It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Liberals Admire and Romanticize Islam

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Happy new year brother and all of ats, what a great community.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I think the simplest answer is usually correct. They support Islam and hate Christians because they are hypocrites.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

I support anyone who is not a fundamental religious nutjob, Christians Muslims anyone.
When their religious beliefs effect my life I have a problem and guess what I live in a Muslim area and work with many Muslims and have a curry made for me every friday from my Muslim neighbor and not once have any attempted to convert or berate my life and the way I live my life.
I know many moderate Muslims (most are around here) and some have a drink some even eat a bacon buty as a guilty pleasure and all they want to do is exactly what we want a nice peaceful life.
But do continue your now very boring persecution card.
I bet you can't wait and want a holy war...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

I think the simplest answer is usually correct. They support Islam and hate Christians because they are hypocrites.

I think you're confusing simple with stupid. The answer is certainly simple but the answer given by Metallicus that you seem to agree with is simply stupid.

Most liberals don't support Islam they just don't condemn all members based off the actions of some of them. They also don't hate Christians because many of them are Christians and I don't think they hate themselves.

If we're talking about hypocrites, that is a title that finds a home across all political classes so unless you use it to point out the specific actions of someone it's just a way for you to dishonestly attack a group.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Yeah all because it is an opposing religion one creeping up towards Christianitys numbers.
All hogwash of course people are waking up and seeing through both religions.
I just don't get it I really don't people are falling for the BS a lot of the BS coming from Christians who just want to demonise people.
They have to hate some folk don't they? gays, trans folk and now Muslims again.
They want this Holy war and are helping other idiots stoke up the fire and hate.
Ignorant fools.
Not all of course just some and the media.
Media is half to blame they have to have a bogey man.
edit on 1-1-2016 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

And Oh look proof of what I say.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

The media especially has a large part in this which makes you start looking at who's in charge of the media if you're smart. Because when it comes to something like this where you have movements of people taking sides on issues of ideology on a national stage that means it's either because it is effecting them directly or it's what they are being told by official sources. Being that here in the US it doesn't effect most of us directly it's mostly what the media is telling everyone.

They are supposed to inform people about what's happening but from an impartial position. But when was the last time you've seen any news that didn't have some kind of political sway included??? A lot of it has not just a sway but a full on push to one side. So I see the failure of the media as being a huge part of this. They should give people the info and data but allow them to apply it and make up their own minds as to what they should feel and think about it.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Why do we speak up about Christian Fundamentalism rather than Islamic Fundamentalism? Because Christian Fundamentalism affects us (in the West, especially in the US). Where is Islamic Fundamentalism? In Islamic countries, therefor none of our business. Yes there are Islamic Fundamentalists here in the West but where is it in our culture? Our laws and government policies? Nowhere. It's private or communal... none of our business.

Is this really true? Is Islamic fundamentalism in the USA not driving changes to laws or at least challenges/interpretations to existing laws? That is a genuine question as I have only seen a few cases, so don't know how widespread it is.

I know of a recent case where a legal challenge was made to the arrest of a US Citizen trying to join ISIS - a challenge on the grounds of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Where do you draw the line here? Do you let him go and then most likely fight him later?

In my opinion, that case is a good example of why anyone, liberal or not, should understand that equal rights in all cases can not be applied without consequences that could seriously impact other citizens. In this case, other citizens safety. Does this man have a right to pursue his religious beliefs in spite of the potential danger to US security? I would say no, but I think the kind of extreme liberals that are being discussed would say yes - might be wrong though.

Legal changes within an existing framework is something in the UK that is becoming a major political headache as Sharia courts are being set up - we have something like 80 now in the UK but gowing in number. I am personally uncomfortable that courts outside the existing legal framework of law in the UK are being set up by a religious body. They have no legal basis to bypass any existing law in thw UK right now, but even that is being challenged and gaining some support.

I think there are extreme liberals guilty of pushing extreme interpretations of 'freedom' and 'individual rights' without understanding the potential conseuences for the country as a whole. Oh, and before rocks get thrown, I think there are also conservative , right wing, extremists too - the ones that would have us believe all Muslims want to kill Christians.

edit on 1/1/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Jewish folk have their courts also.
At the end of the day as long as the law of the land trumps whatever courts they also use.
Oh and challenged? sorry but they can challenge all they want they will not get what they want.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

I know of a recent case where a legal challenge was made to the arrest of a US Citizen trying to join ISIS - a challenge on the grounds of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Where do you draw the line here? Do you let him go and then most likely fight him later?

This isn't a failure of "Equal Rights" at all. We apply the Right of Religious Freedom Equally but not Terrorist Freedom. Joining ISIS is joining a Terrorist organization not a Religion. Confusing those two is what is the problem not Equal Protection.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Jewish folk have their courts also.
At the end of the day as long as the law of the land trumps whatever courts they also use.
Oh and challenged? sorry but they can challenge all they want they will not get what they want.

As with everything else - the lines get blurred unfortunately. Financial as well as family rulings (e.g divorce) are in fact being ruled upon by Sharia courts in the UK right now. Pressure has forced the UK govt to accept these rulings as UK law. This means a ruling in a Sharia court WILL be enforced by a UK Govt court. So whilst they can not rule on murder, for example, and get away with something outside UK law, they can infact do things like impose fines, grant divorce.

What is more worrying is that pressure is being excerpted to make more elements of Sharia law fully supportable and enforceable by the UK govt. If the UK model is a bench mark then it will also happen in the US. As I mentioned above I can already see the beginnings of it in a spattering of cases in the US.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

This isn't a failure of "Equal Rights" at all. We apply the Right of Religious Freedom Equally but not Terrorist Freedom. Joining ISIS is joining a Terrorist organization not a Religion. Confusing those two is what is the problem not Equal Protection.

I agree with your assessment that his lawyers claim for him to be released on the grounds of equal protection under the RFRA was bogus. But they did argue for it. That is the whole point.

There are those - and I would call them extreme liberals (but that is just a label) - that do push 'equal rights' in extreme ways, which is what I was saying.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I don't know what you mean by pushing for equal rights in an extreme way. If you push equal rights then you're pushing the same equal rights on everyone so how is it extreme??? It's no more extreme for one person than it is for another. I don't think any Liberals would find it insulting to be accused of pushing for equal rights in an extreme way. Equal rights and protections puts everyone on equal footing. It's when you push for some to be above or below others is when there is trouble.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I don't know what you mean by pushing for equal rights in an extreme way. If you push equal rights then you're pushing the same equal rights on everyone so how is it extreme??? It's no more extreme for one person than it is for another. I don't think any Liberals would find it insulting to be accused of pushing for equal rights in an extreme way. Equal rights and protections puts everyone on equal footing. It's when you push for some to be above or below others is when there is trouble.

Probably better that I rephrase to be clearer - extreme liberals use 'equal rights' as a bow wave to further aims that are anything but equal.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Probably better that I rephrase to be clearer - extreme liberals use 'equal rights' as a bow wave to further aims that are anything but equal.

Ok, now we're on the same page and I get what you're trying to say.

That happens from both sides though just to be honest. Sometimes with a variety of labels however. Feminists might use "Equality" as a way to leverage extra rights above others instead of making us equal. Liberals might use it in a similar way as do Conservatives.

All groups have been known to do this because they typically see their group being treated unfairly and their attackers as getting something they don't get. But this isn't exclusive to any group. I suppose we could try and find every case where this is done and see who actually did it the most but I doubt that would be possible. I think it's probably more reasonable to simply agree that various groups use that tactic from time to time. More importantly is that we notice when it's being done and act to stop it regardless of who does it. Because that is what is in the true spirit of "Equal Rights".

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Yes - all goups do it. Totally agree.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Just a point. There are factual statistics that address inequality.

It's not all about "my own butt hurts".

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Inequality (in some cases huge inequality) still exists for sure, statistics or not.
The "butt hurt" crowd, in many cases, are the extremeists I was referring to.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Inequality (in some cases huge inequality) still exists for sure, statistics or not.
The "butt hurt" crowd, in many cases, are the extremeists I was referring to.

OK.

Yes. Extremists come in ALL favors.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Of course. I'm not saying all "equality" arguments are actually sneaky ways to get over on others. Clearly there are very legit cases of inequality happening all around us. I was giving an example of how some people use the "equality" idea as a tactic to try and put themselves above another by using the label in a false way.

In fact because of how people sometimes use "equality" falsely and get exposed for it, it harms the whole idea of Equal Rights. It makes it so even when someone claims it in a valid situation people will ignore it because they've seen the misuse of it too often and no longer believe it to be honest.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25 >>

join