It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leadership Qualities

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
What do you think are the most important qualities that a good leader should possess?

During this US presidential season, the insults and threats are flying every which way. Who is competent to lead seems to be the issue.

In my opinion, there are two broad camps to this discussion with quite a bit of overlap and I'd like to hear what ATS has to say.

So for me, qualities that I think are crucial to a good and effective leader include:

Leading by example.
Open Mindedness.
Integrity (we might have to talk definitions on this one)
Willingness to listen and change.
Pragmatism/Flexiblity
Humility

There are plenty more I can think of. The definition I'm using for Integrity is remaining true to ones beliefs while maintaining an attitude of willingness to be open to new ideas and possibilities. Being true to one's own fundamental nature and beliefs while respecting and considering the possibility of better solutions and the humility to practise change when convinced of the need.

I'm really curious what is meant by the 'ranting' about leadership. Certainly there are different styles based on differing core beliefs and ideals. In particular, I don't understand the usage of 'strong' in the context of leadership.

Help me out here, please.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
That's easy for me. Honesty above all else. Kind of leaves me slim pickings in the voting booth.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Pretty much what is listed in a textbook.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Leadership in US politics is defined as a politician that will do whatever the person thinks they should do.

Real leadership is moving forward despite the idiots around them and getting the job at hand done.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

What do you think are the most important qualities that a good leader should possess?

The Christmas card I gave our Director last year said something like:
"Good leaders don't create followers, they create other leaders".

AND that's what she does...it isn't politics but...I think it fits.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Leadership in US politics is defined as a politician that will do whatever the person thinks they should do.

Real leadership is moving forward despite the idiots around them and getting the job at hand done.

Any qualities or character traits you can think of perhaps?

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Honesty and transparency, something no government ever will ever provide.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I have been the boss and I found that there are two schools of thought in the final analysis. You are either a threat based motivator or a reward based motivator.

I prefer reward. I have seen both in action and I have seen how both react when the situation becomes dire.

My counterpart was a threat monger. He honestly believed that the best employee was one who was afraid of losing his job if he failed. He would gather his reports and then tell them with a blanket statement, "We will get (whatever) done by 3:30 on Friday or none of you will have a job Monday morning."

When Friday rolled around the job was finished, but his employees hated his guts. He got the pat on the back for meeting the deadline but his employees got to keep their jobs another week.

I tell my reports we have a tough week ahead of us with a 3:30 Friday deadline. And I ask them how I can help them meet the deadline. We work together. And when its time for the pat on the back, they are at the head of the line, not me.

Well, one day we got the news that our deadline was critical. Our biggest customer had an unplanned outage and needed to be up and running asap. I talked to my guys and we banged out record numbers with minimal rejection rates.

The other guy? He threatened his guys with "get it done or else." And one by one they all came down with the flu. It was an epidemic.

My guys volunteered to help out. Guess who got the pat on the back...

In political terms, it has to be about honesty and patriotism. If you put veterans ahead of illegals and refugees, thats a win. If you would rather take a knock or two and deal with it than lie, thats a win. If you honor the Constitution above all else, thats a win. If you believe government really should be of the people, by the people, for the people, you have my vote.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

The Christmas card I gave our Director last year said something like:
"Good leaders don't create followers, they create other leaders".

AND that's what she does...it isn't politics but...I think it fits.

Well, though, politics made me start pondering the question (again). Leadership is required in all areas of life from the kindergarten to the board room, from the "Black Lives Matter" protest to a local "john Birch Society" meeting.

What are the qualities that a good leader has?

Examples - I always think of "The Band of Brothers" as being a riff on leadership in many ways.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
I have been the boss and I found that there are two schools of thought in the final analysis. You are either a threat based motivator or a reward based motivator.

Those are not 'qualities'.

Those represent two tactical ways of gaining compliance but not necessarily motivation or better yet inspiration.

Threat/Reward are ways to train a dog - not engage a human. Useful in practice, I'll agree but not what I'm looking for.

And I'll point out the 'self-centered' nature of your response which is not a character trait that I look for in a leader.
edit on 24-12-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Honesty and intelligence.

Oh, we are talking about presidential candidates, I forgot. So the answer is the best liar and the one who is the best at Ad hominum techniques.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I think you have to be confident enough in yourself, your ideals, if you will...

I think you have to be able to reach people and allow them to see the big picture.

I think you have to have the ability to help them see the points you are making.

Of course, you have to lead by example...

The Director where I work does that, I work for her assistant and they don't GIVE you answers to any situation...they challenge YOU to find the solutions...they challenge you to work for what you want...

They are admired....

Does that make sense?

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Those are not 'qualities'.

Those represent two tactical ways of gaining compliance but not necessarily motivation or better yet inspiration.

Threat/Reward are ways to train a dog - not engage a human. Useful in practice, I'll agree but not what I'm looking for.

Fair enough, but I would disagree with the idea that it is not inspirational. It is.

If I had to define that in terms of qualities, I would say then it is the kind of person who will not ask someone to do something he would not do himself. Someone who is respectful and thankful. I know I always wanted to work harder for people with those qualities as opposed to the guy who sits in his office fantasizing about a bigger office and a private bathroom.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Honor, integrity, honesty.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
An ability to bring people together to reach a compromise and get things done.

Honesty.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: introvert

Any qualities or character traits you can think of perhaps?

One of the most important is to be willing to listen to the people around you. Sometimes the people under your watch can have amazing ideas and breakthroughs that push your business or agenda forward. And you have to make sure they get credit for it.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Fair enough, but I would disagree with the idea that it is not inspirational. It is.

If I had to define that in terms of qualities, I would say then it is the kind of person who will not ask someone to do something he would not do himself. Someone who is respectful and thankful. I know I always wanted to work harder for people with those qualities as opposed to the guy who sits in his office fantasizing about a bigger office and a private bathroom.

Thank you - I also think it's vital for a leader to not ask others to do something they will not and I'd add to pitch in with the nasty bits of work from time to time.

Respectful and thankful - good ones.

But the stick/carrot thing does not do it for me, and many others. I have always found it contrived and manipulative rather then part of a natural style. But I do see how it could be a character trait if it flows from genuine appreciation and gratitude for others work and contribution to the goal.

I could see it as Humility - getting into the middle of a problem and working with (and for others) regardless of 'status' in pursue of solutions.

Now that == is inspirational.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
When people aren't sure of the right direction a leader says, follow me.

Watch Hombre with Paul Newman.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Humility.

Accountable.

Being Humble.

Optimistic.

Vigilant.

Willing to do yourself, anything you would ask of others.

Patient.

Selfless. Self-sacrificing.

Indefinitely open to other perspectives.

Imperfect, but striving to grow positively.

Loving.

Most of the other good qualities have been covered and don't need parroting.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Honesty, integrity*, being genuine, relateability, composure, and RESPONSIBILITY are all qualities a leader needs to have in spades to be effective, and that's on any level.

1. Honesty: Do you speak the truth and do you follow through on promises?
+It's been said that Grover Cleveland was the most honest president America has ever had. If he said he would do something, he followed through with it.
-We've had a string of less than honest presidents, including Obama. Hell, without even dipping into contentious topics and just grabbing low hanging fruit, I'll use the President's promise to post all bills 5 days prior to signing them into law for public review. He was in office for less than a week when he signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act into law without posting it online for any review, a mere 2 days after the House had passed it.

2. Integrity: This goes hand in hand with honesty, but in terms of the President, it also is deeply intertwined with the office staying within the confines of the law and, more importantly, the Constitution.
+Again, Grover Cleveland. He did not seek to expand presidential powers or build presidential autonomy in any way, yet he was still an extremely effective leader.
-Damn near every other president I can think of, and it has gotten worse. Obama clearly has little respect for any document that attempts to corral his authority, even when that authority is above and beyond anything legally permitted to his office.

3. Being Genuine: This one is really subjective and it probably matters more in rural America. Rural Americans don't like used car salesmen and lawyers. The more expensive the suit and manicured the nails, the more likely it is that you're covering up BS.
+Gotta say Reagan was masterful at presenting himself with a genuine ease and comforting character. In some ways, so was GW Bush. (Like I said, this is subjective and I'm sure some will feel exactly the opposite.) Reagan reminded me of my grandfather and Bush was always the type of guy who I could see watching the game with while sharing beers. Clinton had this virtue early on in his presidency as well.
-(Trying to be fair here) The list of politicians who come of as disingenuous is long. To give Obama a break, because there are cultural and value differences which can play a role, I'll take the high road and say men like John Kerry, Rick Perry, Al Gore... I don't see genuine in their eyes or their character.

4. Relateability: How well does this individual relate to YOU? (again, highly subjective and impossible to please everyone.)
+Clinton shined in this department, really. Rural and Urban America all seemed equally at ease with elements of his character and, to his credit, he was able to avoid making statements that belittled either group, which is certainly wise.
-Obama dropped the ball big time here. Rural America sees him as an enemy, pure and simple. His "cling to your God and your guns" comment cemented this relationship as a failure early in the game.

5. Composure: How does the leader handle themself under stress and pressure? Nobody wants an exciteable or wilting leaders, we want steady and measured at all times.
+Eisenhower jacked a huge homerun in this quality. He was Mr. Steadyhands in pretty much all aspects of his presidency. Serious when needed to be, but never overly dramatic.
-Jimmy Carter failed miserably at this thanks to his tendency towards hound dog, depressed mannerisms. Malaise forever, ya?

6. Responsibility: A leader takes the blame, PERIOD. This is part of the job, even if you're not the one who screwed up, if it happened under your watch you are ultimately the one who needs to step it up.
+You know, with all the criticism he received, George W Bush was never big on scapegoating. I don't recall many times when he personally shedded blame directed at him. I've often suspected that made him even more reviled among his detractors in some ways.
-Obama, please. :rolleyes: Has a single criticism he's received not been cast aside by blaming his predecessor or Congress? It's unfortunate, but this trend among politicians is absolutely the fault of an enabling partisan support crowd of voters who allow their "leaders" to pass the buck and defend the lack of personal responsibility rather than demanding they accept the responsibility of their lofty positions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join