It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Downsides of Being Beautiful

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

I am a handsome man. I am not noticeably good looking but I have my symmetry and proportion. (thanks mom!)

Personal beauty can be a bad thing. All the benefits point to beauty being better but consider this:

when I was more attractive I had problems with the women I was attracted to thinking I was a player. Once they saw the non threat I am they realized I was not and we moved forward, but half of the women I was really interested in that I ever met in this phase were writing me off. It could have been other factors as well like the type of women I was looking for or a deep seeded personal malfunction, but ultimately I was beautifying myself to become a type for someone else. Another person that I could see that was doing the same. This was contrived and doomed to fail. There was nothing organic about it. Thankfully this phase was not long lasting but brief. Still, vanity breeds and attracts itself and its fake nature leaves lasting impressions.

When you think you are "too cool for school" or "too hot to drop" you tend to have strong manifestations of ego driven impulses. They are destructive.

When I was more muscular other males would look to either assert themselves with me or challenge me over simple things like space or talking time in a group.

Now that I am a little older and less "20 something", I dont get that. Maybe its all in my head but women are MUCH more responsive to passive flirting and men are more prone to passively accept me or enlist me as a wing man. I do not know them sometimes and this plays out.

Maybe because I am married, women see through me and know I am never going to follow through. Maybe men pick up on the lack of Fs given and that gets me under their radar. I dont know.

Good looking or not, we all either use what we got or it works against us.

Maybe I just learned to use what I got and I stopped working against myself. I dont know maybe not. I dont care. We are all so human.

Being older is awesome. LOL

Its when you start to fall in love with people and less so with types that you start to see a balance between design and function in relationships. You fall out of love with yourself and your type and into love with all "types".

Thats my 2 cents.

Have a good one.

edit on 12 26 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

you are a good looking fella though, and thanks for kicking all those ghosts asses brother

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The downside?

Probably when you're a model and you find yourself stuck under DJ Khaled.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: orionthehunter
I heard beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it seems like many view beauty and the world different. I don't mind though because life would be more dull if everyone believed the same thing and saw everyone the same way. Talking to some other guys online who posted pics of what turns them on, I know beauty does not look the same to everyone. The girls they posted pics of are turn offs for me.

Isn't there a Twilight Zone episode about this - where everyone choses what to look like from a handful of models.....

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
7 page's of scrolling and no pic, I'm leaving here bitterly dissatisfied.

I was once beautiful, a few stone ago

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: OnionHead

Few years for me. Age is a great equalizer. However, the person inside is still there. Does anything else matter?

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I am seeing some vanity in this thread.

Something to remember ...

Beauty is only skin deep, whereas ugly goes right to the bone ...

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic
You mean this guy. He does seem to have the confidence thing down, and also the funny part, and even the intelligence thing down pat, because that video is freaking hilarious, and how else can somebody become that rich basically selling crappy # music. The ladies seem to like him despite his lacking looks.

But anyways! So when is the walk off going to take place among all these beautiful people? I do believe the mysteries of this whole phenomenon were solved sometime about a thousand years before the first Pharaohs even rose to power in Egypt..Not a mystery by a long shot, people however like there makebelieve. To the point that it become there truth and world, and both must be held up, because it can not stand by itself now can it, females would know that well, but were all guilty of that in one form or another. The only issue I see here is whatever these peoples points or whatever there issues are, they just need to get on with it already.

This whole thread would be kind of pointless without a walk off.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   

edit on 27-12-2015 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I look around at everyone around me and there is not one person I have ever encountered that did not have beauty. Everyone is beautiful to me...

Here is a wonderful video that expresses it beautifully

We are beautiful...

leolady

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

No worries, my friend. I'm a hackit-faced bastard, skinny with 'celtic' teeth. But I'm happy, and as long as the people I love are happy too - it's alright.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I just don't see any down side to being beautiful. Except jealous, insecure observers. I love seeing beauty cause I try to find beauty in everything. Like the first time I saw a desert, thought it was ugly. You just got to look a little deeper.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe
a reply to: Timely

No worries, my friend. I'm a hackit-faced bastard, skinny with 'celtic' teeth. But I'm happy, and as long as the people I love are happy too - it's alright.

And what, pray tell, is more beautiful than that?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I'm ugly as sin but I could give a rats arse what others think. I'm happy and damn proud to be here.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent
I'm ugly as sin but I could give a rats arse what others think. I'm happy and damn proud to be here.

And that is beautiful inside and out.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
This thread is going to get very interesting

Beauty to me has very little to do w ones physical appearance. That's over stated I know. But I feel is a universal truth

He said like 4 times he;s not talking about beauty, exactly.

Weird could have fooled me w the title and content

Ironically another factor to me that determines someone's beauty is how they treat other people and their general demeanor.

The inability to be wrong or express oneself w out coming across as hostile is very unattractive

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I remember years ago a serious social matter/appeal being moved to the "chit-chat" section.... yet THIS remains in the "social issues and unrest" forum?

Man, ATS really has changed. And not for the better.

edit on 27-12-2015 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

I had two girlfriends who can be considered very beautiful...one girlfriend not that very attractive. If I had to start a bar fight with every man trying to hit on those two attractive girls I would probably the man with most broken bones on the planet. It is nice to have a beautiful girlfriend which is beautifull on the inside too.. Those beauties of mine were not so beautiful on the inside...because when I stopped paying attention who was hitting on them it didn';t take long before they found someone who probably would.

They say you never ride a brand new bike alone... better buy a bike which doesn't look that shiny... chances are they didn't steal it from you when returning to use it again.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
I just don't see any down side to being beautiful. Except jealous, insecure observers. I love seeing beauty cause I try to find beauty in everything. Like the first time I saw a desert, thought it was ugly. You just got to look a little deeper.

The desert example - really well put.

And you are right, there IS no downside to beauty itself.
The problem is, some people are so obsessed with themselves that they fail to really see others and their problems. If they had, they would see that all (or most) people face more or less the same problems - only the individual "triggers" may be different.

But, like I said in another post, I really do believe this should be moved to the "chit chat" section.
Contrary to what the OP may be assuming (judging by the tone), there ARE other physically beautiful people on this and other forums.

edit on 27-12-2015 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join