It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

92 billion light-years in diameter and only 13.7 billion years old????

page: 28
<< 25  26  27   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The issue of compounding speed being traveled is interesting for us.
We are all going very fast

The speed of light is 670,616,629 mph, we are moving at a combined speed of roughly 2.85 million mph. So even if the bodies are moving apart it still catches up to us.
edit on 3-1-2016 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
What I would really love someone to answer for me, is this; what is the universe expanding into? If it is uncontained, what is beyond the universe? And if it IS contained in someway, why is it not becoming more dense as the 'container' is filled?

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Miss325

What I would really love someone to answer for me, is this; what is the universe expanding into?
The not-this-Universe.

If it is uncontained, what is beyond the universe?
Same answer.

And if it IS contained in someway, why is it not becoming more dense as the 'container' is filled?
The obvious answer would be that it is not contained in some way. Or more correctly there is nothing observed which indicates that there is any compression occurring.

The point is, there is no way of knowing those answers. All we can go by is what is observed and produce theories which explain those things. The expansion of the Universe explains the observations.

edit on 1/3/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: spy66

I dont think Astyanax agrees With you.

Phage is correct and so is dragonridr. We are all in agreement as to what is going on.

Astyanax:
That is exactly what happens to light when space expands. It doesn’t get older. It gets faster.

My mistake. I said ‘light’ when I should have said ‘a luminous object’. As Phage points out, it’s that time of year.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

And that is more correct.
It's been a long weekend.

Actually, you were right first time. It is not the speed but the frequency of light that is affected by the metric expansion.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Miss325
What I would really love someone to answer for me, is this; what is the universe expanding into? If it is uncontained, what is beyond the universe? And if it IS contained in someway, why is it not becoming more dense as the 'container' is filled?

What is the universe expanding into?

The universe is probably not expanding into anything other than space increasing in volume between objects. It is actually Space that is expanding/stretching Our universe appart.

It is the stretching/expansion of Space that is increasing the distance between Objects.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Miss325

What I would really love someone to answer for me, is this; what is the universe expanding into?
The not-this-Universe.

If it is uncontained, what is beyond the universe?
Same answer.

And if it IS contained in someway, why is it not becoming more dense as the 'container' is filled?
The obvious answer would be that it is not contained in some way. Or more correctly there is nothing observed which indicates that there is any compression occurring.

The point is, there is no way of knowing those answers. All we can go by is what is observed and produce theories which explain those things. The expansion of the Universe explains the observations.

so...just to be clear...we cannot know the answer to that question? ever?
edit on 4-1-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm
Never say ever.

With what we know about the way things work, not ever. If we learn new things, very different things, there is no way of knowing what we might learn. But that does not mean that we would be able to learn what is "outside" our Universe.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Especially since, according to physicists and cosmologists, the Universe has no outside.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: spy66

The universe is probably not expanding into anything other than space increasing in volume between objects. It is actually Space that is expanding/stretching Our universe appart.

It is the stretching/expansion of Space that is increasing the distance between Objects.

Thus matter is expanding, possibly changing form?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Maybe there just isn't a beyond the universe in some manner that our limited experience can't grasp?

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax
That's why I left room for learning new stuff.

But there's no reason to think that learning new stuff would change what physicists and cosmologists say about it now.

Could that change? I guess. Will it? Just like we don't have any way of determining what's "outside" now, there is no way to say that we ever will.

edit on 1/4/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Maybe there just isn't a beyond the universe in some manner that our limited experience can't grasp?

It isn’t really that hard to grasp. Do you know how to make a Möbius Strip?

For those who are unfamiliar with this object — it’s a strip of paper with only one side. It’s real. You can touch it and run your finger along it to prove it has only one side.

posted on Jan, 4 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax
And they do cool tricks when you cut them in various ways.

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

originally posted by: spy66

Thus matter is expanding, possibly changing form?

How Space (Space and time) expand/stretch is a difficult subject to agree upon. Because there are many different parameters involved.

top topics

<< 25  26  27   >>

join