It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi forces push ISIS out of government compound in Ramadi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

(CNN)Iraqi forces have retaken control of a government compound long held by ISIS in Ramadi, an important gain that could signal ISIS' imminent exit from the key city.

Following days of fighting as ISIS militants fought to defend the compound, the resistance ended, and Iraqi forces found that the ISIS fighters had withdrawn, Col. Mohammed Ibrahim , a spokesman for Iraq's Joint Operations Command, told CNN.

"The government compound is under our full control," Ibrahim said. "This does not mean we have entered the compound. It means it is fully surrounded and fully under our control."

Most ISIS fighters, who had been using the government compound as a headquarters, fled or were killed in airstrikes and fighting on the ground, Ibrahim said.

Ramadi, a predominantly Sunni Arab city west of Baghdad, fell to ISIS in May, a major setback in the country's campaign to contain the terror group.

ISIS Loses Key Supply Route to U.S.-backed Rebel Alliance

REUTERS - A U.S-backed alliance of Syrian Kurds and Arab rebel groups, backed by U.S. coalition planes, captured a dam on Saturday from Islamic State, cutting a main supply route of the militants across the Euphrates, an alliance spokesman said.

Colonel Talal Selo said the seizure of the dam helps isolate the militants' strongholds in northern Aleppo from their territories east of the Euphrates river, where Raqqa city, their de facto capital, is located.

Progress against IS, good, but how long will this last for because it's been a tug o war match for some time now. Is ISIS finally being contained? Are airstrikes actually working for a change?
edit on 27-12-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Ummm, I guess it will last at least 75 and 3/4 years long.

That's what most military experts think.

I reckon.

I could be wrong.

Actually, Look at what I have written, I know I am wrong.

'May the force be with you!!'
edit on 27/12/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Col. Mohammed Ibrahim , a spokesman for Iraq's Joint Operations Command, told CNN.

I'd take anything the Iraqi military say with a large pinch of salt , their words don't always match the reality on the ground.

"The government compound is under our full control," Ibrahim said. "This does not mean we have entered the compound. It means it is fully surrounded and fully under our control."

Classic.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Ha ha, for sure! At least they aren't tucking tail and running from IS this time!

new topics

top topics

join