It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

York city in UK flooded .. by Environment Agency themselves

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Headline news in the UK is that York city has been flooded as the river that runs through the city center has overflowed its banks. But this wasn't due simply to the heavy rains. This was due to someone from the Environment Agency actually disabling the flood barrier.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The Foss barrier
www.yorkpress.co.uk...

Readings from the past day.
apps.environment-agency.gov.uk...

So this barrier was constructed to help divert the flow of one river into another during times of heavy rainfall. When the system was needed the most, some numpty feared the machine rooms were being flooded and so opened the barrier so that the water level fell well below the normal let alone the danger-of-flooding levels. The consequence is that an entire city has been flooded.
edit on 27-12-2015 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Opened for a good reason. 2 choices...flood machine rooms flooded which will cost millions to repair, and jeopardise any future rain water diversions with the town still being flooded..OR have the town flooded but mechanisms still intact when less severe flooding occurs.

I think uve already guessed what choice I made.

You can't divert water into another river which has been affected by the same rain water.
edit on 27-12-2015 by rossacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
Opened for a good reason. 2 choices...flood machine rooms flooded which will cost millions to repair, and jeopardise any future rain water diversions with the town still being flooded..OR have the town flooded but mechanisms still intact when less severe flooding occurs.

I think uve already guessed what choice I made.

You can't divert water into another river which has been affected by the same rain water.

What's the point of building a flood defenses if when they are activated, they get flooded?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

My heart goes out to anybody affected by these floods, especially so at this time of year.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Headline news in the UK is that York city has been flooded as the river that runs through the city center has overflowed its banks. But this wasn't due simply to the heavy rains. This was due to someone from the Environment Agency actually disabling the flood barrier.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The Foss barrier
www.yorkpress.co.uk...

Readings from the past day.
apps.environment-agency.gov.uk...

So this barrier was constructed to help divert the flow of one river into another during times of heavy rainfall. When the system was needed the most, some numpty feared the machine rooms were being flooded and so opened the barrier so that the water level fell well below the normal let alone the danger-of-flooding levels. The consequence is that an entire city has been flooded.

You're definitely misunderstanding how the Foss barrier functions

The Foss river is a TRIBUTARY of the Ouse river, so the Foss drains INTO the Ouse. However when the Ouse is flooding, that water will back up into the Foss and cause the Foss to flood UPSTREAM of where the two rivers join.

The way they are able to stop the water flowing BACK up the Foss is by closing a barrier, and then turning on pumps that can pump more than the Foss flows. It's almost like creating a check valve.

The water levels are so high though, that the pump house started flooding and if they run the electric pumps under water they will most likely be destroyed.

They OPENED the barrier in orderto allow the natural flow to do it's best. If the pump house were allowed to flood AND the barrier remained closed, the Flooding of the Foss river would be catastrophic.

I am sure they are working on installing a pump inside the pump house itself right now in order to run the pumps again since the worst is not expected still until Monday.

edit on 27-12-2015 by 8675309jenny because: Edited for format

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
looks like things could get hairy again over the next few days...

files.abovetopsecret.com...

magicseaweed.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Wow, it's looking very grim particularly all around York.

Here's a couple of pictures from the area:

And there's a video of the aerial footage taken from all the surrounding areas at this BBC link.

Looks like it's slowly spreading out... and with more weather systems moving in, more homes and businesses are going to get hammered.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Well, flooding is not nice. The way you remedy it is well known. Spending squadzillions on engineered flood defences that deface whole areas is not the answer. The answer is in...

1. Don't build houses on flood plains.
2. Don't allow farmers to drain the flood plains and protect the flood plains from flooding.
3. Accept that once in a while the weather will surprise you.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Quite - people are quick to jump to conclusions with little understanding of what it is they're chatting about.

The decision wasn't taken lightly and certainly not by "some numpty" - that "numpty" has infinitely better understanding of flood defences than the OP, you can be sure of that.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
One other trouble with flood plains, that is where food for the local area is grown, once flooded, the area might take months to years to be productive again, so more foreign currency is spent importing more expensive food. where ever the flood is, it costs, peoples well being, damage, work, insurance, and, last but not least, hard cash, most of it tax payers money.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Looks terrible on skynews... I wouldn't be too happy if i lived there... those barriers/walls that were put up to prevent flooding, didn't work as they were too low.

I think its time to really start looking at over-population and building along and close to rivers... the water needs somewhere to flow and if it can't go down, it will go up and over as seen over the last week or 2.

You know these floods happening Globally are like the Biblical Floods... only these are happening over a period of time and not ust in one big wave!

What comes next after the Biblical Floods? I can't remember..

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

I'm not liking how that red 'weather' (whatever) opens its maw to swallow Ireland and Scotland.

Eta - what in hell is that thing coming on New Year's Day??
edit on 28-12-2015 by beansidhe because: eta

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

I'm not liking how that red 'weather' (whatever) opens its maw to swallow Ireland and Scotland.

Eta - what in hell is that thing coming on New Year's Day??

I think it's Storm Frank. Which means yet more rain for the North of England. The flooding is going to continue on into the New Year. Heartbreaking.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

It's awful, they need a break from this to let them catch up with the devastation already wreaked. It is heartbreaking, there's no other word for it.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
York floods regularly, but extreme events will overwhelm even the best flood barriers.

And to clarify, the 'entire city' has not been flooded.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Have to wonder if we should really be dishing out all the foreign aid we do to other nations while bombing the crap out of Syria and numerous other nations over the years while our own country is obviously unsecured and vulnerable to the weather.

edit on 29-12-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Storm Frank is happening right now.....some reports are saying it's going to be worse than the 1987 storm.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
Storm Frank is happening right now.....some reports are saying it's going to be worse than the 1987 storm.

The bridge at Tadchester is falling apart right now and everything must be totally saturated. It's going to get even worse before it gets any better.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
worse flooding in 50 years happening right now in Argentina...
www.bbc.com...

2015 flooding in Australia...
www.abc.net.au...

seems to be worldwide...but as all of us have heard..."nothing to see here, folks, it's just normal weather changes"

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

It's definitely not normal, but I don't think it's global warming/climate change as we are being told.

This seems to have happened globally in the past few years, and whilst I am no expert on the matter, I am starting to strongly believe it was an event like the Japanese earthquake that may have caused it.

Maybe that slight shift of the Earths axis(?) had a bigger impact than we thought, after all, nature is a fine balance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join