It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mpls. leader faces heat for tweets after Black Lives Matter protest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Ward 9 Council Member Alondra Cano participated in Wednesday's Black Lives Matter protest at the Mall of America. Some Minneapolis residents wrote to her through the city's email system to express opposition to her involvement in the protest.

Cano posted images of at least four residents' comments on her public Twitter page during the afternoon. The images included the residents' full names and contact information that included addresses, phone numbers or emails.

So this horrible excuse of a representative decides that sharing private information on social media of people who disagree with her is acceptable behavior. And it's not like the message were abusive towards her in any way, they simply disagreed with her actions.

Going to the MOA, closing private property and supporting illegal actions makes you unfit to be a Minneapolis City Council member. Please do not ask me for any more money...the answer is NO.

Interestingly enough this individual is actually a supporter of BLM but disagrees with the tactics being used. And now because of this he has lost trust in public officials.

"I think it puts a huge chill on our democratic society when we can't communicate with our elected officials...without creating fear that those public officials will retaliate against an individual," Dent said. "It's really broken my trust in public officials and I believe she's damaged her own cause."

The tweets with this individuals and others private information were eventually deleted by the council member. But not before the damage was done and not before screenshots were taken.

So naturally the question of legality comes in. Can a public official share private information of their constituents on social media?

Cano did not respond to requests for comment from MPR News. But she said on Twitter Wednesday that the emails were public information.

State law says that "correspondence between individuals and elected officials is private data on individuals, but may be made public by either the sender or the recipient." Posting the comments also doesn't appear to be a violation of the city's code of ethics.

The state law being referenced is the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act and the contact form for the city council even has a warning referencing the law.

“Information you provide is subject to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act. This law classifies certain information as available to the public on request.”

Now maybe I'm misunderstanding something here and I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would love to jump on an opportunity to point that out, but I'm assuming the law is referencing the body of the correspondence and not the attached private data such as e-mail address, street address, and phone numbers.

So what does ATS think of this situation? Should this be legal? Is this Ethical? Is it a form of intimidation? Or maybe it's not a big deal at all?

SOURCE
2ND SOURCE
3RD SOURCE

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

I don't have a problem with her participating in the protest. That's a personal decision that will likely have repercussions come election time. If she's comfortable risking the blow back, then so be it. I do have a problem with the release of the personal info though. Legal or not, it's not ethical at all.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

You are free to publically criticize public officials.

But those officials will use their powers to harm you if you do.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
If a government official is using tactics that inhibit, limit free expression, then that government official is in violation of the 1st Amendment.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Ironic.

She is protesting mistreatment and prejudice.

Then she turns around and does the same thing in a raging fit of panic.

And will probably protest the criticisms.

So who is "stable" now?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

And will probably protest the criticisms.

She protested the criticisms on her Twitter account.

“Not surprised that Im being targeted 4 supporting today’s #BlackLivesMatter event. Data practices requests are helpful in exposing racism,” she wrote, referring to her use of the state’s public records law to publicize the personal information of her critics.

So if you don't agree with her she will expose you as a racists while sharing your private information.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

So obey or be punished.

link   

She definitely has a persecution complex.

That means the "blame game" is the method of the day.

link   

As much as I don't like, if the costituant gave the info in their post, then shame on them for doing that. If however the Council person added that info on their own, then it is a different matter. From the sounds of it, they left their contact info. Their fault.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Her fault.

She is protesting irresponsibility.

She is supposed to protect people not put their lives in danger.

She must be mentally challenged and probably suffers from anxiety.

I guess not #alllivesmatter to her.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

It's actually a contact form on the city council's website that requests the information.

FORM

Even though the home address and phone number are optional I wouldn't think anyone would ever expect a council member to publish that private information of social media.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Blazemore2000

Easy fix. Post her and all her fellow protestors info.

Watch the hypocrisy unfold.

This is the reason why grandmothers give you the tri-flavored popcorn tins for Christmas.
edit on 25-12-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Didn't read article at first. Multiple errors. The councilwoman didn't even think of blocking her constitutes info. Pretty troubling. She didn't need to do it. Common sense would dictate you delete that info in a repost, but politicians don't have much of that. Plus just because you have to enter your name, address and email, doesn't mean you should give correct info. In the digital age, you have to aggressively protect your identity unfortunately.
edit on 25-12-2015 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Yet more proof, if you needed it, that BLM and their ilk are the Brown Shirts of the Left. If anyone has any doubt that the endgame of all this is carte blanche for blacks to get away with crime....look at the criminal records or even just the actions of the "victims" immediately prior to being shot.

Mike Brown-just robbed a store, apparently attacked a cop.

Laquan McDonald-high on PCP running down the middle of the street with a knife.

Freddy Gray-criminal record with multiple arrests for a litany of charges.

The protests(riots) in Ferguson, Baltimore and elsewhere have displayed the willingness to engage in violence that is the hallmark of groups perpetuating the myth of the war on African Americans. Do not buy into this SJW fantasy that is the war on blacks. The US probably has the highest number of ethnic Africans enjoying a first world existence in the history of humanity.

Stop protesting, start working or studying. The cops won't bother you at work or school. If you don't like cops,

"quit breaking the law a**h**e!!!"

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Interesting situation. I learned a new word today: doxxing. Sounds like some made up gibberish but it gets the point across.

Some of the posts to her were very specific and clearly worded. Her constituents did not agree with her disregarding a judges order, did not like her violating private property, and stated they would no longer support her financially.

Her responses? Well I admire her Olympic effort to cram as many logical fallacies together as humanly possible. However, as a representative of the people it was pretty disheartening. She comes across as manipulative, dishonest, and abusive.

...in other words, a run of the mill politician.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
If she used official government resources to post that information, (particularly their addresses) she should be thrown in jail for abuse of office. How would the public feel if a Police Officer posted the addresses of a particularly unruly suspect they arrested on something like Facebook with a tagline "likes to resist arrest" or "dealing drugs on the corner" There would be a complete outrage and that cop would be fired inside of 72 hours.

As I said, if she used her positions access to voter records to post this information, she needs to be impeached and punished, fined and never allowed to hold office again.

new topics

top topics

join