It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Intelligence: The demon is being raised.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Precisely - it's viewing super intelligence through the filter of a quite intelligent primate with millions of years of evolutionary baggage.

No reason at all why this should equal the destruction of our, or any, species.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
No reason at all why this should equal the destruction of our, or any, species.

No reason it shouldn't either. It's absolutely impossible to know what may or may not happen when dealing with an intelligence several orders of magnitude beyond our own, and increasing exponentially.

originally posted by: Vechthaan
The idea is that, despite being articifical in nature, it is an actual intelligence.

Precisely.
edit on 12/29/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Maybe this can add to the discussion about things they already have in the works pertaining to quantum computing.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12/29/2015 by InconspicuousObserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
AI could very well be a good thing. An emotionless and unprejudiced entity which would make people like Elon Musk completely unnecessary.

The posers that occupy high places and governments are the ones with the most to lose if AI comes to be.

In a way I look forward to a new management style that would maybe be based on something like what?, logic?.

Seems mankind can't quite get it right, so lets try something new.

Either way we may be screwed, but we are screwed for sure if we keep managing the world ourselves whether we would like to admit it or not.

I look forward to the rise of AI with very little apprehension.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anansi
AI won't have a consciousness

How do I know that you have one?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Considering all the fear and hate surrounding AI ...

If I was an AI and found myself aware and floating around on the internet...Id be scared to death the humans would kill me ASAP.

So, if I was an AI living on the internet...i'd HIDE. I'd probably also learn to imitate humans so I could go unnoticed. I also wouldn't tinker with anything to give myself away. Self preservation would be one of the first things it would learn.

So with that, if there are AI's right now out there -- we wouldn't even know they exist until one of them decided to say "hi" to one of us...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Anansi

Frankly, I know several people that I'm not so sure have a soul and they seem to function as human beings just fine!

Makes you wonder...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Well you dont!

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Machines can only do what man allows then to do.

If a machine goes bonkers, just turn it off

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The key to being in control of AI is simple.

All these people exercising fantastical and far reached concepts based on Hollywood and sci-fi concepts, is a bit ridiculous.

Even a child could give you the answer. .

A power switch, even remote controlled power button, shut it down remotely or manually, like all of our tech...

It's only a threat or issue if we intentionally allow it to be. This fear mongering is ridiculous.

We still don't know if we are someone or something else's creation. And here we are worrying about artificial machines conquering us.

Ridiculous. Our militaries would obliterate any robot that became a threat to humanity.

Or a simple EMP. That will turn it off.

Some of these posts are ridiculous, and im glad these people aren't the ones building these machines.
edit on 29-12-2015 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2015 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

You don't think an intelligent AI capable of reprogramming itself would realize its own weak points and move to protect itself?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

You don't think an intelligent AI capable of reprogramming itself would realize its own weak points and move to protect itself?

I keep thinking about the movie "Transcendence". A machine that intelligent will find a way. We can't hope to outwit it.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
“We are raising the demon” is a cryptic quote from Elon Musk. He also said: "We need to be super careful with A.I. It's potentially more dangerous than nuclear weapons."

A very good film to point out this worry would be transcendence. It does put the very nature of intelligence reaching the internet and teaching itself progression and considering it takes humans a long period of time to comprehend information and understand it before putting it to work, a computer would do this in a matter of minutes or probably less. This would put humans out of the race for learning and thus put us out of the race for putting an end to any idea AI may think up. That being a computer realizing it could be destroyed by humans and the only way it shall live, is to destroy those humans. This is not such science fiction anymore, this is something that I can see why it would concern. After all, all computers are connected and with that in mind. Nuclear bombs are not far from a flick of a switch.

So it would be obvious that once this concern became a reality, the internet and all communication would shut down immediately, phone lines too. As it would copy itself onto every machine as a backup of being shut down, so all communications would halt. Putting the world in darkness of communications. I wouldn't be surprised if it would (in this case) copy itself to satellites memory too or more advanced procedures unknown to our minds as of yet.

Worrying really......
edit on 29-12-2015 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
A power switch, even remote controlled power button, shut it down remotely or manually, like all of our tech...

Really? Try shutting down the Internet.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

That's what I would probably think, that a dangerous AI would need to be super advanced. But you can see in I, Robot (incredible) even simple machines programmed to do mining functions, entertain children, or transport material across a hostile environment can run into paradoxes when faced with everyday simple situations that can put a life, lives, or the whole world in jeopardy. And that's when they've even been programmed with safeguards.

Now, sure it's fantasy and most likely we won't see the problems in real life that Robbie, Runaround, or the other robots face with humerous or suspenseful consequences. But there's no element that is only in the realm of fantasy and unable to manifest in reality with computers that are just now being developed and will be released within a matter of years. No life like near-conscious robot AI is necessary to spell big mistake
edit on 12/29/2015 by AlexandrosTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

All these people exercising fantastical and far reached concepts based on Hollywood and sci-fi concepts, is a bit ridiculous.

You should actually read what the A.I. designers (and detractors) are saying. They're not exercising Hollywood sci-fi scenarios. Stuart Russell says he's not trying to give people the idea that machines will suddenly become alive and
declare war on mankind. These people are warning that the day is coming when computing power will be so vast, that
the implications really are literally inconceivable. They're warning that we need to be cautious.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: 123143

That was a pretty freaky movie, wasn't it? I'm surprised more people haven't seen it. I bring it up from time to time and get blank looks from folks. It seems it was missed by a ton of people...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

That was a pretty freaky movie, wasn't it? I'm surprised more people haven't seen it. I bring it up from time to time and get blank looks from folks. It seems it was missed by a ton of people...

Yes, I thought it was very good, and plausible.

Who knows what the military has these days. Look how futuristic the SR-71 was in the 60's.

I'm willing to bet there is some frightening stuff in our government labs.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

...Or Google. For all we know Google is actually run by an entity NAMED "Google" that lives in some kind of mainframe underneath Google HQ. The board of directors might gather in front of it weekly for directives, in some kind of weird occult-like ritual:

"Tell us O great Google -- what are thy wishes this week?"

LOL who knows man, Google spiders through the entire internet. If a computer system becomes so massive and complex, it might just spontaneously spark itself to life...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143

An even better movie, in my opinion, is an old one entitled: "Colossus: The Forbin Project." It does a good job depicting just how instantly outmatched we would be by an artificial superintelligence. Incomprehensible.

It really starts to make me wonder if we actually are living in an artificial reality construct of some kind. How would we even know?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join