Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Looking for info on Fromer Soviet Union town

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Hello everone! This is my first post at these amazing looking forums. I hope Im putting this in the correct forum.

I am seaking information on a fromer Soviet Union town that went by the name of Byelgoransk.

This is a former town because in 1960 the soviets did a "Routine Nuclear test" on the town, destorying it.

Atleast, thats the story.

Im finding only the smallest evidence that this town ever existed. The book I read about it in had only about a page of information on it, if that. search engines have come up with nothing at all with the exception of google wich gives me a single result which has lead to a place that seams non-important in my quest.

The facts I have on this city: It's in eastren Siberea.

Other things rumored about this town:
-A possible political prision
-a possible biochemical warfare facility

Im looking for any and all information on this town.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for information on this city it would be greatly appricated.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I did a few searches and I found now town by that name. Also I found a site saying that town is a sci-fi book story about zombies in that town and thats why russia nuked it. So I think There never was such a thing,

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ok, you cought me. I'll come clean

The sci-fi book story about zombies that you refer to is the book I got my information out of. However, the reason why I asked about this town is to find out if the book is really science fiction.

The book is titled "The Zombie Survival Guide" and is written by Max Brooks, son of Mel Brooks.

The zombies he talks about are ones that are infected by a virus called solanium, and this virus re-animates the body, creating a new organisim out of the host body (sounds like sci fi, i know.)

The book is in the humor section of book stores, but in interviews, Max seams to imply that nothing in the book is ment to be humorus, and that he agreed to have it labeld as such because it was the only way to get it published.

At the back of the book there are many stories about zombie outbreaks. The one on the city of Byelgoransk seamed easy for me to research. My goal is to find out if anything in this book is credible.

The names of other cities in the book are real cities and places, and people in history, such as Sir Francis Drake (the pirate), and small towns that do exist such as Jarvie, British Columbia (which is now in Alberta), Canada.

If none of these stories are true, then why put real names of places and real people in the stories? And if they are not true, why would he be so misleading about weather or not these storries are real or not, and would the author not be liable for damages due to fake storries on these real people? Nowhere in the text does it say in the book that the writting is satire or fiction.

Ok, after all that my goal is still to find out if anything in the book is real.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

If none of these stories are true, then why put real names of places and real people in the stories?

The same reason we see Forest Gump shake hands with JFK...makes it seem more real to the audience...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
uh yeah. But Forest Gump was very obviously fiction.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I have the book also, and was quite surprised when i read it. It is my beleif (apologies for bas spelling) that governments are covering the truth about certain viral experimentation up, more so that there have been outbreaks of solanum in the past.

I think the book was labeled as "humourous writing" merely to get it published, its a tactic used by governments to discredit an authors work. If the public dont take it seriously then civil order will be kept, on the other hand if you've got a country of panicing people running aobut destroying staircases and blowing people's heads off (which could well be a justification for murder) then you've got a problem. Documentaries have been mislabeled "Mockumentaries" in order to discredit them and to keep "national secuirty" stable. PErsonally i think its just those with power not wanting to loose it.

As the governments carefully monitor all information in either the internet and or the libraries, it makes sence that we wouldn't be able to find anything using low level searches like google.

MYself, i am drawing plans of my local school, looking up the best route there, gathering supply list's, writing my own protocols, all in the event of viral outbreak, i am secure for a class 1,2 and maybe 3 outbreak. It sounds quite paranoid because i keep telling myself "no it cant be serious" then i read the book and some of the stories and look at the detection section and ive seen instances of covered-up outbreaks, like "mad-cow" disease and the parisian riots.

At the very least, if it is simply a 'piece of humourous writing' ill be prepared for a human outbreak, or its just a bit of fun, never know when you might need a good hiding place if things get rough. And if its real then we are all going to miss the good old days, when people were killed by other people.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterm4th
uh yeah. But Forest Gump was very obviously fiction.

I think Forest Gump is less obvious fiction then a book about Zombie attacks. Even if it isn't Forest Gump is one good movie.

ortion, if I were you I'd watch out about drawing of the plans of schools and stuff like that, they may think you are a terorist or some psychoc who wants to blow up the school or somesuch.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
wow dude dont want to burst your bubble. the book is very interesting, but it is max brooks. and if you even bothered looking on the back of the book it says its under the "HUMOR" category. its just for #s and giggles even though the book is extremely detailed. i doubt any of those events are true, there is a virus called solanum but its in plants and its a poison, not necissarly a virus. but the book is pretty fun.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   
lol, all this talk of bio plants and coverups makes me think of vozrozhdeniya (pronounced "Voz-roz-din-ay") in the Aral sea. there was a bio facility there that made many strange things that i wouldnt even want to start to talk about. but i know one of them is a mutated strand of Anthrax for sure.

[edit on 15-6-2006 by funny_pom]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
well there was that outbreak in cambodia with a new string of malaria that actually brings people back from the dead for 2 hours after their demise, and the brain damage that is caused makes them extremely violent. it was on bbc probably the first actual documented zombie account that wasn't covered up.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
wow zombies, thats disturbing.
hope it doesnt spread too far.
then again....

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
haha cancel that. i did some researching, and the site was fake, it was an exact reproduction of the bbc network website, but the url addressess didnt match up. someone took a lot of time to recreate it. they did an excellent job. they fooled a lot of people. check it....

click here

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I would assume since it was published April 1, that it was simply an Aprils fools prank. Either way, is there a movie for this book? It sounds interesting, definetly would like to see it acted out.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
amazing that fake website had me freaked.......

ive got the Z.S.G and i hafta say......i did actualy go crazy and almost buy a machete.........the documentations of events is realy gd

matt

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I'm not sure if I have the name of the town spelled right, but it's name is Chelyabinsk, and it is in the Urals of European Russia, not Siberia. And the event that happened was a nuclear accident. There was a book that was written about it that came out in the early to mid 1970's about it, but the name escapes me, too. You can google the name and come up with a list of websites that should give you more in the way of information about it than I can. I hope this information is useful to you.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Hello,
I too have read the Survival Guide and I know many events that a logged to be true. If you think it's humor then why go through all the trouble of labelling humor multiple time? I have yeat to see any other book with HUMOR or any other genre labelled many times.
I have studied virus enough to know that it is indeed possible for life to be brought back. Organs to be mutated into new organs or evolved beyond need. The brain has and always will be the logical place that controlls the body.
Goverments don't always announce the truth. Would you tell your best friend you were the one who did that awful thing to him. No, because you want to keep the peace. Sometimes you have to dig a little deeper

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
cool!!!!!! sounds very interesting deffinetly some thing checkout

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Since my original post, I have read both the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z (also by Max Brooks).

Just on a lark a few weeks back, I went into some research on some of the instances. Some things (like the disappearances of Roanoke) are based on actual historic events (although not zombie related, hehe)...but most are invented names, or real names of something else (just as the virus is)...

They are both great reads by the way...and the guide is certainly very tongue-in-cheek humor... Then again, he is his father's son...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
in world war 2 the japanese imperal army went through with "operation cherry blossom" which they created zombie to be used agianst american troops, chianese troops and civilians. They were succesivial in makeing the zombies but not in doploying them. All of the imparals zombie transports were destroyed (some were transported by submarine, airplane, and boat).At the end of the second world war russia invaded manchukuo japan they found the "Cherry Blossom" documents and the operation were put in to action by the soviet union for what they thought to so be the 3erd world war with the U.S. At Byelgoransk the operation was in action the scientist made an army of the undead which got out of control the troops at the base were over run by zombies they found rufurge in the bases prison the soviet union decieded to erase all traces of the cherry blossom operation by nuking the town no zombie, troop, or civialn survived.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join