It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A racist black professor lectures all white people on how racist they are.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

He spent a tonnage of time acknowledging his own faults and simply asked that everyone do the same.

I've spent a lot of time figuring out and coming to terms with my faults, and I assure you there are many of them.....racism is not one of them.
Yet this man seems to know me better than myself and assumes that simply because I am 'White' that I am a racist - the man is an idiot and is only serving to perpetuate racism.

He should get off his arse and out of his ivory tower, go down into the community and do something constructive with his life.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

I wonder how many of these other countries have to deal with white guilt ignorance and white privilege propaganda and handouts, pity, and coddling to minorities for # they had nothing to do with... My guess is none, other than America. A country that only took in 4.4% of the slaves in the entire slave trade.

I grew up in the South and I've lived in the Northeast for the nearly 20 years as an adult. White privilege is a thing. It's not a free pass, it's not a guarantee of economic success or freedom from mistreatment by the criminal justice system or a shield against police brutality. What it is though is the absence of concern for these things.

Money - Airbnb Hosts Are Racist, Study Finds

African American travelers may have a harder time securing an Airbnb rental than white ones, according to a new study from Harvard Business School.

In an experiment, the researchers found that Airbnb hosts were 16% less likely to accept fictional guests with African American-sounding names than guests with white-sounding names — even though the guests had otherwise identical profiles.

That's one recent (article from this month) example of white privilege in action, quantified by research. White privilege isn't an advantage so much as the lack of race based disadvantages.

What exactly is white guilt? Is it acknowledging the differences in how two otherwise identical individuals — one black and one white — will be treated by a majority white society? It is being aware of the fact that black people have only had equal civil rights protections for 51 years and realizing that centuries of racism, pervasive throughout all aspects of society, and all this history entails aren't something that can be easily overcome?

Take a look at the stats here: Infoplease - The Wage Gap, by Gender and Race. The closest black folks have ever been to making the same as their white counterparts was 1999? What that table doesn't show is that progress was being made right up through 1975 when we hit peak manufacturing employment. If the manufacturing sector had held out, we'd likely have much better race relations right now. It didn't. Progress towards economic equality stalled and then reversed.

Is it white guilt that makes me cognizant of objective reality? No. I don't feel guilty about being white nor do I feel guilty about what other white people do or have done. I choose not to be ignorant and I choose to recognize what's actually going on because I want society to improve.

EDIT:

As for the rest of your post:

I doubt you understand what's happening in our country well enough that you should concern yourself with race relations in others.

edit on 2015-12-28 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I apologize for using your offhand remarks as a platform for further arguments. Also, I am not a pacifist. I just think that if the professor's ideas are that wrong, they can be proven to be so with civil discussion. If we were to beat him, and those who espouse similar opinions, notions like that get driven into the underground where they fester and become something worse.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
And people pay to do courses like that?

Anyway Im not racist I hate everyone equally

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: forkedtongue

You are talking about a specific circumstance where two agree to put up their dukes..still violent.

As for the subject at hand, white privilege is more about being treated as we all should.

I have made friends recently with a fellow audiophile now living in Canada, formerly in California. He is in the medical profession and drives a nice car, he was amazed and blown away after moving to Canada..why, because the police here did not pull him over on a weekly or daily basis. In Cali they would pull him over for nothing..for being black in a nice car, they ask for regi's and licence, proceed to ask who's car it was even though it says on the regi's..lol. Once settled in Canada he says I would be driving and see a cop coming in the opposing lane and always expected to see the cops kick a u turn and pull him over..but in a year it just hasn't happened, well once he said..saw the lights behind him, thought oh no, expecting the usual, the cop asked if he knew why he was being pulled over..he says no, cop says your tailight is busted, my friend asks permission to get out and look..cop says of course..lol, just letting you know to get it fixed and have a nice day.
His one and only interaction..I think he is pretty happy here, it opened my eyes a little bit, not that I am blind to it, but do not live in the U.S. to see it.

I have a question for you.

Pretend you are a cop, and you want to catch criminals.

Who are you going to look for?

Will you play it dumb and hard and assume everyone is a criminal, or will you follow the clear statistics to find the criminals the easy way?

Guess what, blacks are more likely to commit crimes. It is a fact in America.

So do you ignore this or use it?

What if you are on the gang task force.

Are you going to stop the white suberbia kid, or the mexican with gang tats all over him?

It isnt so cut and dried as you are claiming.

There are very valid reasons for profiling minorities.

Just like humans do in every thing in life.

If you fish, and you know this spot is a winner all the time, do you go somewhere else?

No you play it smart.

Black thug culture is the primary force that is driving young black males straight to jail cells.

It isnt because they are black, it is because it is easy.

They teach young black men to live like they are in a rap video, and when they do, they go to jail.

Whites who act this way also spend a lot of time in jail.

It isnt race that is at the heart of the issue.

It is culture.

MLK would role over in his grave to see what the freedom he helped bring his people has led to.

Sure it is perfectly legal to immulate rap video thugs.

But is it smart to do so?

I know plenty of black men that cant stand the black thug culture.

They get told they arent "black enough" by their own race a lot from what they tell me.

Their kids get made fun of at school because they speak english correctly, instead of the gibberish "ebonics" most blacks seem to favor today in America.

I would never higher a person, no matter their race, if they talked and wrote like that.

Neither will anyone else.

I dont know how to fix these issues.

I just know they exist.

As long as they do, blacks will be arrested more often, and spend more time in jail than whites.

The problem isnt whites or racism, it is blacks not teaching act right to their kids in the home.

My white kids will likely never see the inside of a jail cell, because as soon as they try to act like a thug, I will put an end to it.

My white kids will talk and write correctly. They will have their pants pulled up to their wastes.

Because we taught them how to succeed in the world, not how to fail and blame it on other people.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus

Pure and simple we are all racist in nature (feel free to pretend not to be). We have been trained to profile people naturally (survival mechanism) and socially (to profile appearances). You cannot describe someone accurately without acknowledging the skin colour, otherwise you would be a terrible eye witness.

Just don't judge them assuming you know the person because of the culture you have associated with them. Skin is irrelevant, so is events occurring before you were born.

This is exactly what I was trying to say.

My dog used to bark at black people, was he racist, or is he being cautious of unfamiliar creatures?

You are spot-on. Ever seen a rabit take a nap in a lions mouth? Not saying the differences are that big, but all animals associate safety with the ones they resemble.

This should be publicly talked about, as well as employability breaking the cycles.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Mystik,

I don't think we should revise or erase cultural histories. Too much has already been lost. The burning of the Library at Alexandria is constantly in my thoughts.

Every culture should be celebrated for its uniqueness and history.

I'm a foodie. I LOVE all the different kinds of food the world offers - Italian, Indian, Thai, Japanese, German, French, Mexican, et al. I revel in knowing the history of sushi and the development of those wonderful French sauces. I LOVE Mexican food and tacos are one of my most frequent meals.

I don't want to lose our collective past. It is incredibly rich and the human memory is incredibly frail.

We all instinctively yearn to know where we came from, how and why. We shouldn't lose that to politically correct thinking. That is devolution and it serves no one but the devil in us.
edit on 12/28/15 by 123143 because: BLOODY SPELLING

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Greven

Having had a prof much like this one ... the class rebelled against him.

Sure, you don't have to stand around listening to something you don't like. I recall once I ended up in a shouting match with a classmate once over a difference of opinion on politics and economics, but we didn't hate each other nor did we get involved in a physical altercation.

Someone implying or asserting that they would assault someone for a rather benign letter like that professor's is... rather worrying.

Try not to lose sleep over it. You have a greater chance at being killed in a terrorist attack than being assaulted by someone that disagrees with you.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408
Am I reading that correct?

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Tell me about it... Not to roll off topic but he wouldn't have made it in the 80's and 90's. Much less the decades prior.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The professor undoubtedly expresses a bigoted mindset when he paints a whole race with one brush. However, there does exist people of all racial backgrounds that are guilty of the behaviour he speaks about which is perpetuated by their conditioned ignorant perspectives and/or beliefs.

Forget the fact hes broadly generalizing and shaming an entire group of people.

+

This article is mind numbing in it's utter lack of self awareness and hypocrisy.

He would fit in well here on ATS with some folks....

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: forkedtongue

Will you play it dumb and hard and assume everyone is a criminal, or will you follow the clear statistics to find the criminals the easy way?

You mean statistics like these (pg. 4 of report):

Ferguson’s law enforcement practices overwhelmingly impact African Americans. Data collected by the Ferguson Police Department from 2012 to 2014 shows that African Americans account for 85% of vehicle stops, 90% of citations, and 93% of arrests made by FPD officers, despite comprising only 67% of Ferguson’s population.

African Americans are more than twice as likely as white drivers to be searched during vehicle stops even after controlling for non-race based variables such as the reason the vehicle stop was initiated, but are found in possession of contraband 26% less often than white drivers, suggesting officers are impermissibly considering race as a factor when determining whether to search.

Or did you have something else in mind?

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

All it takes is one person and these idiots will either stop or someone else will step up and do the same thing.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

That's their mentality... There are some black people out there that will call you a racist just for telling them no or not smiling and saying hi when you cross paths with them. I only use blacks because there aren't many Hispanics down here, and most of the blacks here seem to walk around with a chip on their shoulder like you owe them something. Like you said, it's that victim mentality they've got ingrained in their head. In High School (mid to late 90's), most of my friends were black and nobody seemed to have animosity like they do now. This current racial divide has caused more damage among Americans than the craptastic economy.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

originally posted by: forkedtongue

You mean statistics like these (pg. 4 of report):

Ferguson’s law enforcement practices overwhelmingly impact African Americans. Data collected by the Ferguson Police Department from 2012 to 2014 shows that African Americans account for 85% of vehicle stops, 90% of citations, and 93% of arrests made by FPD officers, despite comprising only 67% of Ferguson’s population.

African Americans are more than twice as likely as white drivers to be searched during vehicle stops even after controlling for non-race based variables such as the reason the vehicle stop was initiated, but are found in possession of contraband 26% less often than white drivers, suggesting officers are impermissibly considering race as a factor when determining whether to search.

Or did you have something else in mind?

Yes those work just fine.

It isnt because they are black.

It isnt racial.

It is simple statistics.

Blacks commit more crimes than whites.

Therefore are stopped and or checked out more often than whites.

If the cops werent so successful with this strategy, they wouldnt be employing it.

As soon as blacks commit less crimes than whites, whites will be the ones being stopped more often, searched more often etc.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

LOL, bad awareness, bad!

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Mandroid7

You punch him in the mouth, and I will kick him when he's down.

It is high time for PC bully beatdowns in this country.

I'm amazed you and others are putting this into print.

So, you disagree with someone's politics, and that gives you free rein to beat them?

Because every bully deserves an arse whooping and nobody cares about a bully. The professor is a bully.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: DAVID64

That's their mentality... There are some black people out there that will call you a racist just for telling them no or not smiling and saying hi when you cross paths with them. I only use blacks because there aren't many Hispanics down here, and most of the blacks here seem to walk around with a chip on their shoulder like you owe them something. Like you said, it's that victim mentality they've got ingrained in their head. In High School (mid to late 90's), most of my friends were black and nobody seemed to have animosity like they do now. This current racial divide has caused more damage among Americans than the craptastic economy.

I agree.

I think most of it is because of obama honestly.

He didnt cause the issue, it was already there festering.

He is the guy that keeps poking it though, using it for political capital.

He isnt the instigator though.

He is just the guy rubbing salt in the wounds.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Mandroid7

You punch him in the mouth, and I will kick him when he's down.

It is high time for PC bully beatdowns in this country.

I'm amazed you and others are putting this into print.

So, you disagree with someone's politics, and that gives you free rein to beat them?

Because every bully deserves an arse whooping and nobody cares about a bully. The professor is a bully.

Though I too am a country boy, so maybe it is just the common sense we acquire out here in the sticks speaking.

City folks.........I will never understand them.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
a reply to: TheBulk

The problem with that is the Gov't are the real bullies. People need to strategize and come together in order to think of a solution to eliminate the enemy within. When that happens, everything will change. Until then, nothing. I truly hope it does though, and soon. People are smarter than that, they know what's going on however, they need a leader to pave the way, something to believe in. Then revolution will begin and freedom will reign.

We tried getting away from a corrupt and bullyish government in 1860-61... All that proved is that the victors get to rewrite history the way they want to.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join