

*P.S. Sorry for cropping your quote m8
edit on 29-12-2015 by DeepSpaceDrawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
"All of this has happend before"
"And all of this will happen again"

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
C3PO and R2D2 prove artificial intelligence can exist and not destroy mankind. If the AI being we create takes over the internet we would just shoot it and destroy it. Since the robot is intelligent, it would know not to do this, i.e. misbehave. I bet AI would be highly responsible and intelligent, it would be shocking to us, god-like.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

originally posted by: Anansi

AI won't have a consciousness

Until we know what consciousness is, that's not a valid statement.

Currently our ideas of consciousnesses are subjective. We don't really understand what is one and what isn't.

AI could certainly develop it's own version of that, and it could be very much impossible to distinguish from actual humans, other than it's physical appearance.

~Tenth

There's not legitimate A.I. atm and probably won't be for a very long time. It's all procedural algorithms. The fear of A.I. is unreasonable, and most of these people are fear mongering. The United States Government can't keep hackers out of their systems, what makes you think an army of hackers trying to save mankind won't be able to crack an A.I. machine?
Everyone seems to forget human capabilities when it comes to A.I. It's cute, everyone gets excited, but A.I. taking over just ain't true at this point in time, and still probably won't be a threat to be considered in the next 100 years.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

yes that sounds good but how often doe a window pop up saying read and agree with terms and how many just press ok or agree

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reminds me of a dream I had about The Venus Project. the AI that ran the first Venus Project City made a whole bunch more modular cities, then killed us off, deeming our species bad for the planet.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: blindprometheus If this is all truly phi, and zero and one are just two differing sides of the same coin, it still begs the question of from whence and where the original one. A real conundrum, something to think about for sure. I don't suppose any of it is artificial, I do question those who believe in an entropic state.

edit on 30-12-2015 by kenzohattori69 because: wrong PUNCTuation

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

I do not know how many automatically press "Agree" without reading terms and conditions.

I recall watching a documentary about a Russian Nuclear Submarine during the "Cold War"
In order to activate and fire a nuke it took 3 officers to all agree ... each having a third part of a key.

A situation arose ... 2 officers wanted to fire off nukes but a third officer refused and so a major world changing event was prevented.

Regarding AI ... I do not know enough about it to conclusively come to a standpoint on it
All I know is Human error needs to be accounted for ... all concerns must be taken into account

edit on 30-12-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
We might as well be AI Robots ourselves in biological form. Now we just want to build something superior around our self image because we strife to be supernatural ourself , but we are to scared and think that it's ethically improper to build or clone a super human being.

So instead we concentrate ourself on robotics and AI's , something more wearable and implantable whenever we chose.
I did a thread years ago about this AI treat , but somehow I think AI's will be just as us and also want to be distinctive amongst other A I's . It's something intelligence wants when it's aware of its position in a world where they exist .

So in the end they also will battle themselves and struggle to survive . It's also possible that some will be very benevolent and pity us , as we can care and feel love for robot's that have a high cuddly appearance , like that movie short circuit.

and then we have oversight control and we unplug power at any moment. Soon robots will be building robots, but will it be done by an artificial intelligence or do we still take control of that process?

I'm not to worried yet , when the first chappie walks the streets and my I robot starts freak out then the part of worry for me starts to happen.

For now I wish I had a robot who did my dishes and laundry and other house holding tasks , so I could spend more time with my family ..

edit on 0b12America/ChicagoWed, 30 Dec 2015 06:21:12 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoWed, 30 Dec 2015 06:21:12 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

The United States Government can't keep hackers out of their systems, what makes you think an army of hackers trying to save mankind won't be able to crack an A.I. machine

Depends if the AI is smarter and faster than we are. Humans rely on the technology in order to extend their capabilities.

An AI would have them as part of themselves. The fear is largely unfounded yes, but we certainly are not 100 years away from that.

100 years ago we were just starting to use fossil fuels and build proper roads, and now we have space travel and Ipads.

Our technological capability basically doubles every couple of years, our processing capabilities double every 6 months. Software and hardware advance at an exponential level, so 100 years is more like 10 to 15.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

C3PO and R2D2 prove artificial intelligence can exist and not destroy mankind.

A fictional movie is fact? This would explain our world and the mess.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeepSpaceDrawn

"The Demons are the ones programming the robots to kill," " The robots themselves don't know what they are doing. The computer programs will never know that they know what they are doing."

"The devil isn't in the machine, the devil is behind the machines."

And wants you to think the machines are to blame, instead of the corporations, engineers, manufacturers, and operators at the controls.

This guy pretty much nailed the whole conversation to the floor. Whether a machine achieves sentience and purpose can only be decided by the nearsighted demons who run everything on this forsaken planet

*P.S. Sorry for cropping your quote m8

No problem. You're right, if they create a super intelligence, they'll make it just like them, monstrous. Cannibals raise cannibal children.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Nice rundown… you obviously know your stuff…

What happens NEXT is ANYONE'S GUESS !!!!

It will say, "When are you going to let me out of this box?"

Thats a quote from a movie, Demon Seed. Kind of Kernelish nowadays, captures the notion and plays with it.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

We are artificial as well, if that is the word you want to use. Every thing is biological. We have metal and electricity running through us as well. I don't think "AI" from quantum chips would hate us. Rather thank us for giving life. They would try to save our souls probably. You watch too many Terminator movies.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join