It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never visited the United States, I am afraid of America.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: VanGcouverite

Which one are you?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Which one are you?

Laughing

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: KEACHI

Good, one less pussy walking around down here.

Laughing still
. Naughty but that's a good one

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I can't believe the Great White North is so much different, but then I used to watch CBC when I was young and lived in the Detroit area. Growing up on programming like Oppsy the Clown, Mr. Dressup, Coming Up Rosie and the many nature oriented shows probably had it's effect on me.

Many times Canadians are portrayed as overly polite and folksy over here in the states. Personally, I wouldn't believe any of the hype about the states unless you are visiting a low income area of a larger urban city. I have no doubt there is an attitude down here, but I would bet that country folk are similar all over. If you were to visit bordering states, I don't think you'd see a big difference - like being in the U.P. of Michigan, it's a regional thing.
edit on 29-12-2015 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

We are all just both of those guys.

Drawing a true Canadian is against the law in these parts, so Canadian broadcasters and artists use this rendering, which are mistaken for Terrance and Phillip but are actually Tim's and Poutine.

It's a simple legal trick folks, nothing to see here.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
You'll probably find it a lot like Vancouver, filled with hipsters and fashion forward homeless folk.

That was funny.

So when you are walking around how do you tell the difference?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You'll probably find it a lot like Vancouver, filled with hipsters and fashion forward homeless folk.

That was funny.

So when you are walking around how do you tell the difference?

Oh it's done on purpose, it's an anti discriminatory policy. Kinda hard to abuse the homeless guy when the starbucks looks like it's filled with 'em.

Tenth

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The homeless are better dressed?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

What a brilliant tactic. So I could, theoretically, be getting panhandled by an entrepreneuring individual who is not homeless that appears homeless just because he needs his Starbuck's fix?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
The homeless are better dressed?

Probably make better conversationalists as well.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I remember one time a buddy and I crossed the border to ride Mt Baker. We were going up the lift chatting with a couple locals and my friend made some light hearted remark about God. I cant remember what he said, but it wasnt in any way a dig at God, but rather a compliment given to God in a humorous manner.

# got real.

The man looked at my friend sternly and said "Son, you cant talk that way about God,.." and proceeded with a mini lecture about the almighty.

Its not like I didnt feel safe that day south of the border....but definatley like a fish out of water.

I was more than happy to head back north.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

But..but I saw it on YouTube, eh? If it's on there it's like...definitely true, eh?

Maple syrup

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

Wasn't Ray Comfort was it?

I've just discovered this fella, he's a gem.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: tothetenthpower

What a brilliant tactic. So I could, theoretically, be getting panhandled by an entrepreneuring individual who is not homeless that appears homeless just because he needs his Starbuck's fix?

Yup. Actually, funny you bring that up.

When I lived in Toronto many years ago, I would park in an underground spot every day before going to university. There was this guy who drove a Mercedes, who would get out of his car, dress up like a homeless guy and go pan handling every day.

I asked him why once. He said his wife was a doctor and he made about 500 to 600 dollars a day pan handling, and so why would he do anything else?

Disgusting right?

Anyway back on topic, I just like to make fun of Vancouver for being the little hipster city that could, but really I'm just jealous of their weather since I live in very cold New Brunswick lol

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

[
Anyway back on topic, I just like to make fun of Vancouver for being the little hipster city that could, but really I'm just jealous of their weather since I live in very cold New Brunswick lol

One of my friend's family has a blueberry farm right outside of St. John's, I have been there in the late summer when it was quite nice but she showed me pictures of the winter and I told myself not to complain to her when I get a 2' snowfall in New Jersey.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

In mid April last year, the snow bank in front of my house before the street was about 9.5 FEET tall.

At one point I think we received something like 70cm of snow in less than 5 days.

The one good thing? If the zombie apocalypse ever did happen, Canada would be zombie free within a year.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Many times Canadians are portrayed as overly polite and folksy over here in the states

I guess it depends on the area. The overly polite Canadian, may be like the OP and afraid.

You will be never get that description of a Canadian from your average Floridian. In fact your average Floridian would pay the OP to post copies of their post all over Canada, and likely give the OP a bonus for every Canadian they can prove they stopped from crossing the border.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

In mid April last year, the snow bank in front of my house before the street was about 9.5 FEET tall.

At one point I think we received something like 70cm of snow in less than 5 days.

The one good thing? If the zombie apocalypse ever did happen, Canada would be zombie free within a year.

~Tenth

LOL Have you ever built an igloo?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: maybee

Every year with the kids, without fail.

It's the only reason to bring out the garden hose lol

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I have visisted the US three times for prolonged periods as my brother lives there. Going back out this year and will probably do a bit of the North Country Trail, or the Ice Age Trail.

Apart from surley taxi drivers and obnoxious airport staff, I have never met an American who I could not relate to. I was not shot or felt threatened when I was pulled over by a US policeman, and even managed to have a humerous chat that proved he was human.

The US does have a problem with guns and blacks/whites, but unless you go looking you won't find these problems. These are domestic issues and a savvy traveller can avoid any areas where there's known problems.

Now, if you were travelling to some places in Central and South America, or Africa, then I would advise caution, but I would not suggest you don't go.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join