It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mystery of the Mamaluion Society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Calling all ATS members! Does anyone here live near the New-York Historical Society or know someone that does? If so, you're in for a treat. I discovered the existence of this secret society while researching another highly controversial topic relevant to the time.

To my knowledge, the Mamaluion Society (changed to Mamaluion Forum on April 1, 1822), has never been mentioned anywhere, outside of the their own book of minutes. The only information available online was posted by Kevin Butterfield, a National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow at the New-York Historical Society.

The Mamaluion Society I mentioned above, which was founded in 1816, made as the first order of business in its constitution (preserved in their book of minutes at the N-YHS) the announcement of the name of the society—and the declaration that its meaning shall forever remain hidden.

Source

Only a small portion of their constitution is pictured, which is what got me excited in the first place. I would love to take the trip myself, but it just isn't feasible at the moment.

Sec. 1. This Society shall be distinguished, and known by the name of the Mamaluion Society.

Sec. 2. The enigmatical interpretation of the word Mamaluion shall be made known to none, only to the members of this Society; and any members who shall divulge the meaning of the name to a non member shall be expelled the Society.

There’s no record of what the name meant. If it was a simple letter-substitution code, then it’s possible that the name “Mamaluion” was intended to have the secret meaning of “Cucumbers” or “Ululating.” But that doesn’t seem right. Nearly 200 years later, it remains, as they had very much hoped in 1816, a secret.

I hope the lack of information and mystery is enough to convince someone to go check it out. Here's the area:

Link

Below is a brief summary from the New-York Historical Society…

Link

I was able to locate the book and it is available for viewing.

Link

If anyone here is willing to satisfy their curiosity, as well as mine, PLEASE...

Let me know what you find!!

edit on 25-12-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Calling all ATS members! Does anyone here live near the New-York Historical Society or know someone that does?

As a matter of fact I do. A recent addition to our local Historic Preservation Commission is also on the New York one.

I am looking forward to finishing your Original Post and discussing this with him.

Thank you.

edit on 25-12-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Now this is an example of a true secret society. I wonder how much influence they have toward American Society?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
There's a few ululating cucumbers near there. A obelisk in Columbus Circle and another in Central Park near the Met. I wonder where the trifecta is???

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The first rule of Mamaluion club is you shall not talk about Mamaluion Club

... actually its the second rule
edit on 25-12-2015 by errorcode because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Calling all ATS members! Does anyone here live near the New-York Historical Society or know someone that does?

As a matter of fact I do. A recent addition to our local Historic Preservation Commission is also on the New York one.

I am looking forward to finishing your Original Post and discussing this with him.

Thank you.

Great!

I'm happy knowing that you of all members have taken an interest. By reviewing other events in history from the same period, we can attempt to put their existence into context.

Did you happen to notice what I was researching?

Regardless of my interests, please let us know what you find out!

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Although interesting, I fail to see the influence of this secret society outside of being just a club of people with interests in "...improving members' skills of elocution, composition, and criticism. Members presented speeches, compositions, and participated in debates at each monthly meeting. ". They sound like Toastmasters. Anyhow the Melancton S. Swartwout could be this man:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: trifecta
There's a few ululating cucumbers near there. A obelisk in Columbus Circle and another in Central Park near the Met. I wonder where the trifecta is???

This is cool. Even if it's just a short lived, small group similar to toastmasters, it's a fun little mystery with some information possibly forthcoming.

As for ululating cucumbers, sounds like something you can buy at an "adult shop" - and they sound jiggly. Also an amazing band name, probably best suited to a ska band.

Ridiculous conspiracy twist: Perhaps they pre-cogged that 200 years later, you would post this OP, and on my first attempt to "swype" the word ululating, I would end up with 'illuminating', thus divulging the secret that would bring illumination to the entire world on Christmas night. If true, well, you're welcome, world...you're welcome.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: thejeremybenthem
Although interesting, I fail to see the influence of this secret society outside of being just a club of people with interests in "...improving members' skills of elocution, composition, and criticism. Members presented speeches, compositions, and participated in debates at each monthly meeting. ". They sound like Toastmasters. Anyhow the Melancton S. Swartwout could be this man:

en.wikipedia.org...

That gives things an interesting twist, if so. The idea of a group that got together to discuss literary matters seems totally incongruous to the overall milleu that was New York at that time, violence, criminality and corruption appear to have been more of the norm in the building of the great American cities than high ideals.

Reading up on the Swartwout-Hoyt scandal, if Swartwout (awesome name BTW) is one and the same associated with the OPs secret society, I would guess that it had something to do with Andrew Jackson's presidential campaign...a political alliance disguised as a book club...gangster-organisers or a confederacy of land-lubbing pirates perhaps, would be better terms perhaps...

The scandal served as a cautionary tale against the spoils system created by Andrew Jackson.

Andrew Jackson’s 1828 election ushered in the spoils system. The new president replaced 15% of the federal workforce with his own supporters. This was the largest turnover to date causing controversy. Jackson justified his actions by pointing to his decisive electoral victory. He did nothing illegal and claimed that “to the victors go the spoils.”

President Jackson appointed his friend Samuel Swartwout Collector of the Port of New York. The Port of New York was one of America’s main revenue streams. As a result, the collector earned a high salary and prestige. During his tenure, Swartwout sent supplies and aid to Texas for their revolution at his own expense. Since he was a federal employee, his aid was inappropriate. However, news leaked of worse misdeeds.

www.examiner.com...

Good stuff

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Thank you.

If you, or your "recent addition", do pop over there for a peek, a membership list would be super useful.

The Swartwout's are an incredibly interesting family. Dutch, for those like me who are ignorant of Dutch-US history and hence thought the name was "funny" (terribly English of me, sorry) sounding. I'm totally enamoured, been reading about the Esopus Wars. Great stuff.

OP not to digress, more an excuse to bump. Can't find a thing, (other than this thread duplicated on a number of other sites) about the Mamaluion Society, you've made a unique, and what seems promising, find. Good luck with that, and thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: thejeremybenthem

en.wikipedia.org...

That would be because you took everything at face value, and your imagination is dry.

I have an alchemical composition handy for dry imagination, jut U2U. (Joke).

This is really interesting and kind of fun. Fun, because as of now, we don't see this mamaulion society as hell bent globalists owning all banks and world leaders haha..

Look forward to more on this!

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
This is really interesting and kind of fun. Fun, because as of now, we don't see this mamaulion society as hell bent globalists owning all banks and world leaders haha..

Funnily enough...

The Swartwouts made their money as tobacco merchants, their "forefather" was evidently met at the dock by Peter Stuyvestant....or something like that. Loads of things named after them, very active on the Union side of the Civil War. Seem to have sunk out of favour around the time the Dutch as colonialist were generally dropping out of favour.

I think it could be a bit more than just a literary circle.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis
The New-York Historical Society makes reference material that they have on microfilm available for inter-library loan. I had film sent to central Ontario for a project that I was working on, for no cost. Get the archival info on what you want, and contact them by email to see what can be done to access it. Good hunting! (I love research)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
The New-York Historical Society makes reference material that they have on microfilm available for inter-library loan. I had film sent to central Ontario for a project that I was working on, for no cost. Get the archival info on what you want, and contact them by email to see what can be done to access it. Good hunting! (I love research)

That's interesting to know...ignorant provincial that I am, I had never even thought to ask about international inter library loans...you've just opened up a whole new world (literally) of affordable possibilities for me.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

That's interesting to know...ignorant provincial that I am, I had never even thought to ask about international inter library loans...you've just opened up a whole new world (literally) of affordable possibilities for me.

Glad to hear...surprised the heck out of me, too. Not that there's a lot of call for bills of lading from 1770's-era Schenectady, but I was sure happy to get the microfilm.

top topics

join