It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DirectX 9.0 Help Please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I have windows Xp and i attempting to download DirectX 9.0 for my new game. IT starts, but then it say something along the line of a file in the cabinet of the something is not trusted and the download will not work. I have tried downloading from the game tech support, microsoft's site, and immediately when the game says your current version of directX is too old. Then when I go to microsoft download help screen it says this page will not display properly because activeX settings aren't right. I can't find how to change any of this. Please help. I called easports for help that said I have to call microsoft, and that has not worked thus far either. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Try going to this:

Start>Settings>Control panel,

Then open the internet options icon.

A dialog should appear, click on the Security Tab.

Under trusted sites, double click that (green circle with check mark)

Click the sites button and copy and paste the website you wish to allow
downloads from, i.e. - www.microsoft.com or whomever you are downloading from.

(note that I am using Win98, so the layout of your buttons and icons may be
a little different, but not by much.)

[edit on 6-1-2005 by ben91069]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I went into the control panel- internet options and enabled activeX and some other things.
Upon attempting to install the game and directx the pop up message says "The software you are attemting to install has not passed windows logo testing to verify compatibility w/windowXP" so then I went back to the control panel tried to make sure every relevant thing was enabled(should things be checked enable or prompt?) and tried to add microsoft.directx to the trusted sites but it said it had be https or some crap.

So I tried do download directX 9.0 from the microsoft site again and then I get the message" a cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted"

Well I am about to loose it and dont what to do.

ben91069, thanks, for help so far and any more ideas are very welcome.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Hey pancho!

Dont dispare amigo, the computer gods are just trying to teach you about your system. (and probably your parents trying to keep you from installing things that could damage your pc). :shk:

You see pancho, there is a setting in Windows called driver signing. It has 3 settings. It is there to help keep people from installing software that could be corrupt or infected by checking for a signature in the software that verifies there will be no corruption or infection. I think yours is set to "BLOCK" all unsigned drivers.

Try this.

Start -> Control Panel -> System ->Click the tab at the top maked hardware -> Click the driver signing button -> Select "warn" or "ignore" -> select OK -> select OK again. Go download and install your directX, preferably from Micro$oft.

See Images below:

Ta-da.

[edit on 6-1-2005 by makeitso]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Makeitso has better information for you because he shares the same operating system. Also, he has pictures to prove it! Ha Ha! Anyways, I doubt you will
find any harmful downloads from the microsoft site. Whether or not they are all that wondeful is another matter, but it should work. I don't know why anything with DirectX 9.0 would be in conflict with an Windows XP system. The download site it wants (including the HTTP) means you need to enter the whole thing, like this www.microsoft.com... from this download page:

Directx Download from Microsoft

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Well, that did not work. It said the same thing and now the code for the video game did not work. I thought for sure I was about play my new game. I'm gonna try it again.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I felt bad enough about it that I went looking for more info. And guess what? I found it! Fortunatly, other people have been having the same issue with XP sp2. (strange thing to say, but at least they posted the problem and solution).

Unfortunatly, there are several steps involve in the repair.

It is getting late, so I leave you with the little information below. You should probably take the time to read the articles, to get an understanding before trying the steps below.

I sure hope this fixes it for you.

First,
Have you tried just hauling in the DirectX 9.0c update? It IS available as a separate download here: Direct x seperate download from Microsoft

This was the first article I found. There are some instructions here, and the 2 links to micorsoft below.

Look thru your IE settings via the TOOLS menu, Internet Options submenu, Security Tab, Custom Level button near bottom (in last/bottom group box) & turn on (@ least temporarily) your ability to run ActiveX/OLEServer controls so you CAN get the download!

Detecting Digital Signing Issues in Windows XP sp2

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, re-register the Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll files. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type regsvr32 softpub.dll, and then press ENTER.
4. Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in Softpub.dll succeeded.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll.
6. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.

Micro$oft XP sp2. You cannot install some updates or programs info and repair instructions

To resolve this behavior, use the following methods. After you perform the steps in each method, test to see if the problem is resolved before you go to the next method. If the problem is resolved with any method, you do not have to use the remaining methods.
Method 1: Rename the Edb.log file
To resolve this behavior, rename the Edb.log file, and then try to install the program again. To rename the Edb.log file, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\Edb.log *.tst
There are several other methods for the above quote to try if this does not work.

:bnghd: $%^#$@ microsoft

[edit on 6-1-2005 by makeitso]

new topics

top topics

join