It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Downsides of Being Beautiful

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This is just weird. watching people write how good looking they think they are.

As society progressed being an intelligent motivated man tended to allow one to choose one of the prettier females. extrapolate this over 20 generations and thus looks and intelligence are correlated.

psychological studies have shown how much easier it is for a beautiful person to get what they want, job, mate, wealth, etc.

Looks also gives one a lot more leeway in being crazy and not having it effect them socially.

Being a victim of "people being nice to you" is not a problem. The problem is a poor social skill of figuring out who are bad people and users.

This is like a multi-millionare complaining about the cost of food.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I seem to recall that the golden mean has something to do with beauty. This article goes into some detail. I specifically remember how this comes into play with respect to the ratio of hips to waist. For me there is a point where a lady reaches that just-right point where I may never actually get as far as looking at her face.

But in all seriousness, it could be detrimental for a woman to be too good-looking for her to function to her full capacity in a male-dominated environment. For instance, there still tends to be more men in engineering than women. And those men tend to be the guys who were geeky nerds at one point in their lives. So, they may find just about any female to be at least somewhat desirable. But a truly beautiful woman may leave them so spellbound as to adversely affect their job performance. They may actually have great difficulty in working with such a person. So, ultimately her very presence in such an environment may degrade the performance of the team.

Then there is the possible downside for the lady who is so attractive that she is constantly ogled by her male co-workers. A woman who wants to be accepted for her mental prowess and proficiency at her job may be left feeling infuriated by the fact that those characteristics are completely ignored due to her physical beauty.

But worst of all, for me, is a woman who is quite intelligent and quite attractive at the same time. There have been many times where I have been watching one of those shows on the Science Channel only to have my train of thought interrupted by the combined intellect and beauty of one of the woman commentators. It is both a blessing and a curse.

For the record, yes I am a male pig. But, I view woman in the highest regard, with the utmost respect for those are able to achieve recognition in their chosen fields. However, I am a man with a significant testosterone level that frequently overcomes my ability to view women in the proper context, especially those who posses a certain level of attractiveness.

-dex

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

Yeah maybe because I am as mad as a box of badgers I attract mad as a box of frogs girls...
I still do not blame them 100% dude..

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
As society progressed being an intelligent motivated man tended to allow one to choose one of the prettier females. extrapolate this over 20 generations and thus looks and intelligence are correlated.

I could use the British Royal family as an example of how, in extremis perhaps, that does not actually correlate. Society dictates what is "prettier", or aspirational, in your model. If intelligence was the sole dictate upon choice then surely the "intelligent" male (or female) will select a mate with features, physical and practical, that compliment his, or her, own? Besides, "choice" is frequently arbitary.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

But in all seriousness, it could be detrimental for a woman to be too good-looking for her to function to her full capacity in a male-dominated environment. For instance, there still tends to be more men in engineering than women. And those men tend to be the guys who were geeky nerds at one point in their lives. So, they may find just about any female to be at least somewhat desirable. But a truly beautiful woman may leave them so spellbound as to adversely affect their job performance. They may actually have great difficulty in working with such a person. So, ultimately her very presence in such an environment may degrade the performance of the team.

Oh c'mon. college is dominated by women now. Before we know it guys will be outnumbered in college 3:1 Can't blame men for choosing more STEM degrees than women.
Also c'mon again if this women is so good looking and has a decent personality guess what? she can just marry up in life anyways. She has much more choices in life as it is.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Yeah maybe because I am as mad as a box of badgers I attract mad as a box of frogs girls...
I still do not blame them 100% dude..

I reckon it is because you are quite gentle like me. I have had the same. I am not joking either. My ex wife tried to kill me and another ex treated me like dirt. I think sometimes the guys who are not physically intimidating and are gentle get treated the worst because the ladies feel secure that they will not be retaliated against. Women, after so many centuries of being under the thumb, can have so much rage it is frightening.

You are a decent and nice guy. I would be happy if one of my sisters were married to a guy like you. It ain't your fault.

edit on 26-12-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
Redheads are a product of alien genetic mutation. Irresistible, but deadly.

edit on 12/26/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

she can just marry up in life anyways
So are you saying that a woman doesn't need a fulfilling career? She can just "marry up" to someone who makes a lot of money and just be happy living the good life as a trophy wife?

-dex

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley
a reply to: jellyrev

she can just marry up in life anyways
So are you saying that a woman doesn't need a fulfilling career? She can just "marry up" to someone who makes a lot of money and just be happy living the good life as a trophy wife?

-dex

That got a snort of derision from me too...I wasn't going to dignify it with a reply, but since you did...I feel like I have slipped into the 1940s...

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
you know i like to put tunes in some of the threads, i think these three from Robert Plamer fit pretty good here.

A pretty face don't make no pretty heart
I learned that buddy from the start
You think I'm cute, a little bit shy
Mama, I ain't that kind of guy

the lights are on
but your not home
your mind
is not your own

She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went
Simply irresistible she's all mine, there's no other way to go
She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went
Simply irresistible she's all mine, there's no other way to go

and here is one that fits just right.

I love myself, I want you to love me
When I'm feeling down, I want you above me
I search myself, I want you to find me
I forget myself, I want you to remind me

edit on 26-12-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana
That got a snort of derision from me too...I wasn't going to dignify it with a reply, but since you did...I feel like I have slipped into the 1940s...

Seeing as it's now the "enlightened" 21st Century, can men "marry up"?

I'd go for that...

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
When you step back and look at it, people are #ty to people.

Ugly people to ugly people, ugly people to beautiful people. Beautiful people to ugly people and beautiful people to other beautiful people.

Because people are #ty to people; that is the commonality. What form it takes may differ, but the underlying fact is that people are terrible people and this thread came off as narcissistic and a bit whiny.
edit on 12/26/2015 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
Seeing as it's now the "enlightened" 21st Century, can men "marry up"?

I'd go for that...

I would love to be a trophy husband.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9
a reply to: Bluesma

There's a difference between who you, individually, would find attractive when looking for a mate or sexual partner, and someone who is widely recognized as beautiful in your society.

This is a bit contradictory. It is like you are saying we are not allowed our own personal taste and you dismiss it as not being equal to the social definition of beauty.

It is a little narrow minded I think. You are saying that those elitist men who dictate what society should define as beauty have a better eye for beauty and their sense of aesthetics counts more than what we think.

You did not understand what I wrote then.
Who are these "elitist men"? I have no idea who you refer to.
Societies have modes of fashion and ideals of beauty in different times, and many of us would not want to be paired with someone who too closely ressembles that ideal. We'd like to see them, watch them, but not be married to them, partly because of the amount of attention they attract, and all the complications that go with that.

That does not mean anyone has a "better eye for beauty" than anyone else, nor that their aesthetic sense counts more or less.

But your comment illustrates a bit the sort of attitudes that a person who happens to have the current mode of beauty has to deal with - actually being rejected simply because of their looks. By people who want to make a statement that they are "different" in their tastes, more individualist, and don't conform to popular ascetics.

Not because of their personality, but simply because of their looks.

In my mind, that is being just as superficial as the "elitist men" they are trying to differenciate themselves from. (whoever that is).

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

I would suppose it would depend on how "pretty" you are. I think Barbara Windsor and Liza Minnelli are considered suitably enlightened, in that respect.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Me too...I am though, vibing wise, somewhere between this...

...and this...

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev

if this women is so good looking and has a decent personality guess what? she can just marry up in life anyways. She has much more choices in life as it is.

There.... another of the stupid prejudices that are, for some reason, allowed in our current society.
The assumption that a beautiful woman can be prejudiced against in the work field because they have the option of being a trophy wife.
Makes me sick. And pissed off.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

A man who can and does cook is the trophy husband of the 21st Century. If he can clean up after himself too, he's practically a god amongst men.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Kind of reminds me of that throwback Progressive Insurance TV commercial when the announcer asks Flo where her husband is. That look in her eye that says "I ought to jerk a knot in your ass" is priceless.

-dex

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana
A man who can and does cook is the trophy husband of the 21st Century. If he can clean up after himself too, he's practically a god amongst men.

You heard it hear first ladies, I am officially considered trophy husband material.

Please form an orderly line, the 'interview' process will begin shortly.

edit on 26-12-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: never go in against a Sicilian with death is on the line

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join