It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The love of money is the root of a lot of good...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

1 Timothy 6:10
“For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.”

King James Version (KJV)

I've worked in both the private and public sectors. I've got significant experience in both. Here's my main conclusion...

The love of money is the root of a lot of good.

Why? The motive for profit keeps people honest (generally speaking), it provides lots of motivation for innovation, and it makes people more quality and customer-service focused, generally speaking.

When you take the profit motive away (in the public sector for instance), that is when the difference is really apparent. Why care about quality when your job security and your benefits are not linked to quality? Why care about innovation when it doesn't help you? In fact, making things more efficient can actually hurt you by giving you less opportunities for overtime. I don't think anyone would deny that's usually how it works in the public sector.

I have an explanation for why that is. When your day to day existence is predicated on doing a good job, you're going to try harder to do a good job than you would have otherwise.

If you want to get rich and that requires innovation, you're probably going to innovate.

If you just want a stable job without much stress, I think we all know where that goes...

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   
As much as I disagree with the bible, I would say it's pretty darn evident just how destructive the concept of money really is.

This, of course, does not mean that money is only used for malicious and evil purposes; it's pretty clear that in some of the cases you pointed out, money and the drive for more of it can have advantageous traits as well.

However, it would be both ignorant and irrational to claim that the majority of it the drive is for 'good' rather than simply for self progression without any thought of anyone else.

We are a slave to money, in general. To say otherwise would be quite inaccurate

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

if your only motivation is profit you probably end up in unethical conduct or being ruthless and greedy and stingy

it is the purpose and intention not your love for cash that's the key factor and motivator here..

your op doesn't say anything different to my point I read the context it's just the statement that someone like me will probably pick on (technicalities)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I'd rather do a job that paid very little that I loved than one I hated that paid a lot, but whatever makes you happy I guess

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

well are you happy with your job now?? If so then SWELL!! You are still doing good with your money because it motivates you to work and take care of your loved ones and maintain a comfortable and enjoyable existence.

I agree with you OP 100%

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I agree with some of your points but sometimes this arbitrary system (arbitrary meaning - not planned or chosen for a particular reason), which is a bunch of biological entities trying to gather as much digits as they can into their bankroll, does not always result in the health and well being of the whole living system.

A good system should result in the well being of the whole.
edit on 24-12-2015 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Money is the reason many people grow up without practicle common sense, skills and abilities. If our lives were based on what we can DO, rather than what we can AFFORD, then those with genuine talents would be the rich while those who work so hard at accumulating financial wealth are the needy.

I met a man who is a millionaire about two weeks ago. He asked me if I could wire his hi-fi amplifier from a UK plug to a European plug. I was amused. All the money he ever needed, but without a world where he can throw it to get what he wants kinda put things in perspective. He understood the scenario and because I'm such a nice chap I did the 5 minute job for him with the condition that he watched, learned, and appreciated the philosophy of what was happening.

Money also buys a lot of ignorance. Not good.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Agreed. We don't need money to keep us honest. Just look at the track record of those who are in control of it. They are the epitomy of trustworthiness , honesty , and good will ( HEAVY Sarcasm). NOT!!
Money keeps the poor, slaves to the low wages global corporations pay them. EVERYTHING we do involves money. IT's bad , the FEDERAL RESERVE is bad , the elite agenda is bad , and I've seen nothing good come from immeasurable amounts of money 1 percent of the people have , it changes people. They are an affront to humanity. Narcissistic , and tyrannical. Pushing their philosophies , and implementing them via the tax free trusts and foundations they control.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

My buddy works for the civil service, and I do not want to go into which department or what role he fills. Let us just say that he is one of only a relative handful of people who has the training and knowledge to do wheat he does.

He was not always in such a position. He worked his way up, put up with getting paid little, and being overworked to boot, carried an entire department for years while sporting a severe spinal injury, and being mangled by pain medication. Despite his ailment, he was clearing backlogs, not for himself, but for most of the rest of the team he was working with. When he had inevitable time off to get surgery on his injury, he had to go back into work periodically, and in a few hours, would do weeks and weeks of work. This work consisted of his own backlog from his absence (roughly ten percent), and the work which had simply not been done by the rest of the team, despite them having been there the entire time, being able bodied and sporting no injuries of their own.

To be clear, he had a significant portion of a year off to heal, and was none the less the most productive member of his team by a margin which would have to be overlaid onto the Grand Canyon in order to properly display it, and was making innovative changes to the way the team actually operated, and the systems they were running. When he left the team to move up to his current situation, he had created efficiency where there had been chaos, and although the team were still a totally useless bunch of cretins, they had systems which made their jobs much easier, reducing the excuses they were able to make for their terrible performance, thus forcing them to do an at least passable job.

Having made an entire department look like total morons for years, he was finally offered an opportunity to shift gears to a job with better benefits, and most importantly, a job which would challenge his mind and force him to improve himself. No longer was he cake walking everything, but finding genuine opportunities to learn, and expand his knowledge of the technical things which are crucial to his work. He has found himself in a position which demands innovation, smarts, knowledge and wisdom, and most importantly is ENJOYING his work.

He could have gotten a job anywhere else and been paid more, but the challenges of this work he does fire his imagination and fulfil his need for stimulation in the work place. He is not in it for the money, although he gets more of it than he used to. He is in it for the work itself. He is lucky that the work, although not as high paying as other jobs of its sort in the world, does in fact pay him enough to live on, and he will shortly be moving to his first owned property with his lady and their many cats.

Money is not the root of anything good. It is a means to various ends, and yet many see money as being the ends themselves, and that is not healthy.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

I'm sure some people who have a lot of money do some good, but unfortunately, most do not. A clear example are the number of billionaires and multi-millionaires who own businesses that became successful on the backs of people who are struggling just to pay their bills and the necessities of life. If they truly appreciated their employees for helping them gain success, they would find it in their heart to give back.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
You know what keeps people honest?

Justice. Real justice, not the theater we see in our courtrooms.

Nothing puts the fear of God into people like the imminent possibility of meeting Him.

That's the justice the bankers deserve.

And we deserve a lot of it ourselves for allowing it to happen.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

1 Timothy 6:10
“For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.”

King James Version (KJV)

I've worked in both the private and public sectors. I've got significant experience in both. Here's my main conclusion...

Why? The motive for profit keeps people honest (generally speaking), it provides lots of motivation for innovation, and it makes people more quality and customer-service focused, generally speaking.

When you take the profit motive away (in the public sector for instance), that is when the difference is really apparent. Why care about quality when your job security and your benefits are not linked to quality? Why care about innovation when it doesn't help you? In fact, making things more efficient can actually hurt you by giving you less opportunities for overtime. I don't think anyone would deny that's usually how it works in the public sector.

I have an explanation for why that is. When your day to day existence is predicated on doing a good job, you're going to try harder to do a good job than you would have otherwise.

If you want to get rich and that requires innovation, you're probably going to innovate.

If you just want a stable job without much stress, I think we all know where that goes...

Good points on both sides of this.

A couple points not covered, first, any alternative 'systems' out there that aren't also subject to similar traps?

Good acts and bad come from the moral fiber of the individual. The money gives more opportunity to indulge in 'good' or 'bad' actions-usually judged by others as to which is which- therefore money isn't the source of 'good or bad', the individual is. Whether they have money or not.

Simply put, money is the source of nothing. A vehicle, a tool, nothing more. It allows for freedom, freedom to choose a course of action.

It always comes back to the individual, methinks.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Snap and I do

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I find it really sad that folk need money to motivate them to do a good job and innovate. It wasn't always this way but our society of greed has cultured this attitude.

There was a time when people would work for the good of the community. Some say intensive agriculture and the urban revolution was a big turning point. Food was produced in surplus, stored and people were appointed to guard and distribute it and gained high status. This also freed up hands from agriculture to pursue other 'livelihoods'. From this stemmed class division and slavery.

My heart is heavy each time I am told that capitalism is the only reason an amazing new medical advancement has been made. How sad to think that without the motivation of profit, people no longer seem to want to help other people.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
You know what keeps people honest?

Justice. Real justice, not the theater we see in our courtrooms.

Nothing puts the fear of God into people like the imminent possibility of meeting Him.

That's the justice the bankers deserve.

And we deserve a lot of it ourselves for allowing it to happen.

Justice and honesty have little to do with god and your statement leaves a lot to be desired imo. Justice comes after the event and honesty is a matter of perspective.

FEAR is the one thing that keeps people on the straight and narrow. FEAR of being caught and not doing the right thing. The bankers you speak of have little fear because they have the protection of their power and influence.

It's a shame people read the word 'bankers' and knee-jerk a response based on hate. Who gives them this power?....those who (ignorantly) give and trust their money with them and borrow what they offer. Who's really to blame if their power is fed on a daily basis by sheeple? What bankers deserve is to have the source of their power taken away, and only the masses can do that.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

Why? The motive for profit keeps people honest

Are you 6 years old and been lied to?
Just land here?
After reading this nonsense, the rest of your post just faded into similar babble!
The philosophy of greed and selfishness works for you only because you are looking in the mirror!

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Not sure but, it seems as tho your post meant to refute this truth.

It doesn't.

edit on Rpm122415v55201500000037 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Soooo, you think love of money is good because it motivates people? That's circular reasoning... Isn't that what love of money is in the first place...a motivator?

I, too, have worked in the public and private sector, and I could write out a parallel essay arguing that the love of money is still the root of all dishonest evil. And Facebook, too.
edit on 020152015k23112America/Chicagotham by Look2theSacredHeart because: construction

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart
Soooo, you think love of money is good because it motivates people? That's circular reasoning... Isn't that what love of money is in the first place...a motivator?

I have to side with economists on this issue. This is one point that they have right IMHO.

Generally, economists have defined four types of functions of money which are as follows:

(i) Medium of exchange

(ii) Measurement of value;

(iii) Standard of deferred payments

(iv) Store of value.

These four functions of money have been summed up in a couplet which says: Money is a matter of functions four, a medium, a measure, a standard and a store.
www.preservearticles.com...

"Motivator" is not in the top four functions of money. I've never seen that as part of economics theory. And, I see no reason to add it.

Why do you? What's your reasoning?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

In the public sector, with states facing budget short falls and budget crises -- job security isn't a "thing" like it once was. Many states now no longer offer pensions or anything more than your normal 401k, and "average" health insurance like any private sector jobs. The only public sector jobs that still seem to hold true to any kind of stereotypes are the federal jobs.

You get what you pay for, and if the pay/benefits stink you're going to get crappy management...and then it all rolls down hill. Crappy management = bad working environment and scares off decent employees.

If you've had a bad time at the DMV, wonder next time what their boss and their boss's boss might be like. Generally you'd be outraged at how incompetent and uncaring the management is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join