It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Drone Pilots Are Quitting Faster Than They Can Be Replaced:

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Show me the 7-11 cashier that's responsible for staring at a screen for hours, trying to tell the difference between a guy with a gun to protect his family and a guy with a gun that's trying to kill a group of soldiers under their protection, for hours at a time, day in and day out. Or to identify a truck yay belongs to Isis as opposed to some innocent villager, and going back again and again.

There's a hell of a difference between ringing up a slurpee and staring at computer monitors for hours, knowing you're the difference between life and death for people on the ground.

Our max rotation is 3 on 2 off 3 on 2 off, we could do 2 more on but we never do. We do not really ident much, we fly the plane and camera and that all feeds to intel that makes all the decisions and analyzing, they then tell us where to go and what to do. Much of the intel is rather boring stuff too like watching a house for a week as some old lady sweeps dirt over and over. When things get interesting it is actually better. I use to take the shift at sunset because the bad guys would farm/work during the day and pick up their guns as the sun set, it was the busty time of the day and made my shift go by rather quickly.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Unfortunately, it would take a hero with 'Snowden-like' courage to shed light on why the disparity.

until then, lets all be patriots and say 'its for the greater good' whatever is going with that.

/sarc/

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
The way that report reads to me is almost as if the Air Force can't seem to get their collective heads around the truth that people really do not like looking at innocents being wiped out.

Any normal and rational person would know this truth. But the Air Force? Go figure.

P

Tangenial Off-Topic Warning...

The Air Force has always had something of a collective inferiority complex and over compensates. They insist that they can 'win wars' with minimal loss of 'military' life but have yet to actually do so.

In my opinion they should continue as a support for the Army as originally envisioned.

Air power is insufficient force to win a war or a police operation. It tends to generate more combatants on the ground because of the loss of civilian life inherent in 'arm-chair' warfare.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
It is also a crappy job for officers who want to actually pilot an aircraft. Drone pilots are at the bottom of the fly boy totem poll. Now they are going to allow enlisted pilots so that should solve any problems they have.

Not sure, but drone 'operators' aren't officer corp.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

They come through pilot slots. They're currently delaying a number of pilot slots from going to their selected aircraft for their first tour to get more uav operators in the seats.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
When the weapons of war become so uncivilized that soldiers actually quit over it we need to reconsider whether such weapons should be used at all.
The first man to drop the atomic bomb killed himself too.
There is no honor or courage required for long-distance killing by remote control.

People used to say the same about Bow and arrows vs spears or swords, guns vs spears, swords and bows, now it's drones from the other side of the world vs guns on the ground, in the end we all got used to it and copy their usage.

NIcely stated. I'd never seen drones precisely in that manner but you are absolutely correct. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

They come through pilot slots. They're currently delaying a number of pilot slots from going to their selected aircraft for their first tour to get more uav operators in the seats.

I been out of the military for about 8 years so things might be different, but they all went though Under Pilot Training like all AF pilots. When they graduated the upper 10% of the class got to pick their plane then the rest went to what the AF needed, so the guy next to you might get KC-10 and you get pred. I heard as you say that a guy might get C-17s but spend 2 years as a pred pilot first these days. Also in the AF there are no enlisted pilots, it is an officer thing....

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Is it as simple as its to much for all the pilots. Or do most realize they can take their degree and make more money else where. Cause it would seem that if one was qualified to do this and wanted to really fly this would just be a stepping stone. More info on the reason's other than the in/out number and all encompassing answer given would be nice.
edit on 26-12-2015 by MajorAce because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

The first man to drop the atomic bomb killed himself too.

That's really not true. Tom Ferebee, the bombadier on the Enola Gay, who pushed the button (actually, flipped the lever) that dropped the Hiroshima bomb died of old age at age 81 at his home in Windemere, Fl on March 16, 2000. He stayed in the Air Force until retirement . Was your post simply a mistake or is there some agenda leading to your falsehood and slander of a deceased veteran?

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: MajorAce
Is it as simple as its to much for all the pilots. Or do most realize they can take their degree and make more money else where. Cause it would seem that if one was qualified to do this and wanted to really fly this would just be a stepping stone. More info on the reason's other than the in/out number and all encompassing answer given would be nice.

Do you know how much a Capt on flight pay gets...hehe They do use it as a stepping stone, check and see that path of a CFI guy to get to the airlines.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Air power is insufficient force to win a war or a police operation. It tends to generate more combatants on the ground because of the loss of civilian life inherent in 'arm-chair' warfare.

When you own the skies you win the war period. That is the true purpose of the Air Force, pure sky domination. What we are dealing with here are just pew pew shots for political positioning. Our other choice is to put 50,000 back in country so that the AF can support them, is that would you want.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

That's really not true. Tom Ferebee, the bombadier on the Enola Gay, who pushed the button (actually, flipped the lever) that dropped the Hiroshima bomb died of old age at age 81 at his home in Windemere, Fl on March 16, 2000. He stayed in the Air Force until retirement . Was your post simply a mistake or is there some agenda leading to your falsehood and slander of a deceased veteran?

no he killed himself at age 81...

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

That's changing. The first enlisted Global Hawk operators are going through selection.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

When you own the skies you win the war period. That is the true purpose of the Air Force, pure sky domination. What we are dealing with here are just pew pew shots for political positioning. Our other choice is to put 50,000 back in country so that the AF can support them, is that would you want.

I agree that air superiority is key - but cannot do the job alone. Bombing an opponent into the dark ages does not win anything and is not a stragety that advances the 'end of hostilities'. Didn't work in Germany or Viet Nam and only argueably worked in Japan at the end with the atom bombs.

If the goal is to 'win' (whatever the F that means) and put an end to hostilities - Air Power alone is grossly inadequate and what the AF appears to be pedaling.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Didn't work in Germany or Viet Nam and only argueably worked in Japan at the end with the atom bombs.

I agree with the need for troops, but I disagree with limited effect. The bombing campaign devastated Germany, and Viet Nam linebacker I II did a lot, but we couldn't do much past that or before due to political pressure and if we did China would have entered the fray. Gulf war was a turkey shoot, but as you suggested we can't win a war on air power alone.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
My guess is that these pilots have figured out who the REAL terrorists are.

I'm sure they read ATS like the rest of us...

This is a scenario that's unfolded over and over again throughout history. It keeps repeating, not because history's been forgotten, but rather because it hasn't been properly understood. The gang of armed men doing the killing and kidnapping usually IS the government.

www.youtube.com...

Originally posted by Oannes
All of the puzzle pieces are begining to fit together. The Government is the world biggest, most organized crime mob. They turn a profit on suffering, drugs, and deceit.

And does a CIA drone strike against a CIA sponsored operation really make any sense?

"One of the most successful frauds ever perpetrated upon the American people is the notion the CIA exists to provide intelligence to the president. In fact, the CIA's intimate links to Wall Street suggest that the CIA was created to serve the perceived interests of investment bankers".

www.amazon.com...

edit on 26-12-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

a reply to: Xtrozero

That's changing. The first enlisted Global Hawk operators are going through selection.

Nice it is about time. The AF has always been to much of a prima donna about pilots. Back in the 80s and 90s we pushed to create enlisted co-pilots that would never move past that point. It would have reduce the need for so many pilots and keep the officer to the aircraft captain and leadership roles, but NOooo got to be an officer to be a pilot in the AF..hehe

It is interesting they would pick Global Hawk since it is like the size of a 727 and truly world capable. I always thought they would do pred enlisted pilots and have a Officer as a battle commander to make the decisions for the enlisted pilots. I also think it is a requirement to have an officer pull the trigger on any aircraft mission.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
My first thought would be that these people are participating in war zones every day. From what I've heard from soldiers it takes a lot of time to adjust to being in a war zone, and then to adjust when you're back at home. These people have to make that adjustment every single day. That has to be a significant cause of stress.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: southbeach
yes Autonomous the word of the future , unconsciousness drone fighter that soon learns the artificial intelligent drone fighter how to kill humans at best .

Someday they will call us zoo people ...

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Are any weapons of mankind he uses to kill his fellow human "civilized"

I wonder?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join