It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Louisville hiring for Assistant Professor - Whites and Asians need not apply

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: theySeeme

There is nothing sinister going on here. This falls under the minority provisions/guidelines put in place to give others a fair chance (much in the same way women owned business get cuts and tax breaks + other amnieties).

But hey, if it makes you mad

Racism is racism.

If a applicant can only get the job because of their race and would not be able to be able to compete against whites and Asians on their own merit the they shouldn’t get the bloody job!

There is no such thing as "positive" discrimination! Just discrimination!

Many in their race and gender cannot get the job even though they have their merit because of discrimination of their race..

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

Ug. This is my alma mater.

::facepalm::

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

people are dumb.

Hispanic is an ethnicity.

I hope they hire some blonde haired blue eyed Argentinian just out of spite.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

There is nothing sinister going on here. This falls under the minority provisions/guidelines put in place to give others a fair chance (much in the same way women owned business get cuts and tax breaks + other amnieties).

Racism is racism.

If a applicant can only get the job because of their race and would not be able to be able to compete against whites and Asians on their own merit the they shouldn’t get the bloody job!

Many in their race and gender cannot get the job even though they have their merit because of discrimination of their race..

And then they can sue since they are in a protected legal class under the law.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: thejeremybenthem
This is what happens when you bring hundreds of thousands of slaves. Karma is a bitch. No amount of affirmative action will make up for this:

Slavery ended more thand 150 years ago.

Get over it.

If you spent less time bitching and acting the victim you might get somewhere in life!

Plus if you ancestors were not brought to the USA (even if under bad circumstances ) you would be living in some cesspit African country, likely starving and in real poverty.

So get over it. Yoy cant change the past but you can change the future!
edit on 26-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-12-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: thejeremybenthem

Affirmative Action wasn't about any kind of retribution or revenge. It was about bringing about equal treatment and ending discrimination. When Affirmative Action becomes discriminatory in its own right, then it has outlived its usefulness.

Affirmative action was always discriminatory.

Two wrongs dont make a right.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Racism is racism.

Fighting discrimination by useing discrimination is NOT the answer though!

All you do is reverse the problem and continue the racial tensions or worse create another underclass!

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Statistically, minorities are very underrepresented in most universities around the nation. Having been an employee at two different universities, there is quite a gap between the amount of white, male professors and the amount of women or minorities. From what I have witnessed, professors who get hired, minority or not, are not hired only because of skin color, but on merit as well. So to say that affirmative action has no place in the society of today is wrong. When women and minorities are employed at the same rate, and pay, as white males, only then will affirmative action no longer be relevant.
edit on 12/26/2015 by Menrva because: .

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Menrva
Statistically, minorities are very underrepresented in most universities around the nation. Having been an employee at two different universities, there is quite a gap between the amount of white, male professors and the amount of women or minorities. From what I have witnessed, professors who get hired, minority or not, are not hired only because of skin color, but on merit as well. So to say that affirmative action has no place in the society of today is wrong. When women and minorities are employed at the same rate, and pay, as white males, only then will affirmative action no longer be relevant.

Enjoy your 1,000 person classes while you wait for black and women applicants to science, tech, and engineering at the college level.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Menrva

A simple mathematical curiosity. Are women and minorities seeking the same positions at the same rate as white males are, and if the answer is anything but yes, why should there be an expectation of being hired at the same rate?

Is my only issue I've had with a lot of these numbers. They expect and demand a conformity which may be wholly unrealistic when considering those they represent. There are many reasons for disparities that are not prejudiced in nature.

Correlation does not equal causation. Be very careful when making assumptions that makes such a determination.
edit on 12/26/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
What will happen when the social engineers succeed in this master plan of workplace diversification?

Will people suddenly find themselves unable to think a racist thought?

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It's humurous to hear people try to defend this. Sadly these people can vote

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

a reply to: thejeremybenthem

Affirmative Action wasn't about any kind of retribution or revenge. It was about bringing about equal treatment and ending discrimination. When Affirmative Action becomes discriminatory in its own right, then it has outlived its usefulness.

Affirmative action was always discriminatory.

Two wrongs dont make a right.

Honestly, that's my belief on the matter. I have never believed Affirmative Action was the right thing to do, but when
people cite why it was instituted, that is the justification for it.

I suppose in those days your choices were to legislate endless court actions or to pass a law imposing quotas. The legislature took the easy way out.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Sometimes, some groups either do not have the skills or the interest in certain things.

Have you ever wondered why there are so few black professional swimmers but so many black professional athletes in football and basketball for example? Clearly, it doesn't have anything to with athletic ability. It is a cultural preference for one; blacks tend to not swim as much.

When looking at jobs requiring high linguistic/language facility, women tend to dominate. Does that mean men are being discriminated against? No, it just means men don't tend to develop the facility with language women do.

When looking back at our mining days, the foremen at mines tended to be heavily Welsh and similar - men whose families came from places that had coal mining pasts in Europe. They had cultural experience and actual experience. It didn't mean anyone was discriminating against nationalities that didn't have mining cultural backgrounds; those immigrants just tended to not seek out mining jobs or have the experience with them when they did.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
We have a half Caucasian, Half African-American president whose middle name is Hussein. It is time for him to repeal AA. If he can get the highest job in the country than i would say this little social experiment is done.

Affirmative Action is another progressive step just like busing.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

How about they hire based on someone best suited for the job!

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Enjoy your 1,000 person classes while you wait for black and women applicants to science, tech, and engineering at the college level.

That is not only a racist view, but a sexist one as well. At the University I currently attend, there are more many black and Hispanic males who hold professor positions, as well as some females, than white males. The only issue here is that many of them come from other countries that highly value education, unlike many Americans. To say that women and minorities are absent in the STEM arena it's ridiculous. However, there is still a very large gap between white males and women/minorities in the work place.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Sometimes, some groups either do not have the skills or the interest in certain things.

Have you ever wondered why there are so few black professional swimmers but so many black professional athletes in football and basketball for example? Clearly, it doesn't have anything to with athletic ability. It is a cultural preference for one; blacks tend to not swim as much.

When looking at jobs requiring high linguistic/language facility, women tend to dominate. Does that mean men are being discriminated against? No, it just means men don't tend to develop the facility with language women do.

When looking back at our mining days, the foremen at mines tended to be heavily Welsh and similar - men whose families came from places that had coal mining pasts in Europe. They had cultural experience and actual experience. It didn't mean anyone was discriminating against nationalities that didn't have mining cultural backgrounds; those immigrants just tended to not seek out mining jobs or have the experience with them when they did.

Actually I have never wondered why there are more blacks in this sport as opposed to that one, as they base on talent and merit. To say that preference should be given to a group that is lacking in a certain type of work and who have the education /experience is something that we all should be supportive of, in order to start making the playing field available to a broader group of people . I have personally witnessed blatant racist disrespect to minority groups having worked in an ethnic program. So it is still alive and kicking in the world. e

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

A simple mathematical curiosity. Are women and minorities seeking the same positions at the same rate as white males are, and if the answer is anything but yes, why should there be an expectation of being hired at the same rate?

Is my only issue I've had with a lot of these numbers. They expect and demand a conformity which may be wholly unrealistic when considering those they represent. There are many reasons for disparities that are not prejudiced in nature.

Correlation does not equal causation. Be very careful when making assumptions that makes such a determination.

I agree that correlation doesn't equal causation. However, say I am a minority female, I expect to be given the same pay, benefits, and employment chance, of a position I actually qualify for either through education or experience. Thus, laws were enacted to help to level the field for everyone. Now, of course every act is not based on racism, but it does happen quite often. I'm not saying a person should get the position because they meet the affirmative action "definition", but those who qualify should be offered the same "package" in the workplace.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpenMindedRealist
What will happen when the social engineers succeed in this master plan of workplace diversification?

Will people suddenly find themselves unable to think a racist thought?

Offering minorities and females the same opportunities and positions that have historically been given to white males does not equal the eradication of racism. However, it does help those that are just as qualified chance to also get ahead in society and follow their version of the "American Dream". While I think racism is ridiculous, I am well aware that it will never entirely disappear and Utopia will begin on earth. It's just nice for women and minorities to be able to be financially independent, which has not been the norm in our country.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join