It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An outsiders questions on US gun control.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
A gun is false confidence. If you have the training necessary to use it properly, it's unlikely you'll actually need it.
A gun also leads to a massive escalation of conflict.

I am as stated an outsider here but in my mind anyone that knows how to use a gun and defend themselves would be highly unlikely to put themselves in a situation where they would have too.

First rule of self defense, don't put yourself in danger.

"A gun is false confidence. If you have the training necessary to use it properly, it's unlikely you'll actually need it.
A gun also leads to a massive escalation of conflict."

Male cow feces. I've had weapons training from the military and have been trained to work as an armed guard in high threat areas.

It would be nice if we had the ability to see into the future and know where and when danger was going to happen.

I've never had a fire in my house, but, I have smoke alarms and fire extinguishers. I know first aid ,CPR and have a well stocked first aid kit at hand in case I need to use them. I very rarely get a flat tire, but, I have a jack and spare tire in my car.

edit on 28-12-2015 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

A gun is false confidence. If you have the training necessary to use it properly, it's unlikely you'll actually need it.
A gun also leads to a massive escalation of conflict.

I am as stated an outsider here but in my mind anyone that knows how to use a gun and defend themselves would be highly unlikely to put themselves in a situation where they would have too.

First rule of self defense, don't put yourself in danger.

"A gun is false confidence. If you have the training necessary to use it properly, it's unlikely you'll actually need it.
A gun also leads to a massive escalation of conflict."

Male cow feces. I've had weapons training from the military and have been trained to work as an armed guard in high threat areas.

It would be nice if we had the ability to see into the future and know where and when danger was going to happen.

I've never had a fire in my house, but, I have smoke alarms and fire extinguishers. I know first aid ,CPR and have a well stocked first aid kit at hand in case I need to use them. I very rarely get a flat tire, but, I have a jack and spare tire in my car.

Fair points but questions as to my OP

Do you carry a car jack whilst walking?

Why carry a loaded firearm in case of an incident that might not occour? what if the other guy does the same?

Who get's shot and who is wrong?

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I was bow hunting sitting in my blind. A coyote ran up to the bait pile and sniffed around, we locked eyes, I grabbed my 9 millimeter that was on my hip, I looked around to see if he had friends as I was taught in my training, no other coyotes in sight, he chose to run the other way and chose to keep on living. Coyotes in my area do run in packs and to my knowledge have never attacked a person. It's better to be safe than sorry. I have also found wolf tracks a few times as well, recently while hunting and last year while snow shoeing with my kids. Last year about 75 miles from where I live a girl was attacked by a bear. I often travel to Detroit to visit family. I've never needed a gun to defend myself and hope I never do but if I do it's there just in case. I will always try to get away because I don't want to harm anyone and I sure don't want to go through the legal system. As I said before I do feel it's no ones business what is under my clothes. We have a right to privacy, we have a right to defend ourselves, and it's legal. I do often wonder as I'm holding a door open for a family, as I'm smiling at the family in the store, as I'm riding my motorcycle down the street or as I'm picking my kids up from school, what would people think if they knew I was carrying? Of course where I live lots of people do. I often see people open carrying and I'll strike up a conversation, just like I do when I see people with tattoos or anything else that interests me. On a nice day I'll even go to the rifle range with my wife and daughters. My 15 year old is the best shooter in the family.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Pants3204

My point was that your naivety may soon come to an end due to the fact that England is quickly becoming a more violent nation.

The UK, (England is but one constituent part of it), has always been very violent in places.
It's not all tea and crumpets whilst watching cricket on the village green.

The thing is they keep changing just what exactly constitutes a violent crime - its got so bad that shaking your fist and frowning may indeed be decreed violent behaviour.

Besides, its apples and pears - the UK is not the USA, and vice versa.

I've been involved in some pretty nasty stuff over the years. I've never looked back and wished I'd had a gun - in fact if I had I'd probably have been lifed off by now!

Because gun ownership is so ingrained in US society and its collective psyche its hard for Americans to understand the British / European take on things....and again, vice versa.
Many Brits / Europeans simply can't get their heads around what they perceive as America's unhealthy obsession with guns.

I think the OP is making a genuine attempt to understand the US take on things and for that should be commended.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
a reply to: SPECULUM

The reason you can't protect yourself without a gun is because everybody else has a gun. The reason everybody else has a gun, is because years and years of no regulation and a MID, along with the "might makes right" and "YEEHAW!" culture have made it so guns outnumber people.
Oh, also, a gun won't protect you. If someone truly wanted you dead, you would be killed before you had a chance to even draw it.

To be fair, you can't shoot and kill people with your sexual orientation. Though for all the fuss some people make about the topic, you might be forgiven for thinking you could.

Not true..Well practiced Firearm users survival percentages are off the charts, when dealing with assholes. Better to be prepared, than not

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I don't carry a gun I carry a knife.
If they get close... I got it.

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Never bring a knife to a gun fight...Geez

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: SPECULUM

What I mean, is that if someone wanted you really definitely dead, they wouldn't advertise it. They'd jam a knife into some important location (kidney, stomach, femoral artery, throat, etc.) before you even knew what was happening.

Not true..Well practiced Firearm users survival percentages

Yes, well practiced. Not firearm users in general, well practiced ones. I agree, they likely have a very high survival rate.
edit on 28/12/2015 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Dec, 28 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Why not carry both...

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Carry both, remember the 21 foot rule? If they're within 21 feet and they decide to do you harm chances are your firearm will not have time to get into play. Situational awareness rules supreme and a gun doesn't make you bullet proof. I do understand why people don't like them, I also understand false bravado can get you killed. The gun can be the deciding factor for you or the guy that takes it away and uses it on you.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
to those pro/gun

what conditions would have to be met so that you feel no need to carry or owe a firearm (hope the question makes sense if not I hope someone can point it out to me)

btw wow loving the debate going it's nice to see people willing to talk about this really.. people are genuinely curious about this topic but it ends up normally in misunderstanding.. Nice to see a genuine attempt to chat to explain were you guys/ladies stand
edit on 29-12-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Layaly

There is no condition. Even if there had been no recorded instance of violent crime in the past one hundred years, they would likely still wish to own one, if not carry it, because you "never know."

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Are you really that ignorant?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Yes, well practiced. Not firearm users in general, well practiced ones. I agree, they likely have a very high survival rate.

Chuck Norris is very well practiced. He doesn't use a gun though, he spits bullets.

edit on 12/29/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
An outsiders questions on US gun control.

The only thing outsiders need to know is.

1. We have the US constitution were RIGHTS are specifically laid out. People can't be held 'accountable' for crimes they don't commit.

As such they are ENTITLED to their days in court, and be given DUE PROCESS and crimes be PROVEN beyond ALL reasonable doubt.

2. The US government is one of the largest arms dealers in the world. That arms terrorists, and drug cartels. Hell bascially nayone they deem to be 'friendly'.

Except when it comes to their own people.

Now ask yourself why is there even such a thing as gun control here in the US when that SAME government sends arms to destabilize, and other throw other governments around the world.

Once you get the answers to the above that is self evident you know the reason the founding fathers wrote the second, and spelled it out loud and clear.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

A right is a RIGHT. It's not conditional on the state of the mobs whims.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

Are you really that ignorant?

Apparently so.

Point being?

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Guns have issues when carried right now,I won't go on ANY more lists than I have already wandered onto.
A knife is fine.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

So how would you feel if a law was passed that meant the owning of any gun you choose was perfectly legal as long as it was in your own home secured or you had a legitimate permit for say hunting or carrying it to a gun range but carrying a gun in public imposed a heavy prison sentance like it does here in the UK?

This sentence perfectly encapsulates everything wrong with the liberal universe.

We The People are the issuing authority. The government has an armed force by our permission. Not the other way around.

1. So how would you feel if a law was passed

Once again emotions are the premise. One that is discussing government regulation. From the outset we are supposed to accept emotion based administration. Or more simply put. Government by Hysteria.

2. that meant the owning of any gun you choose was perfectly legal

The famous second step of comparing things that have nothing to do with each other. The consumerist lingo of choice, to choose, that it's not so bad if we get choosing out of the deal. The reality is that people in this country invent new weapons. We don't just "choose" them. I'm sorry that my not standing in the check out line with you makes you uncomfortable. That I know how to manufacture a weapon more terrible than any on the shelf. That suddenly you want someone to regulate and oversee me. Make me stand in the miserable checkout line. Like you have too. Or you could quit denying reality.

3. as long as it was in your own home secured or you had a 4. legitimate permit for say hunting or carrying it to a gun range but carrying a gun in public imposed a 5. heavy prison sentance like it does here in the UK?

The way the Government justifies their legitimate purpose for droning people to me is that they don't. They just announce their successes after the fact. At no point is there a trial to actually legitimize the murder, to absolve the drone operator and to condemn the issuing chain of command. With, how did you put it, a heavy prison sentance (sp)?

Congratulations on getting 5 out of 5 packed into one single sentence. This may be a new level of density achieved in political/liberal thought. Have we crossed the event horizon yet?

So how do I feel about it.

Galactically disappointed that this is what liberal thought calls dialog and seeking the middle ground.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 29-12-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2015 by mikegrouchy because: format and grammar

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikegrouchy

So how would you feel if a law was passed that meant the owning of any gun you choose was perfectly legal as long as it was in your own home secured or you had a legitimate permit for say hunting or carrying it to a gun range but carrying a gun in public imposed a heavy prison sentance like it does here in the UK?

This sentence perfectly encapsulates everything wrong with the liberal universe.

We The People are the issuing authority. The government has an armed force by our permission. Not the other way around.

1. So how would you feel if a law was passed

Once again emotions are the premise. One that is discussing government regulation. From the outset we are supposed to accept emotion based administration. Or more simply put. Government by Hysteria.

2. that meant the owning of any gun you choose was perfectly legal

The famous second step of comparing things that have nothing to do with each other. The consumerist lingo of choice, to choose, that it's not so bad if we get choosing out of the deal. The reality is that people in this country invent new weapons. We don't just "choose" them. I'm sorry that my not standing in the check out line with you makes you uncomfortable. That I know how to manufacture a weapon more terrible than any on the shelf. That suddenly you want someone to regulate and oversee me. Make me stand in the miserable checkout line. Like you have too. Or you could quit denying reality.

3. as long as it was in your own home secured or you had a 4. legitimate permit for say hunting or carrying it to a gun range but carrying a gun in public imposed a 5. heavy prison sentance like it does here in the UK?

The way the Government justifies their legitimate purpose for droning people to me is that they don't. They just announce their successes after the fact. At no point is there a trial to actually legitimize the murder, to absolve the drone operator and to condemn the command issuing chain of command. With, how did you put it, a heavy prison sentance (sp)?

Congratulations on getting 5 out of 5 packed into one single sentence. This may be a new level of density achieved in political/liberal thought. Have we crossed the event horizon yet?

So how do I feel about it.

Galactically disappointed that this is what liberal thought calls dialog and seeking the middle ground.

Mike Grouchy

Simply WOW.

You go there sunshine.

I read and re-read that about 5 times and it still means almost nothing.

posted on Dec, 29 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Simply WOW.

You go there sunshine.

I read and re-read that about 5 times and it still means almost nothing.

I love you too.

/hugs

Mike Grouchy
edit on 29-12-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join