It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Islam Hate Speech: Islamic Civil Rights in Tennessee Violated by Sheriff

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This story is 3 months old, but here in Tennessee we have taken in score if immigrants in the past 5 years and the vibe is hostile on both sides due to culture clash. Since mainstream media won't touch this, I am posting here on ATS for comments. CAIR requested DOJ investigate the Sheriff for hate crimes for comments made at the Pachyderm Club, GOP event. The issue is with Political Islam trying to indoctrinate their religion to 7th graders which is viewed by some as the creeping of Sharia Law in Tennessee.

Source 1

Source 2

Perceived as a Christian Genocide threat, they have started with petitions, etc All I can say is, things are getting heated up and the Politicians allowing the stomping of the Constitution, and the DOJ will most likely bring hate crime charges against those who are being paid to protect the citizens.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   

In sixth grade, state documents show instruction covers Egyptian religious practices, Hinduism, Buddhism, monotheism, the 10 Commandments, the Hebrew Bible, Christianity and Jesus being the son of God.

In seventh grade, the Islamic World is covered, along with Japanese Shinto and Buddhism, the spread of Christianity and the Crusades.

School board member David Bates, who was elected chairman Thursday, said it is essential to teach about religion, not of religion. Students are not being asked to believe in any particular religion, Bates said.

columbiadailyherald.com...

No complaints about learning the other stuff, just in learning about Islam?

BTW, can you explain what you mean by "stomping of the Constitution?"

edit on 12/29/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: mapsurfer_

hehehe, I think some parties may be reaching bit here on the "Indoctrination of children into Islam" .

Grasping much??

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

In sixth grade, state documents show instruction covers Egyptian religious practices, Hinduism, Buddhism, monotheism, the 10 Commandments, the Hebrew Bible, Christianity and Jesus being the son of God.

In seventh grade, the Islamic World is covered, along with Japanese Shinto and Buddhism, the spread of Christianity and the Crusades.

School board member David Bates, who was elected chairman Thursday, said it is essential to teach about religion, not of religion. Students are not being asked to believe in any particular religion, Bates said.

columbiadailyherald.com...

No complaints about learning the other stuff, just in learning about Islam?

BTW, can you explain what you mean by "stomping of the Constitution?"

On the source 2 link, the parents claim was only Islam was being taught but why is any religion being taught in public school? This was not the case when I attended long ago, and I got no religion exposure in public school. I think they said there was a cursory mention of specific religions, but for Islam they were reciting the pillars, memorizing the creed, field trip to mosque, etc. Now we are talking about a county that is 85% Christian, so there ya have it.

Constitution issues for 1st amendment were subverted with the federal Hate Crime Laws of 1994 and 2009, and the 2nd amendment Establishment and Free Exercise Clauses, the govt cannot promote a preference of religion.

I wonder where the free thinkers are on this issues, and why Freedom From Religion folks are not involved. No mention on the ALCU site either.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   

I think you may just be having memory lapses. Crusades was covered (an alleged religious war), so was Greek and Roman mythology (their religion) , and I think I recall learning about Jewish and Christian History every year, usually around Christmas. But, I was kicked from school in the first semester of year two, so I have no idea what would have been covered in high school.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

hehehe, I think some parties may be reaching bit here on the "Indoctrination of children into Islam" .

Grasping much??

Well my post was primarily about the Hate Speech with the Sheriff, and the school issue what the cause of the conflict. The governer floated anti-Islaw legislation out there which inflamed the CAIR people. It was tied in with the common core cirriculum, and I think they did away with that too. Not sure what you mean by grasping? Are you referring to that video?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   

nevermind that. In regards to this Sheriff though, I read that he was i a private luncheon when these remarks were made. Were they made in his capacity as Sheriff of the county, or as a private concerned citizen with concern to radical Islam utilizing his First Amendment ?? I believe this is where the discussions in court will go in defense and prosecution.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   

I think you may just be having memory lapses. Crusades was covered (an alleged religious war), so was Greek and Roman mythology (their religion) , and I think I recall learning about Jewish and Christian History every year, usually around Christmas. But, I was kicked from school in the first semester of year two, so I have no idea what would have been covered in high school.

The thread is not about me and my education. I don't recall what I learned in 7th grade, and can't speak for anyone else.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Look man, I wrote that in response to what you wrote here:

This was not the case when I attended long ago, and I got no religion exposure in public school.

I dont know how old you are, but I am 30, and I did go to public school in America. I was only bringing to light the fact that me, as a student of American public education, do recall learning of different faiths. This had nothing to do with how to follow faith, or the laws of the bible, Torah, or Quran but was always in a historical context. Except for Christmas time when the school would give a historical lesson about the birth of Jesus usually and was always seemingly accompanied with a brief explanation of Hanukkah (a holiday of Hebrew origin).

Not to mention the endless Greek and Roman curriculum that frequently went into the various deities they had and what they represent.

Although my first reply may have been cracking a poorly delivered joke, I certainly meant no offense with my subsequent reply. Please forgive me if you will if you took it that way.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Look man, I wrote that in response to what you wrote here:

This was not the case when I attended long ago, and I got no religion exposure in public school.

I dont know how old you are, but I am 30, and I did go to public school in America. I was only bringing to light the fact that me, as a student of American public education, do recall learning of different faiths. This had nothing to do with how to follow faith, or the laws of the bible, Torah, or Quran but was always in a historical context. Except for Christmas time when the school would give a historical lesson about the birth of Jesus usually and was always seemingly accompanied with a brief explanation of Hanukkah (a holiday of Hebrew origin).

Not to mention the endless Greek and Roman curriculum that frequently went into the various deities they had and what they represent.

Although my first reply may have been cracking a poorly delivered joke, I certainly meant no offense with my subsequent reply. Please forgive me if you will if you took it that way.

I can't speak for this incident, at all. it looks like it's being politicized by both sides.

I definitely don't want a major religious shift in the U.S., however. Pointing out other religions taught in school is fine with me, especially in a historical sense.

However, I do not see any Buddists demanding their version of Sharia law either. Visiting mosques is also not a historical education either.

Over-reaction to the Islamic teaching? Perhaps. Yet those that would see a Sharia law environment created in the U.S. have brought this reaction on themselves.

One has all the freedom on the world to teach one's children as they see fit in the home. Christian or Muslim. Leave it out of the classroom.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Well based on source 2, I can understand the offense to the families when the children were asked to write the five pillars of Islam, which happened to contain this :

In the Maury County School District, students were assigned a Five Pillars of Islam project that included the translation of the pillar of “Shahada” as being, “There is no god but Allah; Muhammad is his prophet.”

Even when simply being written down as a basis of understanding what Islam is, it can come off as really offensive to orthodox and devout Christians. I get that for certain. If I were to try to make that as neutral as possible, I may add that the student writes it out in a fashion like "According to Muslims, one of the five pillars of Islam is ..." followed by the offending line in question. Because as reported in the source, I get the impression that the school essentially forced these students to accept Muhammad as the prophet of the one true God Allah, which is the same exact meaning for God simply in a different language. Its not like Muslims named God Allah, this is simply their word for that title. The big offense no doubt comes from accepting Muhammad as the only prophet clearly.

In any case I would need more context from a source that is, well, less emotionally driven on the subject to discover the true intent or motives for that specific task.

In regards to the Sheriff though, I basically say if he was not on duty at this private luncheon, then he is protected by the 1st and I accept that just fine.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I never learned about religion in public school, nor do I think it should be shoved down anybodies throat. The less religious people there are, the less chance of wars or somebody being offended by something else.

Just because he is a sheriff doesn't mean on his free time, or personal time, he can't have an opinion. However, as a country, we seem to hold public figures to a much higher standard and assume they must be saints at all times. Whenever one slips or falls, its like starving wolves in winter. A pack mentality that attacks and destroys for a mistake.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I wonder where the free thinkers are on this issues, and why Freedom From Religion folks are not involved. No mention on the ALCU site either.

Those people don't want to keep kids from learning ABOUT religion.

They want to keep indoctrination and proselytizing religion, out of the classroom. There's a difference. Kinda really hard to teach kids about the Crusades for example, without explaining to them what either side believed in, don't you think?

When I was in school, we used to taught the historical significance of other belief systems, which meant learning a little bit about those belief systems.

People really, really need to let educated people decide what's best for children ( where education is concerned), as opposed to politicians and people who think their Jesus is better than the next person's.

~Tenth
edit on 12/29/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Yeah I agree Source 2 is heavily biased, but I could not debunk outright. It was the only identified as being the root cause of the whole Sheriff incident. I did not see any other info about the Sheriff, but CAIR apparently has been doing battle with Tennessee for awhile.

Source 3

It appears the immigrant are winning many of these battles, and quite assertive. I am trying to learn something of the federal hate speech laws. There are various UN groups which implemented International Law which seem to apply, but as for the US, we have the Bill of Rights and 1st Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Historically hate speech is protected as long as it does not incite violence, at which point it becomes criminal with the 10 year sentence. I have no idea what action the DOJ will take in response to hate speech allegations, but it was news to me that you can be sued for offending one of the protected classes. The Internation version of the hate speech laws are apparently much more strict and include all forms of racism and discrimination. There is much info on Hate Speech wiki page that is interesting reading;

Critics have argued that the term "hate speech" is a contemporary example of Newspeak, used to silence critics of social policies that have been poorly implemented in a rush to appear politically correct.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Critics have argued that the term "hate speech" is a contemporary example of Newspeak, used to silence critics of social policies that have been poorly implemented in a rush to appear politically correct.

I would agree with them. Much like 'hate crimes' that serve no basis other than to punish others more harshly than some, for the same crimes, these laws are stupid.

If you speak in a manner that incites violence, or is threatening for example, then we already have laws to protect the population from that. You can't utter threats under the law, you can't yell fire in a crowded theater. These are all examples of non protected speech and that's OKAY that we have some provisions like that.

Not all speech should be protected, but all speech should be treated the same, regardless of who said it, and about whom it was said about.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

HOUSE BILL 1418
By
Butt

AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 49, Chapter 6, Part 10, relative to curriculum for K–12 public schools.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 49, Chapter 6, Part 10, is amended by
adding the following language as a new, appropriately designated section: (a) The state board of education shall not include religious doctrine in any curriculum standards for grades prior to grades ten through twelve (10–12). (b) The state board shall provide curriculum standards for grades ten (10), eleven (11), or twelve (12) that teach comparative religion as it relates to history or geography, but no religion shall be emphasized or focused on over another religion. (c) If the curriculum standardsin grades prior to grades ten through twelve (10–12) include a reference to a specific religion or the role and importance of a religion in history or geography, then the state board shall ensure that the reference does not amount to teaching any form of religious doctrine to the students. SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.

From what can tell of the text involved here, this amendment simply reiterates the first amendment in the context for board of education policy to be written into state law. Its already pre-empted by Federal Law anyways. From what I can tell though, because they refer to religious doctrine. That means the Ten Commandments for sure has to go before grade 10, as well any single word spoken by Jesus I believe. I think it would still spare the Greek, Egyptian, and Roman deities though. One could probably make an argument though that any mention of people making an offer to a particular god for their blessing would also have to be removed.

This may actually backfire against their actual own intent.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

THanks I appreciate what you said in the last 2 posts. I do agree with your views, but am 54 old school, 3 young adult kids, ex military .gov, The press marginalized a jihadi who simply acknoleged importance of making sacrifices in the name of Islam, kills 4 unarmed marines in Chatanooga calling it a lone wolf domestic attack, unemployed UT student homegrown jihadi. (not just being alarmist, threat is real) How many attacks will have to occur before we are all packing heat on the street? Our local law enforcement cannot be trusted to defend us, which leads to us defending ourselves.

I am concerned that hate speech exchange between CAIR and law enforcement may be just the beginning. My facebook account gets bombared with inflammatory propaganda and fearmongering, pretty much breed hate, could turn social media into a weapon.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
WHen I see "Islamic civil rights" in a title I just have to laugh.
What irony.

ETA: CAIR is the organization that should be under the microscope.
The current justice dept won't do anything about them but it doesn't mean they are doing legal things.
edit on 29-12-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
WHen I see "Islamic civil rights" in a title I just have to laugh.
What irony.

ETA: CAIR is the organization that should be under the microscope.
The current justice dept won't do anything about them but it doesn't mean they are doing legal things.

No better than La Raza if you ask me.

IMO any group whose main purpose is to advance the agenda of any one particular sect of the population deserves some scrutiny.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I was taught the history of religion in high school. From an academic standpoint I don't see anything wrong with it.

<<   2 >>

join