It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leadership Qualities

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Leadership requires followers.

What qualities inspire the followers?

Do you bribe them?
Threaten them?

Or do you challenge them. Work with them, encourage their own growth and development. True leaders create more leaders, not more followers.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Since you are talking about our elected representatives I feel the need to point out the ignored but obvious.
They are called representatives. Their own personal beliefs mean naught. They should be balled up and put into their back pockets and forgotten about until they finish their service to us. For example lets say Jim Representative likes steak and potatoes but the majority of his constituents want pork chops. It matters not if Jim is Jewish, he needs to make sure pork chops are available to the people that pay him to represent them! Make the subject matter whatever you please and the story should remain the same. Furthermore isn't the president supposed to be our ultimate representative?

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
humility, honesty and integrity.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Leadership in US politics is defined as a politician that will do whatever the person thinks they should do.

Real leadership is moving forward despite the idiots around them and getting the job at hand done.

Thank God we have a system of checks and balances?

Not that any of them qualify for nothing more than being thrown in the "pot of liars", but sounds to me like you would love a dictatorship? ..................Well, as long as the dictator kissed your ass and made you happy?

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

You read way too far in to that seeker.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ApparentlyStupid

You're right.

Leadership means taking responsibility. Being a "representative" simply means that the masses have taken the responsibility to have one person speak for them.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

You read way too far in to that seeker.

Real leadership is moving forward despite the "idiots" the idiots around them to get the job done

Is that how our system is designed? Sounds like a fascist dictatorship to me.

No president in our country should have that power and that is why I respect the Constitution. Not that it is currently being adhered too, but that is another thread......

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

This conversation is not limited to political leadership. I made a general statement that true leadership is doing what needs to be done and leading your people regardless of what the idiots around you may be doing.

Like I said, you read way too far in to what I posted.
edit on 24-12-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

If you are a leader and you think that the people under you are idiots, then maybe you shouldn't be in leadership.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If you are a leader and you think that the people under you are idiots, then maybe you shouldn't be in leadership.

I'm talking about outside influences to you and the people you are supposed to lead.

Is the word "other" so hard for people to comprehend?

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I'm speaking of a figurative "you" not specifically to "you".

But any leader that considers those he "leads" as idiots, doesn't deserve the position of leadership.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I agree, as long as you are not interpreting what I said to mean that I was calling the people I lead idiots.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

This conversation is not limited to political leadership. I made a general statement that true leadership is doing what needs to be done and leading your people regardless of what the idiots around you may be doing.

Like I said, you read way too far in to what I posted.

You tried to rephrase it but it still doesn't make sense to me! Keep in mind, my bible is the Constitution? You are still in my mind promoting a dictatorship? Perhaps if you are dumb enough to surround yourself with idiots, you may be correct, but would that not make you weak as a leader to begin with? If I was a leader I would want people as smart or smarter than I and had the balls to confront me when they felt I was weak or wrong?

Deja vous ? Yet history repeats itself once again?

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The only leader I would trust is one who would refuse the position; one who would be abhorrent of his own power.

Somewhat of a paradox, but it illustrates the essential quality of a "leader" in a liberal society:

The refusal to restrict the freedoms of other people.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
You learn a lot about leadership in the Army.

I believe the fundamental basis of leadership is Leading By Example.

If you can be what you expect of others, then you are not a leader.

"Do as I say, not as I do" is not leadership. It's total bull#.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Integrity and honesty are important to me. A good leader should follow their heart, even when it means going against the grain. And lastly, with exception to foreign policy, a leader should try to govern from the middle. That said, I think that the middle needs to be reestablished, as it has shifted to far to the left

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ApparentlyStupid
Since you are talking about our elected representatives I feel the need to point out the ignored but obvious.
They are called representatives. Their own personal beliefs mean naught. They should be balled up and put into their back pockets and forgotten about until they finish their service to us. For example lets say Jim Representative likes steak and potatoes but the majority of his constituents want pork chops. It matters not if Jim is Jewish, he needs to make sure pork chops are available to the people that pay him to represent them! Make the subject matter whatever you please and the story should remain the same. Furthermore isn't the president supposed to be our ultimate representative?

A great point but the subject of another thread.

Perhaps people elect you because they trust you to do the right thing because of your character and greater knowledge of specific situations. That's the other side of the coin and one reason I brought up QUALITIES of a leader. Any leader in any arena of life.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
My definition of a true leader is someone who is just the leader. Not by choice or want, they just are the best person for it. Governments will never provide you this person.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Leadership in US politics is defined as a politician that will do whatever the person thinks they should do.

Real leadership is moving forward despite the idiots around them and getting the job at hand done.

Sounds like a recipe for tyranny. "I know better than the bourgeoisie! They will take what I give them, for I am kind."

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C. S. Lewis

Leadership is something desirable for private business or the military. I actually do not want a politician leader. I want a politician servant. Not someone who wants to create a legacy, who does not see the force of government as a means to progress their world view. Instead someone who takes their cue from the people, is impartial and equitable.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
The only leader I would trust is one who would refuse the position; one who would be abhorrent of his own power.

Somewhat of a paradox, but it illustrates the essential quality of a "leader" in a liberal society:

The refusal to restrict the freedoms of other people.

That could bring up the idea of 'servant leadership' but it's another thread as well.

"Refusal to restrict the freedoms of other" almost by definition is "Refusal to protect the freedoms of others".

I don't think that type of uni-dimensional thinking would be a positive trait in a leader.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join