It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever Happened to Grown-Ups?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Where are the mature adults these days? The following post got me thinking about what's expressed in the videos below:

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Profusion

Do you see the flippancy with which people are replying to your thread? An absolutely apocalyptical type of event, one that will continue to effect us and our descendants for ages, and the replies here are flippant.

I point this out because that has been the response by most people from the beginning of the whole nuclear power industry. Once the capitalist class began funneling investment money into the industry there was no turning back. The scientists who said don't do this, it will be very dangerous, were met with pet scientists who said, oh not really, we have the safety measures in place and all will be well.

Where will you put the spent rods. What will you do with the radioactive waste? Oh, we will find something to do with it that will insure safety. And decades later, they still are working on that one.

There were people back in the 50s and 60s and 70s who fought this industry. Who made attempts to bring the catastrophic nature of the threat to public attention but the press labeled them 'alarmists' and radicals and, oh yeah, environmentalists.

But oh, most people wanted to believe in the cheap power provided by the profit making industry, and the owners lovvvved the money they were making, so year after year the nature of the risk was slowly drowned in an avalanche of other problems we were digging ourselves into.

All those reactors should never have been built. They all should have been shut down and decommissioned decades ago. Some were, but not enough. These time bombs remain a Damocles Hammer over our heads, but who cares? Not the flippant ones.
Prediction: Humanity will not evolve enough to solve the Fukushima mess

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Increasingly I see children in adult's bodies. I feel exactly the way the man in the video above does and I'm left asking the question:

Was "maturity" always just an illusion or is maturity a real thing that is simply disappearing in modern times?

I can already hear the mantras concerning why adults are increasingly immature:

1. The educational system is broken

2. Fluoride in the water, GMO food, a drugged-up society

3. The media is dumbing people down

Etc., etc., etc.

Whenever I bring up this issue people want to change the topic to why it's happening. In this thread I want to discuss something different:

Was "maturity" always just an illusion or is maturity a real thing that is simply disappearing in modern times?
edit on 24-12-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Its because parents don't raise or discipline their kids anymore.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I believe it is/ was a real thing. And, I know you said you don't want to discuss the "why", but that kind of goes hand in hand with what you ask. If it was real, why is it fading? Maybe, people are more self centered, like an immature child. Part of maturing is being aware and caring how our choices affect those around us. This is some thing that is not common in small children, and develops over time in a "normal" human being. But, the more we become focused on the self, the less we mature.

Just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The older I get, the more I believe "growing up" is simply an illusion. It's something they tell us to justify things we don't understand as children--"it's a grown up thing, you'll understand when you're older"...

...then you get older, realize you'd figured out the whole thing was bulls# when you were six, and now have to deprogram the social indoctrination you suspected was such all along, all the while wondering why no one else around you notices.

I digress, but yeah I think it's an illusion. The sociopolitical structure of a nation is really no different than that of the playground--the elites and the bullies have unfettered dominion over those willing to be controlled. The dynamics between the haves and the have-nots, the greasers and the socs, the drama kids and the jocks, all extend into what we call "adulthood".

The games never stop. The assholes just put on different costumes. I think it's always been that way, to some extent.

If that makes sense. It's Christmas Eve.

edit on 12/24/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Its been trained out of us, even as adults we are taught to think that pride rules, aggressiveness is good, pay back, spite, avarice, envy, jealousy… all good and proper.

As kids we weren't given coping skills to deal with disappointment, embarrassment, rejection and teasing by our peers. So we react with anger, revenge, spite, operating from emotion instead of reason, pride instead of humbleness, payback instead of forgiveness.

Because parents have to both earn a living in order to make ends meet, kids are left to their own devices to learn from other kids or the TV.

And whats that teaching them? To react like little kids. Without emotional development, they grow into adult hood with childlike reactions to their world.

Little kids are far more malleable and easily influenced, at the same time far less able to defend themselves against manipulation and lies.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Some people are just Idiots with nowhere to lay the blame.

It's the most jarring mental illness in history, and it's never been treated.

Instead people are ladling symptoms into the pot via MSM, sloppy parenting, lack of research and treatment and poor education.

But never forget, they're just symptoms that add to the side effects of Idiocy.

In fact, the only one that hasn't been tried and tested is medication, even with the best parents education and a lack of propoganditis from MSM, some people are still idiots.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
We are being taught that emotion is the new logic. If you feel a thing, it must be true.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I go with illusion. Illusion as in "you're older now, so you're mature". Maturity itself though is very real.

You know the expression " you're an old soul " or the like, used to describe a young in age individual, but with wisdom that makes them mature?

Some of the most "mature" people I've met are barely college grad age, whereas I meet tons of older people that you'd swear couldn't take care of themselves.

That being said, and I can only speak of my short time on earth, maturity in general certainly has become skewed. Compared to the 1950s at least

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I think/wonder if we are born with maturity or not. If not we develop it to a degree as we experience life and learn.

When in high school I used reassure myself that these people would be different/mature when they grow up. Coming into contact with then later in life I found that the majority had not changed from their basic teen persona at all.

What I read of your op however, seems only to speak to people who are willing to keep their head in the sand and let their comforts and 'things' kept their attention away from what is actually happening around them.

This is just what our government has worked toward and they have been extraordinarily successful.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I think maybe it`s just the definition of maturity that has changed.What use to be considered as immature actions are now considered as mature.Political correctness killed maturity.
I think it goes hand in hand with the whole everyone gets an award just for participating.
we wouldn`t want to hurt anyone`s feelings by lableing them as immature so we`ll just change the definition of mature so that everyone will be considered mature,and presto nobody`s feelings get hurt.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Just a thought but I think maturity was defined by what is referred to as the Greatest Generation, the generation that birthed the Baby Boom generation. So many of them are gone now, sadly, and I've personally felt the stark vacancy they left behind.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Its because parents don't raise or discipline their kids anymore.

It's not that simple. At some point in everyone's life there comes a time that you stop blaming other people for your difficulties and learn to make the most of what you have.

That doesn't mean you forget about injustice and abuse but that you take responsibility for your thoughts, words and actions and - and this is the really grown-up part of it - the consequences on others of the same.

Stop blaming others and work towards want you want in your life and the world. Don't know how to do that exactly - ASK FOR HELP - it's the grown-up way.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
The older I get, the more I believe "growing up" is simply an illusion. It's something they tell us to justify things we don't understand as children--"it's a grown up thing, you'll understand when you're older"...

...then you get older, realize you'd figured out the whole thing was bulls# when you were six, and now have to deprogram the social indoctrination you suspected was such all along, all the while wondering why no one else around you notices.

I digress, but yeah I think it's an illusion. The sociopolitical structure of a nation is really no different than that of the playground--the elites and the bullies have unfettered dominion over those willing to be controlled. The dynamics between the haves and the have-nots, the greasers and the socs, the drama kids and the jocks, all extend into what we call "adulthood".

The games never stop. The assholes just put on different costumes. I think it's always been that way, to some extent.

If that makes sense. It's Christmas Eve.

You are right - any grouping of people is much like a kindergarten or playground. And many adults treat it as such.

We need to see beyond selfish things, see and understand the consequence of our (personally and collectively) of our actions. Those traits are sorely lacking in todays USA. Remember "Greed (selfishness) is Good" mantra of the 80's?

Donald Trump is a fine example of a child masquerading as an adult. He just wants attention and to hell with the consequences - doesn't care about the effect of his words on other people the least and has no ability to see the world from another's point of view.

Like the OP's referenced (and I heard some real insanity on 'nuclear' power on right wing talk radio yesterday) article - I nearly despair. But I am fortunate, I have the pleasure of knowing and learning from well seasoned mature adults in my life and try to ensure that the young people around me have the same.

I wonder how much of a 'boy thing' is is as well. Some 'boys' never outgrown childhood insults. But then, I know plenty of women who can't take responsibility for their situation either. Sigh. Pray for Wisdom????

Better yet Listen to Wisdom. It's fairly easy to decern (bloodly spell check isn't helping) , it's not self-serving.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Its been trained out of us, even as adults we are taught to think that pride rules, aggressiveness is good, pay back, spite, avarice, envy, jealousy… all good and proper.

As kids we weren't given coping skills to deal with disappointment, embarrassment, rejection and teasing by our peers. So we react with anger, revenge, spite, operating from emotion instead of reason, pride instead of humbleness, payback instead of forgiveness.

Because parents have to both earn a living in order to make ends meet, kids are left to their own devices to learn from other kids or the TV.

And whats that teaching them? To react like little kids. Without emotional development, they grow into adult hood with childlike reactions to their world.

Little kids are far more malleable and easily influenced, at the same time far less able to defend themselves against manipulation and lies.

Nicely put. It's true that children need to be around lots of adult models of behavior throughout childhood. Left to their own devices, as they often are today, they become a fearful mob (See "Lord of the Flies") that is unable to produce anything of use.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
I think maybe it`s just the definition of maturity that has changed.What use to be considered as immature actions are now considered as mature.Political correctness killed maturity.
I think it goes hand in hand with the whole everyone gets an award just for participating.
we wouldn`t want to hurt anyone`s feelings by lableing them as immature so we`ll just change the definition of mature so that everyone will be considered mature,and presto nobody`s feelings get hurt.

I disagree mightily. A hallmark of maturity is the desire not to hurt others by word or deed, by awareness and concern about how your actions will effect others.

Learning "Don't say anything, if you have nothing good to say." isn't such a bad rule in most situations.

Saying whatever crap comes into your mind is not mature behavior.
edit on 24-12-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
You grow up when you get a slap from sociaty and a doze of reality checks about what is going on around you

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd
Raising disciplined children is not a guarantee, but if discipline doesn't start from the parents, then chances are children will never mature.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
It is interesting that we have a thread from what is at least chronologically an adult asking where the adults are.

However, if you look at it from the perspective of those who govern, which kind of person is more in their best interests:

One who is a capable, well-rounded individual who can handle life and its challenges in a mature and responsible way -or- One who mostly infantile, still thinks freedom means being allowed to do exactly what they want and when they want without thought to consequence, and is incapable of handling the resulting fallout or sometimes even connecting the inevitable to their own actions?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Ha ha, Lord of the Flies, good example. Another might be "Children of the Corn".

Another is the "Grups" episode of the original series, Star Trek.

Most Kids don't know how to behave, are self centered, because thats all they have seen so far, is themselves.

Taught to share, to care for others and not react to bullies or peer pressure.

Big life lessons.

Look at how government are acting today towards each other. Warring, thieving, punishing, what childish behavior. Maybe its always been this way, maybe its always the bullies and bull headed child adults that rise to the top and punish everyone around them.

edit on 25-12-2015 by intrptr because: additonal

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Well you will not get on too well with this then:

Matthew 18:2-4; 2And He called a child to Himself and set him before them, 3and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. 4"Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven".

I am glad we have got over all the traditional stuff that was so hard, imprisoning, bullying, etc. Life was like being in a press gang on board a ship in a storm, especially for the poor. Now there is much more sympathy and empathy in people because they know that others are beings just like them, with the same feelings and ability to feel pain, etc. In former times there seems so little empathy, sympathy or emotions in life. Look at World War 1, the way the generals behaved. For them it was like playing a game of "Campaign" or Chess as real young men went to their deaths in huge numbers. They had no empathy or sympathy, psychotically selfish:

This song says it all, how youth can challenge the blind Sadducees and Pharisees of bigotry:

""Masters Of War"

Come you masters of war
You that build all the guns
You that build the death planes
You that build all the bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks.

You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly.

Like Judas of old
You lie and deceive
A world war can be won
You want me to believe
But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the water
That runs down my drain.

You fasten all the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion'
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud.

You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins.

How much do I know
To talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
That even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do.

Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul.

And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand over your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead." (Bob Dylan)

Now you might see what Jesus meant by maintaining a child like soul through our whole life. I do and it is a genius concept for keeping all the horrid cynicism, selfishness and bigotry at bay.

What a lot of you are bemoaning is the fact that you can not lord it over your kids and each other like you used to. You can no longer have a world where you can freely bully others and impose your strict and totally unnecessary morality on others without consequences.

I am glad the kids have some protection from the adults now. Jesus was well right in all that He said. Their version of adulthood was cynical old corrupted farts imposing on others what they are least of all able to impose upon themselves.

It has been a slow process of evolving out of the darkness. I much prefer the modern West to all that I have read of the past. It is a wonderful success story of freedom for so many in so many ways. The only ones that are losing out are those losing their power over others to control them and impose the bigoted values of yesterday's dogma that the modern world has outgrown.

At least these children have been able to have gentle childhoods without all that crap being forced upon them by the Church, education, the state and the brutality of the mob.

No, you can't put Oscar Wilde in prison any more.

No, you can't keep Martin Luther King as a 2nd class citizen in a ghetto.

No, you can't just go round imposing your values on others.

No, you can't scapegoat a whole people to fit with your political and social agenda.

No, you can't bash your kids to instil your "VERSION" of discipline, saying what is good and bad.

Basically, you have all lost your power to tell another human being what they should do and what is right for them. Cry about that for a while if you want to, it will do no good. It is not coming back again. Mean while I will be rejoicing and basking in my freedom, frolicking in the prairie grass as a free child with no cage around me made by stupid people who think they know better than me how I should live my life and force it upon me.

edit on 25-12-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join