It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Circuit Court rules AGAINST banning the name Redskins!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

The Washington Redskins received an early Christmas gift Tuesday when a federal appeals court ruled against a trademark law that has been used to challenge the team’s name.

The D.C. Circuit Court ruled that the federal Lanham Act's ban on "disparaging" trademark registrations is viewpoint discrimination in violation of the First Amendment.

Wow, I agree with something a lower court has decided on!!!

The federal court in D.C. now says it’s unconstitutional for the government to refuse to register trademarks because it disapproves of the messages or concludes that they may be disparaging to others.

DC Circuit Court rules AGAINST banning the name Redskins!

My family is Scottish, Irish, Sioux, Cherokee, English, and Dutch.

My father was actually able to claim status as being Cherokee. I cannot as my mother's family was entirely Irish and English.

I do feel an affinity towards the Native tribes of America. I feel that they have been injured time and time again, and then insulted, not to mention spat upon.

All of this given, I also feel that the victim card is flying a little too fast and furious. Now, one may argue "Would it be any better to call a team 'The Darkies'?", which is about the closest correlation I can see between the indigenous peoples of America regarding their skin color and another demographic of humans.

But, for me....I do not feel this is anything to get panties in a kerfluffle over. I feel it is simply jumping on the bandwagon.

Just like Hillary Clinton attempting to win the emotional vote by tagging Trump as a "Bully". Not an actual case, but one that kinda looks like it, and will get you the same emotional victim status....

I am REALLY sick and tired of this PC bullsh*t.

edit on 25-12-2015 by nullafides because: Squirrels made me read that as SCOTUS, not DC Circuit Court...

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Professional Sports, the other opiate of the masses.

Call me when the issue is invading whole other countries and murdering their people in droves.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
You need to change the link because it's totally wrong. A Federal court in DC ruled on this not the Supreme court there's a big difference between the two. Hopefully the Native Americans will file against the appeal.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Call me when the issue is invading whole other countries and murdering their people in droves.

I couldn't agree more regarding sports. Idiotic plebes.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Well Morgan Finnigan Soaring Eagle Smith Van Nistletrooy, I can see why people are upset but yet I don't understand some of the uproar.

When people shout "Go skins!" they shout with passion for their team rather then shouting a derogatory remark. In a way it honors the ferocity and fearlessness of the 'redskin' warriors- and those who go flying off on a tangent may not help- there is probably a few British people who support the patriots that are not concerned with that sides name.

It's a tad PC, greenpeace hasn't petitioned for the Miami Dolphins to change their name because of it's cultural insensitivity to dolphins- after all they do have their own language. The best thing the Head honchos can do is recognize the original owners of the land every home game and incorporate the traditions of their namesake into the team, the fans, and the stadium, that's how you meet half way.

edit on 25-12-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

If some find the name offensive, and get it banned. . . .

Then what's to ban the drawing of Mohammed, because some find it offensive?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Nothing.

And ultimately, they probably will!

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I find the disdain for free expression, offensive.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Going forward................prepare to be offended............often and a lot.

Odd thing about this is that the ultimate result will be that very few, if any, will say much of anything at all. That's what happened in Nazi Germany. A whole lot of salutes amid a lot of silence.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Well Morgan Finnigan Soaring Eagle Smith Van Nistletrooy, I can see why people are upset but yet I don't understand some of the uproar.

Neither do I.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If some find the name offensive, and get it banned. . . .

Then what's to ban the drawing of Mohammed, because some find it offensive?

You----Preacher

Me----Choir

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
My alma mater's mascot was "The Braves" for many years.

My hometown's baseball team has been "The Braves" for all of my life.

Now my alma mater's mascot is "The Wolves" ... and Chief Noc-A-Homa is working in a Walmart (unless he's retired).

It's silly, and these things broke my heart ... but the world did not end.

And it's not "one side or the other" insisting on political correctness.

Fight PC wherever you see it, if it offends you. (It's the same thing they're doing.)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Redskins is not even a native American tribe, it is nothing but a word. Now, the tribe Cherokee, there are jeeps with that name and nobody complains. They have Sioux air tools, I doubt if the Sioux make them.

I see a lot of more appropriate things to complain about than the Redskins name being used in sports. The Indians I know don't even have red skin. Maybe they should rename the Red Skin Potato too.
edit on 25-12-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Why do we bend over backwards to accommodate blacks and Arabs in the name of political correctness, yet Native Americans can still be referred to by skin color? Sincerely, wtf?

ETA how many Native Americans are on that team? Aren't most NFL players black? Why not the Washington Blackskins? Because people would lose their sh!t that's why. But WHY???
edit on 25-12-2015 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Instead of the people that lived here before us who were nearly hunted to extinction? Is it that there aren't enough of them left so who cares if they're offended?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Why do we bend over backwards to accommodate blacks and Arabs in the name of political correctness, yet Native Americans can still be referred to by skin color? Sincerely, wtf?

ETA how many Native Americans are on that team? Aren't most NFL players black? Why not the Washington Blackskins? Because people would lose their sh!t that's why. But WHY???

Not to mention many people believe that the term redskin comes from not the pigment of the skin but the color of blood on the skin after a "redskin" was killed or more specifically scalped.

But, how dare the natives get offended.......

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

When Indians find the term Redskin derogatory, its because they don't know
their own history. Many tribes would paint themselves red as a gesture of peace. It was
a sign that could be seen from a considerable distance.
Bloodroot was used for the color.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Instead of the people that lived here before us who were nearly hunted to extinction? Is it that there aren't enough of them left so who cares if they're offended?

Who cares if people, cities, countries are bombed to dust?

new topics

top topics

join