It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

What causes depression, me or you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 09:55 PM
Internal imbalance?

External stimulus?

Think about it, lets say that you are convinced by either yourself or a doctor that you have depression. You have two options and no, they aren’t always choices as some may say. Nobody has the ability to alter an external sensation that affects emotion at will. The emotion comes first, followed by the mind's interpretation. With only a few extraordinary exceptions, holding an ice-cube, putting your hand in fire can be comparatively translated into every person who's parents have told them they're worthless to their face. Like the burning fire, everyone is going to be hurt.

With that in mind, what if the negative external stimulus around me is not generated by me, but only interpreted negatively by me? Could I be feeling the wrong emotion and is that even possible? I absorb negativity on a far deeper scale by observing micro-behaviors commonly associated with the seven deadly sins. Changing that about myself didn't seem like an option or even a possibility so I changed the only thing I was capable of at the time. Instead of changing the way I was interpreting my external stimulus, I chose to improve the internal mechanisms used to pick up these seemingly unavoidable emotions.

From a spiritual standpoint, my body was tuned to only pick up low vibrations. As I was low, every low energy stimulus was like re-syncing to the depression cloud, constantly reminding me to be unhappy. Why does my own manifested negativity ride shotgun with the negative external stimulus generated that I indirectly receive by others? Why does one remind me of the other and cause me to feel the same emotion? I couldn't stand that they'd both lead to the same dark place. I thought, why don't I just ignore it? Why do I put myself in these situations?

I knew it was impossible, but tried anyway. You know what happened? It made it worse. At my lowest, I was afraid to focus on anything but the ground when walking. Conversations were robotic and to the point. I purposefully tried to stop caring. Its equivalent to quitting smoking and then avoiding every single person that still smokes. I can stifle my own negative projections, just not everybody elses. Controlling external negative stimulus is a combination of avoidance, ignorance, tolerance and interpretation. I chose the latter two, as I must learn to accept it's existence and willful ignorance was just out of the question.

You'll have a hard time after the initial feeling solidifies to reinterpret what you've just felt in order to suppress any true negativity. I say let yourself feel it and know thy enemy. Change the way you eat and you won't have to change the way you think. The way we view the world is what makes us unique. Death will not be swift as depression will come in the form of a thousand bites. Learn to live amongst the wolves or be eaten alive.

Try to incorporate healthy food or at the very least, some kind of supplement or multivitamin into your diet. I'm not trying to blow the doors off of anything here, just a little friendly advice for those who know they don't really eat well and are not taking a vitamin. Trust me, your mind will naturally begin to interpret thing differently. Not better, just different. No consent, nor fooling oneself required.

After I wrote this thread, I realized how worthless it all sounded.

Interpret it for what it is, whatever that may be.

edit on 28-12-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:02 PM
a reply to: eisegesis

Not worthless. Thanks for the thoughtful thread on depression and the enigma that it can be.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:16 PM
Without a doubt depression is caused by demonic possession. When you are depressed you are experiencing the recorded thoughts of a demon or demons that is in another dimension.
edit on 28-12-2015 by FriendOfTheAliens because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:23 PM
a reply to: FriendOfTheAliens

While i cant necessarily disprove your theory (dark matter, dark energy, so much we dont know) my feeling is that the most applicable truth is somewhere in the gray area between religious archetypes/stories and modern scientific understandings.
edit on 28-12-2015 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:32 PM
Depression is a real drag. I have had a rough few days. Watched a friend die in the hospital.
I had a huge craving for queso and chips. I satisfied that craving with a few beers. I feel much better.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:36 PM

originally posted by: FriendOfTheAliens
Without a doubt depression is caused by demonic possession. When you are depressed you are experiencing the recorded thoughts of a demon or demons that is in another dimension.

G,day mate
you may very well be correct
may i add somewhat tongue in cheek
Australians get depressed when the beer fridge is empty
it is also depressing if the neighbors fridge is empty
desperation then sets in if the pub is shut
resulting in a sad state of depression

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:47 PM

originally posted by: FriendOfTheAliens

I'm glad that you signed up to tell me that.

You would first have to prove that demons are real. (not in ex-girlfriend form)

What you MAY be possessed with is toxins.

Remove them first and the demons will look for another temple to soil.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:48 PM

Interesting thread, actually I agree with a lot of what you said.

Suffering from chronic depression myself, I understand while suffering the depression one is always thinking why cant I get things done.

There are days that I cant get out of the bed, and I will lay there for hours trying to get motivated to get up. Many people do not understand how bad depression can get.

I am going through a change on my medication because the old medication no longer works. I was on a very good medicine for 10 years, it worked wonderfully.

Then this year I started to withdraw from all my friends and my hobbies and couldn't get out of my house. I thought I was going through a change because of my age.

I finally told the doctor what was going on with me and he said: Oh your medication is no longer working for you, we need to change your medication.

I have to say the med's are not working as good as the old on was before I got immune to the drug.

But yes I agree with most of your post, being depress one will spent a lot of time in their minds trying to understand why we feel so bad inside.

Yes, exercise and eating right are very important. Eating junk food will make it worst due to all the chemicals ingredients which are poisonous to our bodies.

I would like to add that there are many different kinds of depression that people suffer, but most can be treated with the right medications.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:55 PM

Cool avatar. It's creepy--I like it.

I have no idea what causes depression. I don't think that I've ever really been depressed. I've been really sad--but not without end or anything. After I mope around a bit, I always end up feeling better. Even when really depressing things happen, I always manage to find some way to make myself feel better--whether that be by reading or playing a game or watching a movie. Anything to get my mind off of what's bothering me.

But, I've had several friends who have suffered from depression, so I know it's not that simple. Just remember that there's nothing in life that you can't change or fix--except death.

It's anxiety that annoys me, lol--especially with panic attacks. How they happen when nothing's wrong. It's so disorienting. But then, too, it's key that you remember that this too shall pass.

The more you freak out, the worse it's going to get and the longer it's going to take to calm down. So maybe try talking about your depression. I've heard that talking about it can help. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

a reply to: Informer1958

What about talking to someone about it? You know that medication isn't curing you or making you better. Really. It's messing with how your brain deals with serotonin. I think you should open up about it and get all of that depression out of you. I get the feeling that you need to vent.
edit on 28-12-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:56 PM
a reply to: OneGoal

Minimal thought and poor editing.

If you can put Zoloft in your mouth you should try vitamins first.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:09 PM

edit on 28-12-2015 by OneGoal because: OP clarified confusion. Thanks!

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:12 PM

originally posted by: skunkape23
Depression is a real drag. I have had a rough few days. Watched a friend die in the hospital.
I had a huge craving for queso and chips. I satisfied that craving with a few beers. I feel much better.

You are going to feel better.

You know why?

Because a complete stranger on some internet forum is looking at that monkey avatar of yours like I'm looking at you right in the eyes. I love you and I'm sorry. If that sounds weird, too bad...

I just fried some lamb chops myself.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:16 PM
copper levels in the body can be too high or tyramine consumption can be too low. Also inappropriate enzymes used to properly use the tyramines can lead to depression.

Getting yourself in over your head in something you should not be doing can also cause depression. Being too far in debt can cause depression.

All of these relate to metabolic issues which they design medicines to compensate for. But medicines often have side effects and sometimes depression and anxiety symptoms are a lot alike and the medicines go the wrong way. Some medicines like some SSRI meds treat both of these so work but not for everyone.

What causes depression is different for everyone, a misguided diet does make it harder to control though. I have a hell of a hard time determining if something is caused by anxiety or by depression and I have read thousands of articles on this subject. It seems that a lot of professionals can't distinguish this either, so that is why they have to change medicines to find the right one.

Now if your parents kept slamming you saying everything you did is wrong, you lose confidence. This lack of confidence can cause lots of problems.
edit on 28-12-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:22 PM

originally posted by: OneGoal

Well that was somewhat unwarranted. I was thanking you for your insights.

I dont have much to add other than that depression is a real thing and that i wish you the best with it as i deal with it too.

What I meant was...

I wrote this quickly and didn't do much editing.

It's disjointed and lacking, but it exists.

The vitamin comment was also not directed at you.

Sorry for the confusion.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:26 PM

Both I would say. I have gone through many deep depressions during my life due to external circumstances (and yes, not knowing how to deal with them since childhood)

A couple years ago I had my dna done in order to find my father (who was adopted) family only to find he wasn't even my father...another story.

Ran my dna through a program which gave you medical info on the dna.

Found out I have a defect, no they don't want to call it a is a coding error, on a gene classified as the MTHFR gene. Turns out I have a 30% deficit in the ability to breakdown folic acid into folate. Folate is needed (among other things) for methylation of gene expression. The folic acid you don't break down becomes homocystine which is considered a major precursor to heart disease.

DNA methylation is an epigenetic modification critical to normal genome regulation and development. The vitamin folate is a key source of the one carbon group used to methylate DNA. Because normal mammalian development is dependent on DNA methylation, there is enormous interest in assessing the potential for changes in folate intake to modulate DNA methylation both as a biomarker for folate status and as a mechanistic link to developmental disorders and chronic diseases including cancer. This review highlights the role of DNA methylation in normal genome function, how it can be altered, and the evidence of the role of folate/folic acid in these processes. Go to: Introduction Folate is an essential water-soluble vitamin occurring naturally in select foods as well as in the synthetic form (folic acid) used in supplements and in food fortification programs (1–3). There are many critical cellular pathways dependent on folate as a 1-carbon source including DNA, RNA, and protein methylation as well as DNA synthesis and maintenance. Folate can be a limiting factor in all these reactions (Fig. 1).

On the same gene I have a 30% deficit in the break down of Vit B 12 into the neurotransmitters...dopamine (feel good) serotonin ( important in depression), melanin, epinephrine, nor epinephrine and perhaps other I can't remember.

The B12 wasn't so much a problem as the folate according to the websites I read so it was recommended I take large doses of both (probably the folate enhanced the problem) (there are other supplements needed with them so research is necessary).

When I went for a checkup I told my Dr. about this. He gave me samples of Deplin which is a megadose of folate. Seems big pharma had learned folate along with an anti depressant can help people. I took it with no anti depressant.

Thing is, you can get high dose folate over the counter much cheaper, as well a large doses of B 12 if needed.

Thus my belief it is both external and internal. I think the internal is important to explore when you are unable to get over the external depression in a reasonable period of time.

Another anomaly I have (probably due to the above coding errors) DNA analysis say I am 7 times less likely to be helped by an antidepressant on 6 out of 7 genes. The last one hasn't been investigated and relates to the earlier antidepressant.

in the early 70's I took a couple of these at minimal doses (1 for 10 days then another for 10 days). They actually replaced the serotonin. After the 2nd one I can't explain how good I felt for years after that. I then knew I had been depressed most of my life.

Some of the information may need to be expanded on and perhaps others can explain it better an expand on it.

Best wishes to you. Depression is truly a bitch.

edit to add

As I recall and have not rechecked so could be wrong. About 20% of the population has the folate error and about 20% have the B12 error and about 30% have both.

edit on 28-12-2015 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:29 PM

Oh my! I apologize for that. Thank you for clarifying.

I found your OP to be an insightful read. Thanks again.

edit on 28-12-2015 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:40 PM

I can second everything you mentioned in your OP, you just put it in such a way i couldn't, thanks.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:49 PM
A big hug and a kiss to all of you. A little oxytocin goes a long way.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:50 PM
a reply to: Informer1958

Thank you for sharing that.

In my own experience, I just stopped calling it depression and convinced myself that I was being empathetically assaulted. I changed my diet and my observations were met with more subjective, thought provoking emotion. I now ask, can I make the situation that is affecting me any better?

For example, my office is near the staff break room. Three delegates and the organizer were in there all yelling at each other. I started getting upset, clenching my fists, ready to slam my door shut, but instead just let it go. I started singing opera in a really loud and funny voice, walked right into the break room and put on a show. It completely STOPPED everything and all three of them started laughing. I whipped up a few moves to add another layer of distraction and by the time it was over, they went back to speaking like adults.

Mission accomplished.

edit on 29-12-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 04:00 AM
Depression is all about 'me'.
When the 'me' is no longer the main interest - the depression will lift.

The ego (me) is seeking acceptance from 'out there' and looks 'out there' to see if it is doing life right and not wrong.
edit on 29-12-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>