It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does Christmas mean for non Christians, non-religious people?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Blessed to be working at a profession I love and treasure on Christmas. Religion has nothing to do with it...unless making ART is a religion. To me it is.....!!!

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
It means taking time to appreciate that we are already vastly wealthy because we have something worth more than consumerism - friends and family.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The gifts have all been opened, the child is napping (after waking us at 4:30) the standing prime rib roast is in the oven, a movie on the tv, a Bloody Mary is at hand, my cat on my lap, the dog napping with her new toy, the wife is on the phone with relatives. . . . .

Best
Christmas
Ever!

I hope everyone else is having just as much fun today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

I saw this and it reminded me that Christmas is about the children, family, and love.

I don't care about the religious aspect. I have no problem with religion, people believing, and people worshiping. It is just not something that I can embrace, because it does not make sense to "me".

Too each his own and live and let live, is my religion. I think these children do a good job of saying what it means to them, and it did my heart good to hear it.

edit on 25-12-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Accidentally posted before completing.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: droid56

It's a cultural holiday. I celebrate it alongside my own religion's winter time holiday. I do not see Christmas as a religious holiday but it has been geared towards Christians for a few centuries now which is nice for them and doesn't affect the rest of us celebrating.

So for my very non-Christian family, we celebrate Christmas like most western families do.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
It's about family, and joy, forming memories and traditions.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Christmas is an old tradition and part of our culture. There is a tradition of gift giving that began a long time before Christianity so it is a tradition that does not necessarily belong to Christianity. It was probably a way of helping each other get through long hard winters in northern Europe and making sure some people had enough to eat. It may have been a time of arguments and strife as house bound people got on each others nerves so they had a big party to make sure people were getting along. One thing is for sure and that is most holidays mark a particular time on the calender- the time to harvest or the time to store food or mark the half way point of winter or something. I am an atheist and I think people should celebrate xmas simply because it is a tradition and no one should take that away from you.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I've been to both the kinds of parties that were more about celebrating family, the ties that bind/ even if it isn't perfect, you leave and your car is full of @#/& or your life is whatever it is, like I had some friends who did this, celebrated with family and then celebrated pagan perspective or traditions "later.."

Its about family, there is "christmas spirit" about, its what you'd call nice but not formal, but its definately "about christmas." Sometimes its very informal, depends.

And then there's church gatherings for those that respect upholding of tradition and well everyone knows about that.

And then there's also the kind of parties where its "holidays, festivus, whatever," as someone else termed it, where I think its more about socializing/meeting people, hanging out with a general sense of I guess, "holiday cheer." None of this, of course says anything about what individual people be"LIEEEVE" I only put this in quotes because its kind of impossible...

Anyways all in good fun, all in good fun.

>Inserts paganistic chest beating fire dancing war music here. Leaves.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join