It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historical Storm unfolding in Texas and Oklahoma

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I was wandering (being new to the US) are they unusual for this time of year though?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
stay safe lovely people .. what a biatch right between Christmas and New Years but I hope you all will still manage to have wonderful holidays .. the damage is hopefully at bare minimum ..

we are dealing with uncontrollable fires
worse 80% are man made people are just mentally insane

techx: lovely to see you doing what you love
you are so good at it

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: Byrd

I was wandering (being new to the US) are they unusual for this time of year though?

Severe storms across the southern US aren't actually all that unusual through the winter. What makes this one a bit more unusual is that we have an El Nino weather pattern in play. It lets the warmer, moister weather creep a bit further north than it would otherwise be at this time of year. El Nino patterns are also creating greater atmospheric instability with the jet streams being out of place from where they normally are.

This is more of an early springtime pattern, but the El Nino is creating it in an unseasonable manner. Expect more of this over the course of the next 6 months or so as the El Nino dissipates.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
What's more scary than a tornado at day time?

A tornado at night time

Eerily beautiful. Tornado Hits Rowlett, Texas

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The last couple of days really prove how f*cked up our weather is

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I know it's not uncommon to have crazy weather like this but yesterday we were walking around in short-sleeve shirts and sandals. Today I've got a bulky sweater on, as it's 41, rainy and windy.

But I still can't pack away my summer clothes. Who knows how warm it will be in two weeks?!

**They classified the tornado as an EF4. I thought it would be higher. There were homes that were wiped off its foundations.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
What's more scary than a tornado at day time?

A tornado at night time

Eerily beautiful. Tornado Hits Rowlett, Texas

I am just thankful this didn't happen in the middle of the night when everyone was asleep. For me that's the absolute worst time to have a tornado strike!

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Perhaps the result of climate change

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rexamus
The last couple of days really prove how f*cked up our weather is

nah, it's just normal climate fluctuation, as they would have you to believe.

But as the oceans continue to warm...expect some epic storms...almost biblical.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Since daytime, the destruction pictures have begun rolling in. Here's a shot from one of the Rowlett neighborhoods hit badly.

Taken from DFW scanner facebook page. www.facebook.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Ignatian

Looking at regional radar, it appears the center of rotation has entered the USA. It also appears to my somewhat educated eye, that today's setup looks more conducive for tornado formation than yesterday. There's half a dozen cells in east Texas right now, lined up and every one looks like a hook echo could appear at any moment.

Look out Texas. Today looks nastier than yesterday.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ignatian
a reply to: Ignatian

Looking at regional radar, it appears the center of rotation has entered the USA. It also appears to my somewhat educated eye, that today's setup looks more conducive for tornado formation than yesterday. There's half a dozen cells in east Texas right now, lined up and every one looks like a hook echo could appear at any moment.

Look out Texas. Today looks nastier than yesterday.

Looks gnarly in East Texas....
www.accuweather.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: buni11687
Since daytime, the destruction pictures have begun rolling in. Here's a shot from one of the Rowlett neighborhoods hit badly.

Buni- Thank you for posting this. Looking at this facebook page shows how many people out there willing to help their fellow friends and neighbors.

Hearing about all the apartment complexes that were damaged is pretty frightening. I live on the third floor and last night was showed me how dangerous it is to live on the upper floors. Even a big structure like that can be severely damaged.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: buni11687

See the water tower in the photo? Officials are very concerned about it and have started draining it. The remaining homes near it are being evacuated.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Please stop with all the climate change talk.

The day when you cant compare it to something that happened 60 to 80 years ago.....then start freaking out.

History is the biggest challenge for those who believe.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
a reply to: texasgirl

I have to wonder, why in the world did they not realize the weather was so bad. It was forecasted days in advance...

It was on the news and on the radio..... sadly, for reasons unknown loved ones are no more.....

There are a few things happening here, one Americans attitudes towards danger, ain't no weather going to stop me rub some dirt on it, God made dirt and dirt don't hurt - type of attitudes. Then also as we've seen in this thread,there is a distrust for meteorologists, and people who claim they are hyperbolic when in reality they are always looking out for the best interests of our society, and making future predictions based on model out-put, they cannot always be right and it's only one time they are wrong and someone dies, but now, people do not listen because they do not understand meteorology, and then the third, people who were just ignorant to it and never pay attention to weather. Regardless of these sociological reasons for being out in this powerful storm lives were lost and meteorology will continue in its pursuit to save lives and further humanity's sciences and progress. I'll update shortly hope you all are doing well.
edit on 27-12-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This is a difficult storm to predict.

Out local meteorologist refuses to try to predict much more for us beyond: cold, wind, and precipitation. He says the storm is too wound with too many atmospheric layers potentially involved to get any better read on it than that. There are too many layers with too many different temperatures to know if it will rain, sleet/freezing rain, or snow. So trying to forecast any of the three with any accuracy is a fool's errand especially as none of the models are currently forecasting in any way similar beyond saying cold, wind and precip. It may have changed by this evening's run.

But there are very few definites.

Maybe that's why I see a decent number of meteorologists who are skeptics of the man made theory. They know how hard it is to get an accurate forecast, but then they are told the computer models have it all right?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

This is correct as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the math goes haywire with such a powerful system it would be an exaggeration but only a slight one to compare this to a land hurricane, so meteorologists have to use past experience along with model data to try there best to accurately forecast this storm, also they must give worst case scenario so that they can save lives even if the worst case scenario does not pan out, is the earth warming? Yes, yes it is. Do we know to what extent we have an effect on this warming? No, no we don't. We also know the earth goes through climate cycles, and we cannot say that this climate cycle is anything that is outside of the spectrum of other cycles. However do we need to get off fossil fuels? Yes we do, and if there is even a slight chance that we are effecting our weather then we should take steps to minimize our impact as that is the prudent choice. That's pretty much the way that the mets I know think about this, and people in the storm chasing community I have been involved with.
edit on 27-12-2015 by TechniXcality because: spelling

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

nm state police close I40 albuquerque to the texas border . Miles and miles of trucks . Taken with my camera phone today. 200 miles of snow drifts and bilzzard condition all the way to texas. Some peole are being rescued at this time some where within this 200 miles.

***Just got an Alert on The Local Television. There are 250 accendents.!***

***If You Are Straded on this Hiway I40 Stay where you are in the car . The NM National Guard and State Police are on the way to help everyone. ***

DO NOT STRAY FROM THE ROAD ! They will find your car amd you.
edit on 27-12-2015 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Yes and no. Using the idea of climate change as a bludgeon to try to force an abrupt end the way they are is also a fool's errand. It's like the underpants gnome from South Park.

I don't disagree that getting off of or finding a way to clean up our usage of fuels would be best and I also think we are working our way toward that, but we aren't there yet.

However, the best so-called climate proposals treat it like thus:

1.) End fossil fuels
2.) ?
3.) Endless energy that's green for all

There is no real plan for the next step, and we could just as easily wind up in the dark ages as we could stumbling on that innovation. I still think the best bet for innovation of that type is to move out into the stars. We will have to figure it out to create long lasting colonies on other worlds where fossil fuels simply don't exist.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join