It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Glimpse of Chinese Aircraft Carrier Ops Aboard Liaoning

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Those ski jump carriers always look so funny to me. It's like screaming, "We can't afford or figure out the logistics of a catapult system!"

So why do the Marines not use a Catapult system or the Brits?

Horses for Courses, except if you have designs on being a superpower.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Because the Marines are part of the Navy, and routinely fly off full deck carriers. The LH classes are designed to move an MEU around, and with the exception of America and Tripoli, carry more helicopters than fixed wing.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yes, the navy realized they were making carriers just for the marines and quickly stopped that.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Interestingly America and Tripoli don't have a well deck, so can't support an MEU, which sort of defeats the purpose.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Yup. They are strictly aviation. No hoverboards, I mean LCACs or AAVs. I was thinking they wanted them for CAS support off a jeep carrier, but given the constraints on the budget I am surprised they made them at all rather than the normal LHD.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

They started them well before the budget mess.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

And the Chinese just said it will be a ski-jump, not CATOBAR.

So. could there be a third they are building that's catobar? Or it was a mistake in photo interpretation? or the chinese started to go catobar and found their cats won't be ready in time? Or disinformation?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

They're developing an EMALS catapult, and the hull picture I saw has a definite cat track in it. There was a report a few years ago that they were designing and building two hulls.

arstechnica.com...
edit on 12/31/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Could you use a CATOBAR hull with a ski-jump front end?

I don't mean they'd have a cat on the hull, but use the same section for two different classes. That way they'd just ditch the ski jump when the cats were ready without changing the entire hull.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Theoretically, but it would be extremely difficult. You'd have to replace the entire bow section to put the cat in.

The second hull is under construction in DaLian. They're also modifying the J-15 for catapult operations.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I agree. I was grasping at straws.

Ship building pix of the hull.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join