It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What causes depression, me or you?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

You are going to feel better.

The words say 'you are going to feel better' - and if that is really heard then it will be obvious that that is of no help at all - 'in the future it will be better' - but what about right now??
The mind will just spit out words that tell a story about 'me and my life' and how I will feel later. Forget later and listen to the words and stories that the mind spits out. The mind will convince you that you will be ok or won't be ok - but the mind can only speak about someone in time - later - and how I 'will' feel.
Are you ok now?

What is wrong with right now......unless you think about it? What is right with right now......unless you think about it?
It is stories running in the mind about how I should be or how I should have been that make life heavy.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I started to think depressions are a blessing. Just look around how many highly intelligent people actually have it! They tend to see the world more clearly and try to do what's good for them, as many 'normal' activities pull them down in the black hole again. Self-awareness isn't that bad after all, this way I've learned to live with my ups and downs. A good diet really helps a lot, you're spot on.

Think it's both, a combination of internal properties and external kick-offs. Either way, I can work with it by adjusting state of mind and place to be.

Demons, eh?

The dream about being a person

True Detective anyone?

Check out Watzlawicks work regarding Constructivism, which added Dark Matter/ Energy and all other unknowns in a very compelling way. Take a look yourself:

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
66 percent or 2/3 of the time, internal, while the rest would be external stimuli, but like they say, depends on how you look at glass of water. Although external could always tip it even further, making the depression even deeper.

Ever wonder why Jesus, Buddha, and Spock were so disciplined, and impervious to many things, like nothing bothered them...Low Joy ceiling, because like gravity, what goes up must come down.
edit on 29-12-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It's a combination of things within yourself and external. Diet and lifestyle are big factors not just for depression but also for general health and well being. Other things to consider are chronic illness and pain which primarily which point a lot to diet and lifestyle. Constant discomfort and agonizing pain contribute to depression. As well as the mental state of those that you choose to be involved with which may not be evident on the surface. Such as being in a relationship with someone who exhibits signs of a schizophrenic spectrum disorders or sociopathic tendencies such as lack of responsibility or accountability with an apathetic attitude and lack of empathy and are in denial themselves which can bring someone into a deeper state of depression. Sure it's easy to say that if that's the situation get out of it but like I say sometimes these things aren't directly out in the open and sometimes by the time these things things are discovered and you see where it comes from you feel just too invested to just walk away, and also really do care about the loved one. You can't help someone who wont help themselves and if they are incapable of helping themselves they can't help you. But when you start to learn these things over a long period of time and feel compassion and sympathy towards the other person and realize they are just products of their environment just like everyone else it's hard to just give up because they are human and have value too. Bottom line it's hard when you discover that you've loved and cared so long for someone that is basically incapable of really loving you back it's depressing.
There are just so many variables that contribute to depression and it's hard for anyone to keep on point about so many things. Had to restart this post because it was almost turning into a book. So this is just a small summary of my ideas about the topic, maybe when I finally get enough posts will just start a thread.

My philosophy is pay attention to:
Spirit
Hydration
Nutrition
Activity
Rest

These are the things I feel are most critical to health and well being over all. Although sometimes it's harder to apply than theorize.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
My experience with depression taught me it was purely within my own power to control.
I created my depression and eventually gave it away for the curse it was.
Our emotions are always ours to command, we are not at the mercy of the world in any emotional sense.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I've started to think that depression and anxiety are signs of the ego losing its power, that one is edging closer to a balance of ego and true self. From experience, those who seem to be the most ego driven rarely suffer from these conditions. And why would they? With the ego firmly in control there is no need to question their place in the world or second guess their actions, ego knows best. But throw in a little self doubt and introspection, perhaps a realisation that the ego has a silent partner.. The illusion starts to crumble and the internal monologue goes into overdrive trying to reassert its authority by shouting over the subtler true self and convincing you that only it can navigate this illusory world.

That being said, while ego death may seem like a good idea, I believe it is only useful in the short term. Sure, its great to be entirely yourself, to feel the strength, clarity and wisdom of that Zen like state but it isn't practical in this life. Without balance you are likely to become psychotic and distant from reality.

This is a newish line of thought for me, hope I'm making sense!

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: March of the Fire Ants
I've started to think that depression and anxiety are signs of the ego losing its power, that one is edging closer to a balance of ego and true self. From experience, those who seem to be the most ego driven rarely suffer from these conditions. And why would they? With the ego firmly in control there is no need to question their place in the world or second guess their actions, ego knows best. But throw in a little self doubt and introspection, perhaps a realisation that the ego has a silent partner.. The illusion starts to crumble and the internal monologue goes into overdrive trying to reassert its authority by shouting over the subtler true self and convincing you that only it can navigate this illusory world.

That being said, while ego death may seem like a good idea, I believe it is only useful in the short term. Sure, its great to be entirely yourself, to feel the strength, clarity and wisdom of that Zen like state but it isn't practical in this life. Without balance you are likely to become psychotic and distant from reality.

This is a newish line of thought for me, hope I'm making sense!

For what its worth, I highly enjoyed reading your post. You grasped the concept perfectly and managed to explain it from a viewpoint I hadn't considered. I can easily understand and relate to what you described.

Thank you for such a meaningful post.

I encourage you to share your thoughts more often.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I am truly interested in your statements.

I would respectfully request you to elaborate if you are able/desire.

Thanks in advance!

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Everyone can get a depression. The causes are numerous. It's an imbalance of neurotransmitters for whatever reason.

You can solve it by finding the strenght in yourself and believing in the future.

A little help from your friends and some low dose of medication can help you to find your inner strenght. And maybe one will have to change his life style.

But don't underestimate the time it costs to overcome it.

And please don't put people in boxes. Every one seems to do this more and more. Time to throw this kind of thinking away. No offense to anyone. Good post.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
"We can view depression not as a mental illness, but on a deeper level, as a profound, and very misunderstood, state of deep rest, entered into when we are completely exhausted by the weight of our own false story of ourselves. It is an unconscious loss of interest in the second-hand -- a longing to 'die' to the false..." - Jeff Foster

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
There are 2 types of depression one is situational one is chemical, or it could be a combo of both.
Let me give an example a man has a beautiful wife and 2 kids all are doing well, he has a good job and his health is good.
Both his parents are still alive, and healthy. Everything in his life is going good, yet he is depressed for no reason, lets say he is 37, at 35 he started feeling down and it keeps going that way until 2 years later he is suicidal.
His wife and kids are loyal and supportive he has a good fulfilling job, other than a chemical change has occurred in his brain and body everything is the same.

Now take the same guy, at 35 his life takes a turn for the worse he loses his good job he has been at for 12 years, this puts stress on the family and over the next two years, he loses his house, then his wife cheats on him with long time friend and divorces him and moves in with him, then one of his parents gets sick and dies. His children abandon him to be with there mother.
Finally at 37 he has situational depression and is suicidal.

There is a difference, and external factors can play a massive roll in this.
edit on 1-1-2016 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

A well stated post, although it's usually not as clear-cut as that.

Even the man in situation two could have chemically-induced depression: his level of emotional-resilience needed to withstand the challenges in his life could have been derided by a chemical imbalance as the root cause.

Most people seem to be emotionally-resilient enough to withstand turmoil in their lives without resorting to suicide. Extreme sadness is to be expected for those going through circumstances like the man in your second example, but there is a difference between that and clinical depression.

Nevertheless, depression can be an extremely complex condition to analyse and explain.

In response to the title of this thread, I say this: both you and me cause depression; the environment and the self both play a role.

edit on 2/1/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Not worthless OP! Made perfect sense.

I've lived this. We must guard our thoughts and be proactive towards switching negative thoughts/situations, into positive.

Eventually things will fall into place for the better.

It's a beautiful feeling when we start to see and feel the change. It's our brain healing, every thought creates a new pathway, just like dangerous medications such as benzodiazepines or SSRIs.

As for diet, so very important. Our food is our medicine and our medicine is our food.

Exposing ourselves unwittingly to negative media of any kind is just like binging on junk food or even drugs. To much of this will lead us to a dark place/ depression, just as the contrast can heal us and bring us to a place of light/happiness/well being/inner peace.
edit on 2-1-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-1-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: pronto

originally posted by: FriendOfTheAliens
Without a doubt depression is caused by demonic possession. When you are depressed you are experiencing the recorded thoughts of a demon or demons that is in another dimension.

G,day mate
you may very well be correct
may i add somewhat tongue in cheek
Australians get depressed when the beer fridge is empty
it is also depressing if the neighbors fridge is empty
desperation then sets in if the pub is shut
resulting in a sad state of depression
lol

Hmmm, no offense and I'm sure you were kidding but this is a clear misuse of the word depression.

You can't become depressed over something so minor, it's a damaged mind, and an extremely difficult cycle to break.

Also too much alcohol can bring some of us to true depression.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join