It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to reset Win7 that didn't come with disk, recovery media option or recovery partition.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
It is not a SSD.

Data is saved elsewhere so that's not a problem.

I am worried that the HD could be going which is another reason I would like to create a proper recover disk.

The computer is ridiculously sluggish but it still runs well enough that I can operate on it. It just take a minute or two for anything to respond or open.

I have other computers running here for helping things along.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
It is not a SSD.

Data is saved elsewhere so that's not a problem.

I am worried that the HD could be going which is another reason I would like to create a proper recover disk.

The computer is ridiculously sluggish but it still runs well enough that I can operate on it. It just take a minute or two for anything to respond or open.

I have other computers running here for helping things along.

I would focus on trying to back up as much as you can now. Try the reinstall, if its still sluggish, its most likely the hard drive. I've seen about 3-4 years out of hard drives. Personally i've used Samsung and Western Digital drives, and their average life is about 4 years with constant use.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

Try using ccleaner with a user generated script called winapp2.

Click this link and save the page as a text file. Add ".ini" to the end of the filename.

If saved correctly, the file should have a gear as part of it's icon. Put this into the CCleaner directory and be amazed. I also recomend the fre portable version of wise reg cleaner. Only run it on "safe mode".

Head on over to bleeping computer, go to downloads and download every program on the right panel under "weekly downloads in windows". Run everything, then right click your hard drive, go to properties, then tools and run error checking. After that, defrag and reboot.

You should be able to tell pretty easy if your hard drive is failing or not after you do all that. It doesn't sound like it is.

edit on 24-12-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

Sorry, trying to keep up to all of the posts.

The D drive is definitely a partition on the only HD in the computer. There is no CD on this computer (it is a mini desktop about the size of a hard cover book). A sidebar to that is that I have to use a thumb drive or I also have an external USB CD drive. I have a USB to hard drive adapter too that connects to an IDE, SATA or laptop HHD (which is what the eee box uses).

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Try using ccleaner with a user generated script called winapp2.

Click this link and save the page as a text file. Add ".ini" to the end of the filename.

If saved correctly, the file should have a gear as part of it's icon. Put this into the CCleaner directory and be amazed.

Head on over to bleeping computer, go to downloads and download every program on the right panel under "weekly downloads in windows". Run everything, then right click your hard drive, go to properties, then tools and run error checking. After that, defrag and reboot.

This also is a good idea. CCleaner is awesome.

I'd also recommend in the future to use firefox / noscript if you don't already. Since I've used this set up with CCleaner I never get spyware/malware.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Sorry, trying to keep up to all of the posts.

The D drive is definitely a partition on the only HD in the computer. There is no CD on this computer (it is a mini desktop about the size of a hard cover book). A sidebar to that is that I have to use a thumb drive or I also have an external USB CD drive. I have a USB to hard drive adapter too that connects to an IDE, SATA or laptop HHD (which is what the eee box uses).

Then the D partition most likely has important OS files on it. Definitely don't delete that unless you plan to do your own install on a single partition.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Ok.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I've run CCleanner by itself with no effect. There is enough junk and crappy behavior and possible malicious items on this computer that I just want to format it. I have had to run a lot of scientific equipment/software on this computer. A lot of it comes from China and I get some weird installs happening, some of it sets off antivirus and some does not. The problem with spyware like that is that it is targeted low volume stuff that rarely gets defined. Time to start fresh.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
So start with F9 and if that doesn't work then try downloading the ISO files from MS?

Again, is this a valid MS site that will provide the ISO files?
www.microsoft.com...

Thanks again for everybody's advice! Anything else you could add is really appreciated.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

There must be an option to create a recovery disk. Check the control panel and switch it to classic mode if you haven't already.

Does this link help you?

www.manualslib.com...

DO NOT delete ANY partition until you either take an image of your hard drive or create a recovery disk.

Thanks for the link. Makes sense.
edit on 24-12-2015 by CraftBuilder because: I fixed the quote tag.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

So start with F9 and if that doesn't work then try downloading the ISO files from MS?

Again, is this a valid MS site that will provide the ISO files?
www.microsoft.com...

Thanks again for everybody's advice! Anything else you could add is really appreciated.

Yes, its best to download it from microsoft. They recently in the past few years made it downloadable. Make sure you download the right iso file for win 7. ex: Home/Office/Ultimate, whichever you have just so your key will match.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Thanks, makes sense.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Just for anybody who might be using this thread in the future...

F9 does not work by default on the eee box. You will have to use F2 to go into the BIOS setup and disable one or both of boot accelerator and quick boot.

Once you initiate F9, choose F8 advanced options, then choose start windows normally, it will ask for language preference and then take you to the recovery area which also allows you to make a factory backup to USB device.

edit on 24-12-2015 by CraftBuilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Thanks everybody. Success! Computer is fast and stable again.

Cheers!
CB

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
Just download the win7 .iso files, burn them to a disk or use a boot drive.

Download a program to recover your current CD key and re-use it when you reinstall. If your computer is running too slow to do these things, perhaps use a different comp, save the files on a disk/USB drive.

only do this if you can't get the recovery partition to work.

That's the best recommendation. You can find the official ISO's on Microsoft's website.

answers.microsoft.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Hello, new poster here!

I would like to point out that the DATA partition on the computer can be freely erased and then merged with the main OS partition. This partition only exists to separate the person's files from the system's and therefor maintain the integrity of the system's data in the case of an accidental deletion for any reason since most people will not be working in that area or virus for example.

In relation to the sluggishness of the PC. I recommend upgrading the Operating System since Windows 7 is very "heavy" on computers with Intel Atom processors.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Almost all major laptop manufacturers have a completely hidden recovery partition, (as long s you havent formatted the drive before!!!)

this is cheaper then creating discs

Asus laptops- Accessing the recovery partition

Issue

I need to restore my Asus laptop to factory settings, but I don't have the recovery disks.
Is there any solution to access the hidden recovery partition?

Solution

To access the hidden recovery partition of your Asus laptop:

At startup, press the F9 key.
Select the "Windows Setup (EMS enabled)
From there you can select the partition of your choice.

Peace!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join