It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal growth and ancient knowledge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I don't think that there's many people who will say that I don't know what I'm talking about, a Cambridge archaeologist once described my posts as "Generally correct", which is about the best accolade I have ever received from anyone anywhere.

I have been posting on internet forums since 2003 when I was 33 years old.
I have been studying the ancient world since 1983 when I was 13 years old

It all started for me one time when I stayed at my grandmothers house. She used to buy me cheap paperbacks to give me something to do while I stayed with her, because back in those days TV had two channels and poor reception.
One of the paperbacks was "the Twelfth planet" by Zechariah Sitchin.
I was immediately hooked and also terrified, Mr Sitchin had imo made a great case and provided enough evidence to convince a 13 year old, with zero knowledge of the ancient world, that human civilisation had been founded by Aliens from outer space. And they weren't nice Aliens, like ET, who I had seen at the cinema earlier that year, but the bad kind, the kind who used humanity to further their own ideals.

So I read all his other books and was totally convinced that there was a rogue planet out there, which was coming back very soon and which would destroy my way of life (eating sweets, bunking off school, chasing girls)

The years passed and the way that the brain usually operates is it finds details to support your beliefs, this is the basic premise of religion, you start with an idea and then allow the gullible brain to soak up supporting information, this process totally entrenches the belief and that in turn dictates to the reasoning process what information to believe and what not. It renders the believer immune to facts and evidence. Learning stops and defence of the faith begins.

Then I moved on to Von Daniken, who was saying the same sort of things, but with evidence from the rest of the world, it really did seem to me that aliens were a reality and of course Hollywood didn't help dispel that myth at all.

To me, all the answers were then easy to attain, what were pyramids but nuclear bomb shelters, that's was why there weren't many rooms inside and why the rooms that did exist were in the middle protected by all that rock. Why were there massive stone blocks used in ancient buildings, obviously again, as a defence against Nuclear weapons in the ancient past. I started to collect similarities from different cultures which showed how there was at least some lost technological race going around teaching people the same things. Take the Olmec heads for instance, the first thing you see is that they look a bit Negro, but what you should be seeing is that they are all wearing helmets. Helmets were a much more recent invention, Kings didn't care if one of their soldiers got an axe through the head, he had thousands more and they were cheaper to recruit than to buy a helmet.

So my own cognitive bias convinced me of the reality of the ancient world and the aliens who inhabited it. This lasted until I was around 30 years old. And then something happened which changed my life forever.

I got ill, I picked up a couple of sleep disorders Delayed Sleep Phase syndrome combined with Irregular sleep wake cycle disorder, which rendered me next to useless, allowing me to only sleep for a couple of hours every day. My doctors wouldn't prescribe me any sleep medication, because it is addictive and that would not help. So it left me in a state of perpetual zombie hood. Unable to think beyond the most basic of needs because of fatigue. Of course there were some good days where I'd get 3 or 4 hours sleep and even better days when a friend would come around with some pot. Slowly, I started to fight back from my illness, where I would be able to function normally half the time with a mixture of good sleep practice and marijuana. The state was paying me money because I was ill and I was able to earn more money on the side because of something I can't talk about here which is definitely NSFW

So I could afford an internet connection and found Amazon very helpful. I already had all of Sitchins books, so started looking for other writers writing about the same thing, this was 2003 and do you know, I couldn't find a single thing that wasn't just a straight copy from Sitchins work. Alan Alfords Gods of the New millennium could have been a new release from Sitchin for the lack of anything new it contained. So I decided that I would use Sitchins sources and started to look them up to see if they had written anything relevant.
The two who I could remember were
Sir Leonard Woolley
and
Samuel Noah Kramer
and I was in luck, they had both released loads of books and I ordered quite a few of them and devoured them like a hungry man devours a sandwich.

I started with Woolley as he had been the primary excavator at many Mesopotamian cities, I couldn't believe it, none of it supported a single damn thing that Sitchin had claimed. It was pretty basic archaeology, with Woolley describing the every day life of the local people while at the same time documenting his discoveries in print.
So I read Kramer, everything he had ever written and again not a damn shred of support for Sitchin.

This led me to being completely ambivalent for a while, having two opposing viewpoints in my head. Sitchin had actually stated that his source was one of these two men numerous times and yet the two men themselves totally contradicted that claim. Not a single piece of evidence from either of them supported anything that Sitchin had said. It became clear, that Sitchin was one of life's great liars, he had convinced people that Aliens had visited ancient civilisations by fabricating almost all his evidence. I was totally crushed, because this meant that all my beliefs up to that point were based on lies.

However, I was still left with a fascination for the Mesopotamian culture, and it soon became clear to me, that as a civilisation, it had been overlooked by pretty much every fringe writer of the day, because they had all just copied Sitchin. More fool them, they didn't know what they were shovelling was made up crap and when I tried to tell them they threw claims at me like
"I am a paid shill"
"I don't know what I'm talking about"
"I am an academic devotee"
"I am lying for some cause or government"
These are all the same claims that you fringers throw at me now and they are still all equally invalid

What I am, is a person who used to believe what you do, who knows all the made up facts that you do, who knows the source of those facts which you don't and who at every turn has a superior knowledge of the discussions I engage in than 99% of the other people posting in the thread, because I only post in threads where I know the facts already.

So here's the truth, if you have read fringe sources and believed them, that's one thing, but if you haven't fact checked what you believe in, then your belief isn't knowledge, its just faith. And Faith I have to tell you, is about the worst thing you can deliver your cognitive ability over to, because faith is the end of learning.

edit on 27-12-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

(post by redchad removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Great Thread, seriously, If anyone listens to you, they will grow wiser. I went through a very similar personal evolution myself.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

Wow.
First of all, congratulations on your marriage. As to your link, I am genuinely sorry to hear that. I work in a similar field and have done for well over a decade. I'm glad that you're helping people overcome their trauma.

I remember reading Sitchin and being blown away by his stories. Not knowing anything about the cultures he described, it was easy to believe him and more importantly, I wanted to.
Rethinking your beliefs is never easy but acknowledging you're wrong is the only way to make room for more learning. And the world is fascinating enough without the need for invented history; our own stories are precious. Understanding them helps us to understand who we are now and where we might be going.

S&F

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I both commend and applaud your intellectual honesty, Sir.

This is great. Your OP demonstrates real learning.

Yes, those charlatans are deceivers. I do not know why they do it. They capture so many people who are innocently trying to learn and discover knowledge. I really am very cutting about Icke, Sitchin, Von Daniken and all these others. They are intellectually dishonest. I think some of them are totally delusional (it is possible to be academic and delusional) and others are deliberately deceptive because they have an agenda to make money or gain fame and exposure. Intellectually, they disgust me.

You know only too well how interesting ancient archaeology is any way. It does not need all that mumbo jumbo made up stuff to make it fascinating. The real story of human development is fascinating enough.

My life, too, has been very similar to yours. I am bipolar and have been signed off work for many years. I am too unreliable and I would spook colleagues out and make them feel uncomfortable. Sometimes I can be very extrovert, too extrovert, beaming with energy and totally over the top. Then I can switch just like that for no reason and turn into a lethargic zombie of introspection and will not communicate. It is a strange place from which to have to live one's life, but I work hard at making a good life for myself. I make sure my sleeping pattern is regular. I don't use prescription medication as I become a nuisance and confused when I have taken it. I just use the herb. I eat healthily. I exercise regularly. It is a lonely old world for me though. My brain is on a different level to most; they know it and I know it.

You are much better sticking with the true archaeologists who are intellectually honest and base their ideas on evidence and analysis, not those mumbo jumbo clowns who have got so many people imprisoned in their distorted, warped and delusional LIES!

edit on 27-12-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Why would we need to discover anything for ourselves when we have YOU?

You're older than most of us, smarter than most of us, and far more experienced in matters of truth seeking and how they apply to personal development.

Why, I'm just going to put my faith in YOU.

All hail Marduk! The omnipotent and wise!

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk
What I am, is a person who used to believe what you do, who knows all the made up facts that you do, who knows the source of those facts which you don't and who at every turn has a superior knowledge of the discussions I engage in than 99% of the other people posting in the thread, because I only post in threads where I know the facts already.

Proverbs 11:2-4
2 Proud and boastful people will be shamed, but wisdom stays with those who are modest and humble.

And with 33 (triple sin + unclean trinity) and 13 (rebellion) being mentioned, its no coincidence that an illuminated one from Cambridge glorified your ego.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rapha

And with 33 (triple sin + unclean trinity) and 13 (rebellion) being mentioned, its no coincidence that an illuminated one from Cambridge glorified your ego.

Wow I am quite surprised that the people of faith have so much to say in this thread, I'm looking forwards to contacting you on Feb 9th Rapha and blowing a raspberry at your earlier claim about that day before when you claimed "the fun will really begin".
Have you arranged a bouncy castle yet ?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I've read all the same crap as you, religious, scientific, both fact and fiction.

Thats a lot of goo to infect your mind.

Experience helps shatter the facade of myth and legend. Like throwing a stone at a mirror.

I have seen spiritthings and a flyingthingy. Sorry, there is a spirit world and advance otherworldly tech. Does that mean I know squat about both realms? Hardly.

Only speculation.

But I know they are there.

The difference between believing and knowing is witnessing.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Really, I thought the difference between believing and knowing was empirical evidence...

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk

originally posted by: intrptr

Really, I thought the difference between believing and knowing was empirical evidence...

You mean experience (Edit: My experiences are my best evidence). You don't experiment with spirits or oofos, they experiment on us. There are no laboratory conditions for the next dimension of being.
edit on 27-12-2015 by intrptr because: ()

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I am just wondering why this is in introductions? You posted in this forum in July with the title 'return of Marduk". You have been registered since 2005.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

History is stranger than in your wildest dreams. And its impossible to convey it to brainwashed sheeples because it goes against so many beliefs they hold true.. There is a not so well known brick of a book that is uncensored research centered on the hidden history of the human race. And what it reveals will make you sweat if you can really grasp the ramifications of such knowledge..

But can you handle it? You seem like the kind that looks for truths that fit their expectations. But you cant call that truths eh?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
It sounds to me like you traded one faith for another. Now you look for authors and evidence to support your present view, instead of the one you previously held. Which is okay, because your present view is the all important scientific consensus. Right?

Reading books is not empirical evidence. It is the learning of different views on the same subject. Nothing wrong with that, as long as we don't make the mistake of taking the authors word as "gospel".

As a devoutly religious man, I always read what supported my world view, and the bible I relied on. Now, as an atheist/anti-theist, I find myself looking for material that challenges my present world view. The last thing I want, is to again be stuck in another faith. I want to know why I hold to my present views, and whether or not they can stand scrutiny. As a Christian, I didn't care whether my faith could stand up to scrutiny. I had the truth, and that was that. I don't ever want to be there again.

One of the foundations of science is that what we thought we knew, changes the moment we have definitive evidence/observation to the contrary. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case with the average person, or the scientific community. But it is something to strive for.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: _damon

History is stranger than in your wildest dreams. And its impossible to convey it to brainwashed sheeples because it goes against so many beliefs they hold true.. There is a not so well known brick of a book that is uncensored research centered on the hidden history of the human race. And what it reveals will make you sweat if you can really grasp the ramifications of such knowledge..

But can you handle it? You seem like the kind that looks for truths that fit their expectations. But you cant call that truths eh?

Got a name for that book?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Have you actually been inside any of the pyramids ? i don't think you have , because if you had you will realise that as a nuclear shelter that could only fit around 20 people at a time would been inadequate .

you have raised some good points in your post but the above is the only part i think is way off mark .

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I am just wondering why this is in introductions? You posted in this forum in July with the title 'return of Marduk". You have been registered since 2005.

The mods are playing pass the parcel, it started off in Ancient history

originally posted by: Klassified

Got a name for that book?

I'm expecting it will turn out to be Michael Cremos "forbidden archaeology" , which is full of outdated newspaper claims and archaeology performed before the scientific method was practiced.

originally posted by: tom.farnhill

you have raised some good points in your post but the above is the only part i think is way off mark .

then you should probably read parts of my OP again, paying attention to where I was explaining some of my unfounded beliefs when I was credulous

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Truth and knowledge are dynamic destinations for which perpetual uncertainty is the only path.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
So it's the Marduk fan club! Says it all really I was very careful not to be OTT with my first post seems you have some influential friends. To have criticism or challenge removed is what you do im OK with it because at least I know you read it.
edit on 27-12-2015 by redchad because: Addition

edit on 27-12-2015 by redchad because: Spacing

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join