It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Floridians completely nuts when it comes to temperature?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Your description of all the expressions made throughout the day, sadly, made me laugh. I started working a few months ago at a small office. There are four women who regularly, every single day, all day, talk about how cold they are. They do the fake shiver as they walk to check the thermostat. Meanwhile, I have not been cold at work on even one occasion. I'm a Texas woman born and raised, but frequently find myself having to explain my short sleeves. "I guess I'm hot-natured I'll say; perhaps I was meant for cooler climates." But the reality is I'm NOT going to wear a sweater on Christmas Day in Austin, Texas, because it is 80 freaking degrees outside!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

People who spend years in very warm places do become acclimated to the heat. The temperature inside is more likely the cause of them claiming to be cold than is the outside temp. If the AC is set very low, some could be chilled. I have a relative that gets chilled when it's cool, because she spent a couple of years in a hot climate with no AC. Now, below 80, she claims she's cold. Weird, I know, but it happens.

The sweater, blanket, and heater seem a bit excessive, unless someone has air conditioning set very low, though!

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I used to have cold tile floors in my Coral Gables (Miami, Fla) apartment. I'd sit in shorts with the air conditioning going full blast... with a space heater as well cranked up on my freezing feet....

Just an observation to relay!!!!
edit on 28-12-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
May have missed it but has anyone offered up the indisputable fact that Florida is the unofficial home of crazy?

twitter.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

My little brother went to Tasmania the other day to watch the cricket and came back looking like a full on black fella he was so tanned... yet it only got to 23 degrees Celsius, or 74 degrees Fahrenheit. You wouldn't even expect to caught a tan in that weather further North.

The worse sunburn I ever got in my life, I got after falling asleep on a beach in the Bahamas. It was extremely cool that day. It was sprinkling off and on all day, and the sun could not be seen, because of the heavy cloud filled skies. I slept like a baby and woke up looking like a lobster.

The cold water of the shower felt like it was scalding, and the only thing I could wear for over a week, was a silk blouse, and even it hurt. I had to sleep sitting up because the sheets felt like burlap, and for the first 3 days I had to self medicate with wine. Trying to talk was painful, and laughing was agony.

My thought is when it is blazing hot you know to limit your exposure because it is uncomfortable. When it is cool and overcast, you can't feel the damage that is occurring to you skin, until it is too late.

Anyway the moral to my story is that you don't need it to be sunny or hot to get sunburned.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
We are worse in Southern California. If it hits 85 degrees we are "too hot" and below 70 is "freezing." I was watching tv last week and there was a special report that interrupted the program, just to tell us it was raining. Lol.

<< 1  2   >>

join