It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RNC disqualifying first time voters in VA?!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel
And this is typical of Trump supporters.

A graphic apparently generated immediately after Trump's tweets by someone who can't possibly know what's going on which uses a swastika to represent the Republican Party:

LINK.

Any wonder the GOP establishment is pissed off? No one else to blame but themselves, of course. Pretty funny.

Bit of a generalisation there. He is winning is he not? Are you saying all his supporters cry Nazi at the prospect of vote rigging?
It doesn't take a genius to work out that the structure of the GOP race favours Bush, so I am not surprised that Trump supporters are very vocal about potential cheating. Don't agree with calling the GOP Nazi's but getting a message out there to warn people to be alert is a good thing IMO.
edit on 27/12/2015 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

a reply to: UKTruth

I'm not a Republican but let's look at what Trump is talking about from a GOP perspective:

He wants to have people who won't declare themselves Republicans vote for him in the Virginia GOP primary.

That would no doubt include Democrats who are trying to screw the Republicans by voting for the least electable candidate. It could also include people who do not support Republican or conservative philosophy but do support things Trump says which are not in accord with the Republican party.

It goes back to the very valid suspicion that Trump isn't really a loyal Republican.

From what he is saying, correctly or not, I am more concerned with the notion of not allowing first time voters.

I keep telling you there is no way they can do that. Do you have any link to anything besides a Little Schlong Trump tweet alleging this is happening? The primaries are open in Virginia and anyone who is registered can vote. It doesn't matter when you registered.

originally posted by: UKTruth Its true that first time voters could actually be previously registered Dems

All right, for at least the third time--THERE ARE NO "REGISTERED" DEMOCRATS OR REPUBLICANS IN VIRGINIA. You do not identify a party affiliation when registering to vote in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

originally posted by: UKTruth How do you distinguish between someone who has never voted before and has legitimately been engaged to vote for the first time and someone who is playing a voting game?

Right. There is no way to distinguish between anybody. Anyone who is registered can vote and that is all the info they have--that someone is a registered voter.

originally posted by: UKTruthBroad brush exclusions will lead to a voting class that just picks the desired candidate each time.

The only "exclusion" here would be be people who won't say they are Republicans WHO WANT TO VOTE IN A REPUBLICAN PRIMARY. How is that a "broad brush" exclusion? And if they had a convention instead of a primary which they often do you would have even more restrictions on your participation. The most that will happen this time around is that you'll have to sign a pledge saying you're a Republican; a pledge they have no way whatsoever of enforcing.

Good grief - I get all that - it is TRUMP saying that first time voters will be excluded! How difficult is that to understand? This thread is in response to his tweets! Tweets on his twitter linked above and quoted above.

I am more concerned with the notion of not allowing first time voters.

And I'm telling you that aspect of the discussion is over. The "question" in the thread title has been answered. Trump is wrong (surprise, surprise.) You have no reason to be concerned.

First time voters in the Commonwealth of Virginia cannot be singled out to be excluded from the Republican primary.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I'm not a Republican but let's look at what Trump is talking about from a GOP perspective:

He wants to have people who won't declare themselves Republicans vote for him in the Virginia GOP primary.

That would no doubt include Democrats who are trying to screw the Republicans by voting for the least electable candidate. It could also include people who do not support Republican or conservative philosophy but do support things Trump says which are not in accord with the Republican party.

It goes back to the very valid suspicion that Trump isn't really a loyal Republican.

From what he is saying, correctly or not, I am more concerned with the notion of not allowing first time voters.

I keep telling you there is no way they can do that. Do you have any link to anything besides a Little Schlong Trump tweet alleging this is happening? The primaries are open in Virginia and anyone who is registered can vote. It doesn't matter when you registered.

originally posted by: UKTruth Its true that first time voters could actually be previously registered Dems

All right, for at least the third time--THERE ARE NO "REGISTERED" DEMOCRATS OR REPUBLICANS IN VIRGINIA. You do not identify a party affiliation when registering to vote in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

originally posted by: UKTruth How do you distinguish between someone who has never voted before and has legitimately been engaged to vote for the first time and someone who is playing a voting game?

Right. There is no way to distinguish between anybody. Anyone who is registered can vote and that is all the info they have--that someone is a registered voter.

originally posted by: UKTruthBroad brush exclusions will lead to a voting class that just picks the desired candidate each time.

The only "exclusion" here would be be people who won't say they are Republicans WHO WANT TO VOTE IN A REPUBLICAN PRIMARY. How is that a "broad brush" exclusion? And if they had a convention instead of a primary which they often do you would have even more restrictions on your participation. The most that will happen this time around is that you'll have to sign a pledge saying you're a Republican; a pledge they have no way whatsoever of enforcing.

Good grief - I get all that - it is TRUMP saying that first time voters will be excluded! How difficult is that to understand? This thread is in response to his tweets! Tweets on his twitter linked above and quoted above.

I am more concerned with the notion of not allowing first time voters.

And I'm telling you that aspect of the discussion is over. The "question" in the thread title has been answered. Trump is wrong (surprise, surprise.) You have no reason to be concerned.

First time voters in the Commonwealth of Virginia cannot be singled out to be excluded from the Republican primary.

How arrogant. I will advise you when I think my question has been answered, thanks. I am waiting to see if some rule changes have been applied that Trump knows about and you do not. Your presumption he has not understood the rules may be right, but it certainly is not case closed based on your presumption. A candidate for the leader of the GOP tweeting today about this may mean many things, not just your version of events.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Sounds to me like this is just Donald Trump making a big gaffaw over something that has no meat to it:

“The Republican Party of Virginia’s State Central Committee (SCC) has set a reasonable threshold to participate in the 2016 Republican Presidential Primary, signing your name to a very simple nine word statement that reads: “My signature below indicates that I am a Republican.”

The statement was primarily passed by the SCC with a simple goal: to ensure Republican voters select our Republican nominee in 2016. As this Statement of Affiliation gets discussed, many in the media are misconstruing its intent and terminology. It is not an “oath” or “pledge” in any way. It is not targeting any candidate, group of voters or an unreasonable barrier to voting. These nine words were used specifically to avoid any confusion or reference to past attempts.

Requiring the signing of a Statement is a far lower barrier to participation than in States that require Party registration for voters participation in primaries.”

Virginia GOP

So since this is not any kind of official document that can actually be enforced in any way whatsoever and isn't worth the paper it's written on, I guess the obvious question for me is:

Why even bother with such ridiculously useless crap then ?

What purpose does it serve (other than the blatantly obvious divisive partisan BS) ?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

A graphic apparently generated immediately after Trump's tweets by someone who can't possibly know what's going on which uses a swastika to represent the Republican Party:

LINK.

Any wonder the GOP establishment is pissed off? No one else to blame but themselves, of course. Pretty funny.

Bit of a generalisation there. He is winning is he not? Are you saying all his supporters cry Nazi at the prospect of vote rigging?

No. I'm saying that's typical of him and many of his supporters including his bone-headed talking heads on American television: shooting from the hip and talking smack without any clue what they are talking about.

There is no "vote rigging" going on.

Trump apparently knows that his base tend to be uneducated people who like himself don't pay attention to any detailed analysis of politics or world affairs, tend to not know how the system works and will be deterred by any perception of even the slightest impediment to actually participating in the process rather than just running their mouths.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

LINK.

No. I'm saying that's typical of him and many of his supporters including his bone-headed talking heads on American television: shooting from the hip and talking smack without any clue what they are talking about.

Trump apparently knows that his base tend to be uneducated people who like himself don't pay attention to any detailed analysis of politics or world affairs, tend to not know how the system works and will be deterred by any perception of even the slightest impediment to actually participating in the process rather than just running their mouths.

Depends what you term as vote rigging - certainly the delegate allocation is rigged in favour of certain candidates as per the rule changes of 2014.

Interesting that you assume he and many of his 'bone heads' don't know what they are talking about. Perhaps they just dont hold the same views as you and it's you who are wrong on the detailed analysis of world affairs. Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

LINK.

Interesting that you assume he and many of his 'bone heads' don't know what they are talking about.

This entire discussion including the tweets from him and his followers today is just the most recent evidence of that.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

LINK.

Interesting that you assume he and many of his 'bone heads' don't know what they are talking about.

This entire discussion including the tweets from him and his followers today is just the most recent evidence of that.

I see.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

How arrogant. I will advise you when I think my question has been answered, thanks. I am waiting to see if some rule changes have been applied that Trump knows about and you do not. Your presumption he has not understood the rules may be right, but it certainly is not case closed based on your presumption. A candidate for the leader of the GOP tweeting today about this may mean many things, not just your version of events.

No, you are giving Trump way too much credit. These changes were made months ago. Trump choosing to talk about them now either means he just found out, or he wants to dredge up an issue to talk about. Most likely it's the latter because he wants to fight the RNC trying to sideline him and now is a good time to do it since the end of the year is usually quiet politically so there's no other noise to compete with.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I have to laugh at the Virginia GOP and it's apologists - of these changes are so meaningless as they would have us believe, then why propose to implement them at all? It's a "voter loyalty oath," nothing to see here, lol.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

No, you are giving Trump way too much credit. These changes were made months ago. Trump choosing to talk about them now either means he just found out, or he wants to dredge up an issue to talk about. Most likely it's the latter because he wants to fight the RNC trying to sideline him and now is a good time to do it since the end of the year is usually quiet politically so there's no other noise to compete with.

It would seem that the changes were certified on December 16th - just over a week ago. My own speculation on this is that Trump was talking behind the scenes to the GOP about this after the news was leaked prior to certification. Now that it is certified he is speaking out.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
I have to laugh at the Virginia GOP and it's apologists - of these changes are so meaningless as they would have us believe, then why propose to implement them at all? It's a "voter loyalty oath," nothing to see here, lol.

Agree. I think Trump is right to be vigilant here. The reshaping of the delegate rules for this upcoming election are already designed to help Bush win, so Trump (and others) are probably watching the RNC very closely to spot further skewing of the vote towards the RNC's favoured candidates.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer

Agree. I think Trump is right to be vigilant here. The reshaping of the delegate rules for this upcoming election are already designed to help Bush win

And why didn't the Donald weigh in when the changes were being made? He had no idea what was going on. He's a dilettante. He was busy drinking martinis with Howard Stern.

And by the way, what's this fantasy about the GOP establishment helping Bush at this point? He's been toast for awhile and everyone knows it.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Why do you say that? Interested...
Because the required "pledge" is silly. It will not cause anyone who intended to vote in the Republican primary to "stay home."

It might backfire because it could well cause "outside" voters to vote in the primary out of outrage over being told that they cannot do so unless they agree to the "pledge."

It's 'merica, after all. We're an ornery bunch.

Virginia law allows a political party "to ask" that voters in its Presidential primary affiliate with that party.

In other words, good luck actually keeping someone out if they don't pledge.
edit on 12/27/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

He's using his reverse psychology to outrage people who probably would never go vote. When you tell someone they can't do something, what do they secretly want to go and do?

That's right...he's going to anger a bunch of lazy non-voters into registering to vote. That's the strategy.

Trump has been playing people and their emotions since day one.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

One thing for sure. No one will ever accuse Trump of not knowing his audience.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: CranialSponge

He's using his reverse psychology to outrage people who probably would never go vote.

And if it was the other way around--if someone had just told Trump that dropping the pledge would hurt his chances--these same yahoos would be talking about the commie RNC recruiting muzzie liberals to vote in the Republican primary to beat Trump. His supporters accusing Virginia Republicans of being terrorists and Nazis based on his tweets today have no clue one way or the other.

But I've got no sympathy for the Virginia GOP either. They made their bed.
edit on 27-12-2015 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Oath Required to Vote in Va. Republican Presidential Primary
(nbc29.com)

RICHMOND, Va (WVIR) - Virginia voters interested in casting a ballot in the Republican presidential primary will have to show their loyalty to the GOP.

In the commonwealth voters do not register by a political party, but in order to take part in the March 1 Republican presidential primary voters will have to sign an oath saying they are a Republican before casting a ballot.

On Wednesday, the Virginia State Board of Elections gave the requirement the go-ahead.

"It's not a specific pledge, and, in fact, the way that we designed this statement was to be as inclusive as possible," said Republican Party of Virginia Executive Director John Findlay.

They say under Virginia law the parties can include such requirement, but questions remain about how this will be carried out.

Several election volunteers say the statement will create long lines.

"As an election officer, this will be a nightmare to implement," said Olga Hernandez, of the League of Women Voters.

One state official talked about how burdensome the situation was.

"If they're given something that's between them and the ballot, they get angry," said Lawrence Haake, of the Chesterfield County General Registrar.

Another ongoing discussion will be who has access to the signatures after the primary. For now, officials say they think the forms will be sealed. However the Republican Party wants access to them.

"To be straightforward, yeah, we do want to data mine it, if at all possible," said Findlay.

The Virginia Democratic Party will not be following suit.

Early voters who do not already have the "loyalty oath" on record will not get to vote. This move also seems clearly designed to drive away the unaffiliated/independent voter. I think Trump was exactly right in calling out the RVP over this tactic, as it certainly looks designed to cut into his voter base, which lies much more outside the strictly establishment GOP voters.

Additional MSM source:

On Twitter, Donald Trump blasts Virginia GOP for loyalty pledge

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Are you accusing Trump of using the low information voter tactic like the Clintons have done since day one? I find it silly that people get worked up over Trump using winning strategies that have been used since the dawn of democracy. Its OK when Dems or GOPe use it, but not Trump! Its almost as silly as Fox News going out of their way to diminish his amazing polling numbers.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

Its OK when Dems or GOPe use it, but not Trump!

Where did you pull that out of based on what I said?

Politics is politics and knowing your audience is right at the top of the requirements for being a politician.

edit on 12/27/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join