It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An outsiders questions on US gun control.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

the possible need to fight back against an unjust government.

I heard this so many times.. if the government wants to ef you up they will just close the central bank or power plant or water supply.. I don't understand when people say that..

plus is somehow sad.. that you are so afraid you need to carry a gun.. I am thankful I don't have to live with that amount of fear everyday.. I bet my luck that the day someone would put a gun in my face it would be the day I forgot to put it in my purse and there would be no one else around.. I mean this sincerely my whole reply may seem sarcastic but it's genuine

edit on 27-12-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Here ya go.
Read that book.
www.amazon.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

just adding this link.. It's a page long summary of
The Devil's Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's Secret Government.. The link above has only the cover.. regardless if it's true looks like a good conspiracy book

www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Layaly

And this is why this thread is going nowhere.

It is the difference in a culture that believes that every citizen is a part of the defense of the nation and takes responsibility to some degree for their own personal safety and a culture where you are perfectly fine with outsourcing that responsibility to your government masters.

If you are happy with that, then I am glad for you, but don't presume that because we feel it to be part of our responsibility as citizens to take defense into our owns hands that we do so out of fear. It is a common thing, and a great misconception. I don't feel fear, but don't like handing over all responsibility for something as important as the safety of my person to another entity, either. It puts me at their mercy, and I don't like that.

If you can begin to understand that last bit I wrote, then you can understand why I don't have fear.

edit on 27-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Well, this has been a strange sort of thread to read.

First of all I thought 'here we go again, another gun control thread - bound to go the usual way, "I've got a bigger dick than you", blah blah blah', but no...it seemed to be reasonably ok with genuine attempts to understand and inform on both sides.

Got to say that the OP was pretty much outnumbered and was always facing an uphill struggle.
I got the impression he was genuine in his efforts to understand.

But the thing is its hard - its one of the glaring differences in our respective societies.

And then the inevitable.
It started with the little digs and insinuations of superiority and the one-sided viewpoint of historical events and their causations.
Then came the now all too common open insults resulting in yet another ruined thread.

Still, it was good while it lasted.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Please believe me I would never claim to know better that is why like op said its a can of worms and like you said this conversation is going nowhere

for me I want to know where you stand re this topic .. no one can take your rights away

as outside view my personal opinion is that it is so much easier to pull out a gun ..anyone who does it (obviously not the defender but the attacker) is a coward or a criminal.. ideally restricted access to guns would prevent people like that owing one.. but we don't live in a fairy land I am fully aware of it.. And nothing you can do with a psychopath who wants to kill he will do it even without a gun..

and I don't see anything wrong with your answer .. I like you .. and if Mrs. Ketsuko wants a gun I would be the first person to say give her one because I know you are who you are .. unfortunately I can't say that about everyone

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Layaly

It IS a more elaborate description of "TPTB" types.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
plus there are successful stories with gun control I will point out AU that's where I am and there is so many other countries that had success so we are sharing the how to

Australia Australia had 30 gun homicides in 2010, which amounted to 0.13 gun deaths for each 100,000 people. Australians hold 3-3.5 million guns, a rate of 15 guns for every 100 people. Australia is a rare nation that has had a significant shift toward additional gun control in recent years. Following a 1996 shooting spree that left 35 Australians dead at the Port Arthur tourist location in Tasmania, the government launched a major overhaul of gun laws. In the decade before Port Arthur, Australia saw 11 mass shootings; since then, there has not been a single mass shooting and the gun murder rate has continued its steady decline. Here’s what they did: Pro-gun Conservative John Howard pushed through an ambitious gun control program. The laws banned all automatic and semi-automatic weapons and instituted strict licensing rules involving background checks and waiting periods for purchases. The conservative government also instituted a buyback program, where people were paid for turning in newly illegal automatic and semi-automatic rifles; 650,000 weapons were voluntarily handed in and destroyed at a cost of roughly $359.6 million. Today, Australians must demonstrate a justifiable need to have a gun, such as being a farmer or sport shooter. Australia doesn’t have a full semi-automatic handgun ban and doesn’t have any laws designed to keep guns away from the mentally ill.

and it's clear that op has the best intention at heart and I bet my life on it without a doubt

similar with me if I had children especially a girl it would worry me she would have to have a gun to take matters into her own hands it would worry me there are people around her running around with guns.. the cost of gun violance is also ridiculous amount and a burden on a citizen

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Well...You cant protect yourself if you leave your guns at home

Guns are a personal choice...like Sexual orientation, Nobody wants anyone dictating to them whom they sleep with

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
The simple answer to the question of "Is Gun control viable for the United States" is thus: It has passed the point of no return. The event horizon. Gun control could technically be transitioned into, but there would likely be a relatively bloody period of readjustment - not even considering the people who'd shoot anyone who tried to take their gun away.

To explain it in more detail, everyone who wants a gun already has one, and they would be a relatively simple thing to hide. It would be like trying to redo the ban on alcohol, except everyone has a hidden flask that never runs out.
It would be ultimately pointless.

Oh, but I'll go ahead and say that anyone who open carries in public, anywhere, unless they are travelling to a hunting spot, is a complete f*cking lunatic and should immediately have all of their firearms confiscated. I don't care about your god damned second amendment if you're carrying loaded rifles or whatever on your back in parks or in front of schools. Keep a pistol under you jacket, whatever, out of sight out of mind, but no one in their right mind sees a need to bring a loaded shotgun on their back to Walmart.
Also, that anyone who legitimately thinks that their AR-15 or six shooter could protect them from a tyrannical government is delusional. Maybe back in WW2, but technology haws no reached the point where small arms really don't matter on the grand scale anymore. Any sort of resistance would be better off constructing IEDs than touting their weapons.

The truth of the matter is that gun control in general does work, as much as some people love to deny it and post ridiculous memes of Stalin, Mao, and Hitler, but I think the US is just too far gone and has other circumstances that don't really make it viable, sadly.
I find it funny research into gun violence is illegal in the US. Yep, totally nothing to hide here, fellas.

Oh, and Gun-free Zones I can't really see working unless the entire country is a Gun-free Zone. It's not like there's some invisible barrier there that guns can't cross, there's generally pretty much no security at all as far as I'm aware.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SPECULUM

The reason you can't protect yourself without a gun is because everybody else has a gun. The reason everybody else has a gun, is because years and years of no regulation and a MID, along with the "might makes right" and "YEEHAW!" culture have made it so guns outnumber people.
Oh, also, a gun won't protect you. If someone truly wanted you dead, you would be killed before you had a chance to even draw it.

To be fair, you can't shoot and kill people with your sexual orientation. Though for all the fuss some people make about the topic, you might be forgiven for thinking you could.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Does it not worry you that others also have the same freedoms and abuse them so badly and create such an enviroment that you would need to be armed to feel safe?

Let me ask you a question. The "others" that you speak of, already violate the laws that we have. If we change our laws, what makes you think that they are going to obey them? If the "others" don't obey the law, it kind of makes the law useless.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Just like to point out... the USA had a technological edge on the North Vietnamese that should have ended that conflict in weeks.. instead it lasted years and America ending up leaving the south to its fate.

Technology is great, and can do a lot to save the lives of your people, but without boots on the ground going toe to toe with the enemy you cannot beat a determined opponent... thats when guns come into play.

Also as a side note, many of the gun owners are vets, or currently serving people... I think (my opinion no other data to add) the fed would get at best 25-35% of the military to assist them against american civilians/vets.

Side tangent(more on topic): till people return a value of human life, till they bring back the family unit so parents have the chance to imprint these values on their kids we will not solve the violence problem in the US.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It's simple. Why should I be allowed to defend myself in my home, but nowhere else?

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pants3204
It's simple. Why should I be allowed to defend myself in my home, but nowhere else?

What are you wanting to defend yourself against?

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: Pants3204

What are you wanting to defend yourself against?

Carjacking, mugging, wild animals, etc. Essentially any dangers to me or my family that may occur outside of the home.
edit on ppm1231193204 by Pants3204 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Pants3204

Why do you need a gun to defend yourself?
Because your assailant might have a gun.
Why might your assailant have a gun?

years and years of no regulation (or basically nonexistent regulation) and a MilitaryIndustrialComplex, along with the "might makes right" and "YEEHAW!" culture

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Not at all. Your assailant may only have a knife, a rock, or even his fists. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to defend yourself in the most effective manner possible. Wild animals don't carry guns, and they can still be a legitimate threat to your life.
edit on ppm1231073204 by Pants3204 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Pants3204

I can defend myself from someone who has a knife, rock, or their fists fairly easily. In the majority of circumstances simply running away is the best solution, anyway, without also being a danger to other citizens by carrying a loaded firearm.

I can't imagine getting carjacked by someone with a rock.

The Wild Animal argument isn't one I can really relate to. Every animal over here that will kill you will likely kill you without you even realising it's happened.
edit on 28/12/2015 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
I can defend myself from someone who has a knife, rock, or their fists fairly easily. In the majority of circumstances simply running away is a fairly easy solution, without also being a danger to other citizens by carrying a loaded firearm.

Good for you. What about people who cannot?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join