It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the first producrion J-20 fighter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The Chinese are starting to say the J-20 will go IOC in 2018. I have my doubts, but they had a new J-20 emerge. The tail number is 2101. It could mean this is the final-ish form kinda like the early concurrent F-35s. I'd lean towards this is another new prototype rather than the production aircraft though.

We'll see.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
looks like a short yellow bus.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
No way is that a fighter. Either anti-shipping, or a long range interceptor to swat strategic bombers out of the sky. Will look cracking in that electric blue camo they use though.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: jensy

Why isn't it a fighter?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

First off. This is all conjecture and I have no solid proof behind it, merely reasoning based upon historical examples....

But I find it highly unlikely that with China's military doctrine up to this point, that they would use such a silver bullet approach for air dominance.

In an offensive campaign they would have the numbers to suffer huge attrition but maintain a presence even once their opponent has fired everything they have.

In a defensive situation stealth is hardly a priority for A2A, especially with the strength of their ground launched AA equipment and would be of greater use attacking what is likely to be either a naval assault on their homeland or outlying islands; or else bringing down enemy bombers at range.

The J-31 (despite the F-35 comparisons) I could see eventually being the mass produced multi-role Sino Stealth. I think the PLAAF would not want to suffer the same kind of reduction in quantity for quality that many Western Air Forces have seen.

Jensy

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: jensy

Even in a defensive scenario a stealth would be a huge asset. They could use it to go after strike packages, causing them to go defensive and not hit their targets, go after AWACS and other high value targets that a non stealth aircraft wouldn't even get close to before getting intercepted, and several other scenarios.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I appreciate that Zaphod, and I'm not saying it doesn't have strong potential for those sort of roles. However I just see an aircraft of that size, having other uses which the Chinese could prioritise.

On a related subject, do you buy into the suggestions that the J-20 is only 'marginally stealth' and that the faceted shape is more for public perception?

Jensy

top topics

join