It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Downsides of Being Beautiful

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
I would trade 40 IQ points and got to 100 IQ for a 40% increase in good looks anyday!

Sounds like a bad tradeoff honestly; 40% of zero is zero.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

originally posted by: Spider879
The ironing part not so much although I can if forced..

No if I have to force you to do it, I might as well've spent the time doing it myself...and doing it right.

Sorry, it's just not meant to be.

wHy????????

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

Daaaaaaamn.

So cold.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

I would trade 40 IQ points and got to 100 IQ for a 40% increase in good looks anyday!

Ouch

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

My objection was based upon the assumption that women played no part in the decision making and could bring only "prettiness" to the bargaining table. History is replete with examples of both men and women marrying above their socio-economic status, it is not and has never been the sole province of women "to marry up". We can call it commodity trading, for want of a better term, but whether man or woman, it takes intelligence to get on your back for the right person, they do have earn that place, looks alone won't get it or keep it for them.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

And they say women are bitches.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

All it takes is 1 minute of talking to any supposed "beautiful" man or woman for me to see them as something else, for what they truly are.

I cant tell you how many people may look beautiful, but the nothingness in their eyes is the greatest turn off. After that, their physical attractiveness becomes invisible and all i see is the beast for what it is.

When youre not blinded by your sexuality, you realize a lot about people.
edit on 26-12-2015 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: OneGoal

beautiful people are all beasts did i read that right?

growls

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Agreed. It's what's inside that counts!

a reply to: TechniXcality

meow. hiss.

Thank you, by the way. You're a good friend ^_^ I really appreciate it.

edit on 26-12-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
What are you all talking about? There are few bad trade offs to being beautiful. But I guess you people would not know anything about that. Now me, being one of the beautiful people would know what I am talking about.

And I can say that on the list of downsides being beautiful having would be somewhere at the bottom. Sometimes and even at work in dirty jobs I remember used to have people more then a few times come up to me and give me there business card for modeling and what not. I was like "what the hell dude and dudets why you giving me this #" that is so not me.

Which was definitely not my thing, # a few times I the one time I remember was in winter when I was all bundled up as a teen working at a parking garage I was mistaken for a chick by others going by facial features alone. Yes I am that good looking and if it were not for my sunny side disposition and glare, and the ability to KO fools left and right for any slight perceived thing at a whim, I would be getting free things all the time.

It is a good thing I have gotten uglier as I grew up and life in some ways has taken a toll on me, not to mention all the weird bizarre things which are sometimes attracted to my lifeline which hold me in place. If it were not for all kinds of things and demons a plenty many things would have gone to my head by now. Besides I would not want to have things to easy. It is a good thing I gots more issues in some ways then most of you will have in any thousand lifetimes or it would have went to my head by now, and that is the least of it.

But you know, people being people. It takes all kinds, but for the most part beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and for the most part different people have different definitions on beautiful, and for an even greeter part, well generally if your a good looking woman, you don't have much to worry about, and if your a rich man the same implies. The rest are kind of in between depending on a bunch of factors but life has a iffy way of keeping everything in check.

And as a beholder to this thread and what you people are talking about. I would say everybody is full of themselves.

People are shallow for the most part and kind of idiots, and no matter there issues or scruples in everything in life there are always trade offs. It is known. This thread is like watching fish theorize on what it would be like if they had legs and walked on land. A feet they can never hope to achieve or even have a clue on..Get it feet and fish? Sometimes I am so witty I scare myself.

Besides it is known. And if you did not know, now you do because I told you all. I suppose everybody can scamper along now that issue has been clarified and solved.

edit on 1pmSaturdaypm262015f6pmSat, 26 Dec 2015 13:18:10 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

Why did that marry up comment hurt ppl?
Well, I'm not sure what other people may think about the comment, but here is what I think:

Givens:
A certain woman has the following characteristics:
1. Intelligence
2. Beauty

She has the following choices:
1. Pursue a career independent of another person
2. "Marry up" to a partner already stationed at a higher level in society

She has the following goals:
1. Improve her station in life
2. Feel a sense of accomplishment in pursuit of goal #1

Societal perception:
1. Intelligence is viewed favorably.
2. Independent achievement is held in high esteem.
3. Beauty is considered shallow.
4. Dependence demonstrates weakness.

Effort required to utilize characteristics:
1. Intelligence = high effort
2. Beauty = little effort

Choice Results:
1. Choice #1 (Independence)
- Relies primarily on Characteristic #1 (Intelligence) which requires high effort.
- High effort tends to increase Goal #2 (accomplishment.)
- Success will achieve her full goal set.
- Utilizing Characteristic #1 (Intelligence) in pursuit of Choice #1 (Independence) is held in high esteem by society.
- Because of characteristic #2 (beauty) she faces problems employing characteristic #1 (intelligence)
- Not being able to successfully employ characteristic #1 (intelligence) will result in not achieving either of her goals.

2. Choice #2 (Marry-Up)
- Relies primarily on Characteristic #2 (beauty) which requires minimal effort.
- Minimal effort diminishes Goal #2 (accomplishment)
- Only achieves goal #1 (Station) at the expense of goal #2 (accomplishment)
- Reliance on another person to achieve goal #1 (station) implies dependence.
- Utilizing characteristic #2 (beauty) and dependence implied by Choice #2 (Marry-up) is considered shallow and weak by society.
- Even if the advanced station in life attained in Choice #2 (Marry-Up) provides opportunity for pursuit of Goal #2 (Accomplishment), Goal #2 will always be overshadowed by the employment of attributes held in low esteem by society.

So, selecting choice #1 does not insure success. It is a more difficult path to follow. But achieving either or both of her goals is so much more satisfying because she did it by herself.

On the other hand, selecting choice #2 does insure success to some degree. But it is an easy path, and the sense of achievement may never rise to the level that she would experience by attaining her goals independently.

-dex

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I'm so beautiful on the inside, the shine broke off all the ugly
outside and now people are twice as jealous.

Even youuuu.

Beautiful thread OP!
SnF

In the future I'll star and flag every thread and star every post.

I just don't know if it's because you're beautiful or if it's because
I feel so sorry for you being beautiful.

edit on Rpm122615v54201500000036 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
To rip off King Solomon, charm is fleeting, and beauty passes away, but An honest woman with a decent sense of humor shall be praised.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

I feel you’re pain. I’m beautiful too and let me tell you it gets rough.

All these woman, and even some men, hanging on me trying to get my attention.

Its tough being beautiful

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

Seems you're handling your curse just fine...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, anyway. You could look like a super model but when you know it and act like an ass because of it, people are reacting to the ass part, not the beauty.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Be extremely unattractive and over weight and try and get a job...lol I have a co-workers who I have a hard time looking at and not in a good way (ya I know it sounds bad) but anyhow she posted this same thing on her face book about how lonely beautiful women are.

I was like geez...OK

edit on 26-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I hope you are blond because you might be already starting at 100...

I couldn't resist.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

people are reacting to the ass part, not the beauty.

Well said indeed. And this would go far to describe childish
people who hold grudges on social media sites like ATS.
That's just ugly inside and out.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: OneGoal

beautiful people are all beasts did i read that right?

growls

No, it totally depends.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Confidence and Charisma is what counts. I prefer sexy to beautiful.

Intelligence I equate with sexiness not beautiful looks. You could be as ugly as a hatful of busted bottoms but if you have confidence, kindness, humor and intelligence, I will swoon.

edit on 26-12-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join