It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How deep is the partisanship in the USA? What about other countrys?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Ok help me understand.

You see in the UK we don’t really get that hung up on each other’s politics. We might have a big hearted argument 6 weeks every 5 years on election, then we settle down and all bitch and moan together.
Hell within my Family my dad’s a libdem, mums an Ukip supporter (good lord) and Im a lose supporter of the conservatives.
I have dated girls across the political spectrum and I have friends from UKIP to the Greens (poor souls).

USA I get the impression political differences can be almost violent?
Debates seem to get so heated and so intense. Even to the point of calling each other un-American or threating civil war and killing each other.

Is that just a online thing? Or a big talk or do you really feel like that?
Do you befriend and have mixed social circles of different political opinions?
Or are familys and frendships divided behind partasian lines?

Just a curious questions and one I would find rather sad if you guys were that divided.

I don't think it is as much about political parties as it is about Authoritarians Vs. Libertarians (the philosophy not the political party).

Even when the colonies decided to fight your Brits for our freedom you had the Tories and the Yanks. That dichotomy still exists today to some extent only it now manifests as those that value individual freedoms over collectivism.

I hope that helps you understand.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Somewhat. Though how would you say that affect social interactions and relationships?

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: forkedtongue

Really? You were " explaining" about party politics and history??

Then I explained the history of the demcratic parties affiliation to the KKK, and the fact that republicans were the party that freed the slaves and voted the civil rights act into place.

I thought she was going to faint.

Funny stuff really.

Good times man. True stories all the way. I ws dating Halle Berry and she told me "unbridled free market economics lead to the exploitation of working classes regardless of color." I told her about the Dems affiliation with the KKK and she nearly fainted.

Good times.
edit on 28-12-2015 by bonesymphony because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: crazyewok

I have a very close friend who is pretty liberal and we often butt heads on the issues that I, as a Libertarian, will find myself opposed to politically but I love her regardless and can separate the politics from the person.

Very true, one of the great mysteries to me was when some of my lefty friends jumped on the Ron Paul bandwagon despite having absolutely no understanding of his platform.

For myself, it was his isolationism that turned me off, his son is much closer to my own outlook. Of course, it isn't the ideological correctness of classical liberalism which I opposed but, his intellectual inflexibility in our current global circumstance.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Were you banned last election cycle

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I think all of our countries have some form of partisan politics going on.

But after being on ATS for 4 1/2 years, I've learned that the USA takes partisanship to a whole other level that makes the rest of us and our political bickerings look like a fricken walk in the park.

edit on 28-12-2015 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bonesymphony

Really? You were " explaining" about party politics and history??

Then I explained the history of the demcratic parties affiliation to the KKK, and the fact that republicans were the party that freed the slaves and voted the civil rights act into place.

I thought she was going to faint.

Funny stuff really.

Good times man. True stories all the way. I ws dating Halle Berry and she told me "unbridled free market economics lead to the exploitation of working classes regardless of color." I told her about the Dems affiliation with the KKK and she nearly fainted.

Good times.

No.

Actually she was talking about wanting to vote for hillary when she ran against obama in 2008.

I asked why she would vote for the devil.

That is when she inquired about my political affiliation.

The rest of your post....meh......not the first steaming pile I have seen in my life.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Were you banned last election cycle

Nope, never been in trouble for politics related stuff on here.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

a reply to: Metallicus

Somewhat. Though how would you say that affect social interactions and relationships?
'

Excellent question.

I generally don't care what religion or political affiliation someone has as long as we only bring it up when it is mutually agreed upon. Sadly, some people in the U.S. and other places use politics as a way of sequestering themselves from ideas and philosophies that challenge their beliefs.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby

One thing I've discovered about Brits.

They like to claim they don't do something they think Americans do.

Especially if it suggests they're saner, calmer, more socially advanced and have a better sense of humor.

We Americans were born in a bloody revolution, remember 1776 and 1812, we are not calm or socially advanced in politics. But we are willing to charge hell with a bucket of water when we think we are right.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

originally posted by: Moresby

One thing I've discovered about Brits.

They like to claim they don't do something they think Americans do.

Especially if it suggests they're saner, calmer, more socially advanced and have a better sense of humor.

We Americans were born in a bloody revolution, remember 1776 and 1812, we are not calm or socially advanced in politics. But we are willing to charge hell with a bucket of water when we think we are right.

1812 wasn't a revolution mate. Its was a failed US invasion of Canada that you started

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Ok help me understand.

You see in the UK we don’t really get that hung up on each other’s politics. We might have a big hearted argument 6

Have you considered this may be because you spend all your time being hung up on US politics?

Doesn’t really answer my questions does it? Only deflects.

And ATS being a international forum its going to attract people from other country’s.
Plus seeing as how US politics affects the FREAKING WORLD its only natural to take some interest.

Yes, that is pretty much exactly the response you get when you ask brits about their obsessiveness with US politics, while they seem uninterested in whats happening with their own politics.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I would say the more shallow types can't take each other.
I have some liberal friends who I like to beat up on and visaversa,I also NEVER have banished anyone from my Facebook.
They are too fun to argue with.

This is an interesting take.
www.facebook.com...
edit on 28-12-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Dont take our lack of social division and bile for each other for lack of intrest in our own politics.

There is plenty of dicussion and debate of UK politics. It just normally doesnt get as heated.

Well except on the Scottish issue

edit on 28-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
In many social circles it's considered poor taste to discuss politics or religion. I have a few specific friends who are loads of fun going rounds with. Its understood that it's gonna get heated quick, and it's understood that afterwards we're still gonna be friends. Yeah it gets just as ugly as you'd imagine. It's not something I can do with all my friends, most of them don't want anything to do with it. For the lack of willing participants sometimes one of us has got to play devils advocate, those can be really fun. Gotta cherish the few willing to participate.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Most of the people I know do not care one way or another which political camp someone is in however there are some who do take issue with it. Rarely have I been asked by those I know which political party I am in, but usually the people will ask that question will take issue with it and those people can be found in both parties. I don't claim a party, but even that with some of those that ask will even take issue with it. Those people I tend to stay away from more often than not or will try not to talk about political issues with them.

In my experience you can talk about political issues fairly easy with most even if there are differing views. The ones who take issue with political parties and bring them into the mix it is best to stay away from those type of conversations if you want to maintain a good relationship with them.

There is a big difference between the things I will talk about online and the things I will talk about with people I know.
edit on 28-12-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join