It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia sees interests 'coincide' with Taliban on fighting IS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Russia is exchanging information with the Taliban and sees shared interest with the insurgents when it comes to counteracting the spread of the Islamic State group, a senior Russian diplomat said Wednesday.

"Taliban interests objectively coincide with ours," Zamir Kabulov, head of the department at the Russian foreign ministry responsible for Afghanistan who is also a Kremlin special representative in the country, told Interfax news agency.

"I have said before that we have communication channels with the Taliban to exchange information," he said.

"Both the Taliban of Afghanistan and the Taliban of Pakistan have said that they don't recognise (IS leader Abu Bakr) Al-Baghdadi as a caliph, that they don't recognise ISIL," he said, using an acronym for the Islamic State group.

"That is very important," added Kabulov, an Afghanistan expert who held negotiations with Taliban leader Mullah Omar in the mid-1990s, when the group seized a Russian transport plane and held seven Russians hostage for a year in the Kandahar airport.

Russia considers the Taliban a terrorist group and it is banned in the country, along with the Islamic State group.

Ever since Russia entered the game they continue to make my head spin. It's so ironic that they're now working with the Taliban but you know, different times for Russia since the Soviet days. Shows ya how different our foreign policy is that they'll work with terrorists to fight terrorists. Also ironic, IS has gotten a lot of military hardware from the US, so there's that!

I just hope Russia knows what they're getting into working with the Taliban but I do support the demise of IS and I love the idea of these terrorists fighting each others, I love it.

Last year IS said they will dethrone Putin for supporting Syria, i wonder how they're doing with that.
edit on 24-12-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'm surprised it hasn't been made legal to form a militia and deploy against Isis, icehole, whatever... I know a bunch of vets my age in their late 20s early 30s that would like to show them what it looks like when people fight back. I wonder what kind of fathers these people are, "while I was out killing people because I believe in one of the bearded men and someone told me we had to start armegeddon I decided to jack hammer a statue and murder people to create a better world for you child" lol those Isis guys have to be getting paid good lololol

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
What!? Bastards better not even think about helping the Taliban retake our acquisition! I will not tolerate if they take away my Afghan Star Season

I actually enjoy some of the musical talent on this show. I put it on at the shop sometimes.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Well for starters the Taliban are not terrorists. Until we said otherwise, they were the ruthless leaders of that country. Terrorism is an ideology, these guys want their country back. Quite the difference.

So, on another point, interesting that Russia admits to providing intelligence to the Taliban. I wonder if that coincided with the recent attack on U.S. Military personnel.

So every ME nation we attempt to topple, Russia seems to be backing up. How are we not at war with Russia?
edit on 24-12-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

The Taliban were only slightly less #ty, and there would be no more Afghan Star Season with them in power. Look at that womans beautiful hair? Listen to her sing with that voice... the Taliban want to take that away from her, to demean her and make her as property that must be hidden away from the world. We cannot allow that. It may as well be Saudi Arabia or Bahrain.

Alright Russia! You want your WW3 you got it!!!!! SIGN ME UP!
edit on 24-12-2015 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I saw a video of the Talib an shooting a women on her knees in the head with a AK47 for alleged adultery.They held these executions in football stadiums for crowd amusement.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
a reply to: Rosinitiate

The Taliban were only slightly less #ty, and there would be no more Afghan Star Season with them in power. Look at that womans beautiful hair? Listen to her sing with that voice... the Taliban want to take that away from her, to demean her and make her as property that must be hidden away from the world. We cannot allow that. It may as well be Saudi Arabia or Bahrain.

# you Russia! You want your WW3 you got it!!!!! SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, I wouldn't know. The invasion of Afghanistan and toppling of the Taliban marks the entrance of my interests into world events. Prior to that I'm quite certain nothing existed outside rave clubs.
Because of this, I have to take with a grain of salt the behaviors of the Taliban "government". We also have to use the term government losely as most regions were self governed. I do know the U.S. Wasn't happy about them not allowing a pipeline to be made which can easily translate to brutal, ruthless killer government in western media.

As for Russia. Bah, unless we try to nuke each other what's the point. They may be crazy but stupid would be putting boots to ground on US soil. Good #ing luck with that.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

I do know the U.S. Wasn't happy about them not allowing a pipeline to be made which can easily translate to brutal, ruthless killer government in western media.

uhh, umm hey you know, if we can benefit too from helping these people enjoy persona liberty, isnt that a plus
aha I think that should read in reverse actually, anyone got a mirror???

What if we and Russia signed something to agree to not use nukes and just duke it out on land, sea, and air eh?? I will take land or sea, keep me out of the air unless its a helicopter though. Will I see you on the battlefield too?? You know they will have to conscript us in the event this happens. Im ok with it. Sometimes you just end up living in a time where that happens.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

I do know the U.S. Wasn't happy about them not allowing a pipeline to be made which can easily translate to brutal, ruthless killer government in western media.

uhh, umm hey you know, if we can benefit too from helping these people enjoy persona liberty, isnt that a plus
aha I think that should read in reverse actually, anyone got a mirror???

What if we and Russia signed something to agree to not use nukes and just duke it out on land, sea, and air eh?? I will take land or sea, keep me out of the air unless its a helicopter though. Will I see you on the battlefield too?? You know they will have to conscript us in the event this happens. Im ok with it. Sometimes you just end up living in a time where that happens.

No, I will be entrenched and to them I say "come and get me"

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

Muslim female popstars are sooo much more interesting to watch when they are NOT wearing Burquas

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

This latest MOA piece is about Afghanistan .Like the confusion in the ME is hard to unravel so too is this story .Our biggest problem has been not factoring who the people in the vids doing the killing might really be ... anyhow I wanted to drop the link off for viewing .

The war in Afghanistan was lost shortly after the Taliban were driven out. Afghanistan was ready to be left alone again to find its own way towards a new balance. Instead the U.S. decided to occupy the place and to hunt down, torture and kill any random "Taliban". Western money fueled an orgy of graft and corruption. With support from within an alienated population the real Taliban came back. Like some 20 years ago, they are wining the war against the occupiers and their proxies and there is nothing the "west" can do about it.

Meanwhile al- Qaeda has multiplied outside of Afghanistan. The theory that such a terror organization needs a secure retreat is wrong. If tomorrow Afghanistan were secured and free of any strife al-Qaeda an similar groups would still be able to exist and flourish there or elsewhere.
www.moonofalabama.org...

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Well for starters the Taliban are not terrorists. Until we said otherwise, they were the ruthless leaders of that country. Terrorism is an ideology, these guys want their country back. Quite the difference.

Unfortunately for the people of Afghanistan, the Taliban are often outsiders e.g. from Pakistan. They are also impose and force a particularly nasty brand of rule that some may liken to terrorism. Also, the Taliban have killed more Afghan civilians than NATO ever did.

They never led Afghanistan.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   
When the US does this they are working with terrorists. Will the same members condemn Russia?

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I already did.... sooo ... NEXT!

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
When the US does this they are working with terrorists. Will the same members condemn Russia?

The main thing here is what is the Taliban's goal? Are they trying to overthrow Assad and form and Islamic state? Are they just there to fight ISIS? I didn't know that they were even in Syria. But everyone else is, so I guess why not them too.

We need more information - the Taliban were not the terrorists in Afghanistan, Al Qaeda was. They could be the rough equivalent of say the FSA whom America supports. If there are clear expectations set out i.e. The Taliban only fights ISIS, does not commit crimes against minorities like the Christians etc and sticks to these conditions then they get to sit down with the other 'good' opposition groups and the Assad govt when this is over to discuss reforms.

If they go rogue like the group the US armed that went on to form ISIS, then the blame will lay fairly and squarely on Russia like it does America for creating ISIS.

edit on 25-12-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I would love to see western puppet leaders come out and admit they are sharing information with ISIS. Difference here is that Russia did not steal trillions of dollars from their own people to "fight" the taliban for over a decade. Russia is working with the Taliban and they explained why. Done. Thanks for coming out.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

I would love to see western puppet leaders come out and admit they are sharing information with ISIS.

Do you mean things like NATO ally Turkey doing this?

But yeah Russia bad, America good lol

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
news.yahoo.com...

Russia is exchanging information with the Taliban and sees shared interest with the insurgents when it comes to counteracting the spread of the Islamic State group, a senior Russian diplomat said Wednesday.

"Taliban interests objectively coincide with ours," Zamir Kabulov, head of the department at the Russian foreign ministry responsible for Afghanistan who is also a Kremlin special representative in the country, told Interfax news agency.

"I have said before that we have communication channels with the Taliban to exchange information," he said.

"Both the Taliban of Afghanistan and the Taliban of Pakistan have said that they don't recognise (IS leader Abu Bakr) Al-Baghdadi as a caliph, that they don't recognise ISIL," he said, using an acronym for the Islamic State group.

"That is very important," added Kabulov, an Afghanistan expert who held negotiations with Taliban leader Mullah Omar in the mid-1990s, when the group seized a Russian transport plane and held seven Russians hostage for a year in the Kandahar airport.

Russia considers the Taliban a terrorist group and it is banned in the country, along with the Islamic State group.

Ever since Russia entered the game they continue to make my head spin. It's so ironic that they're now working with the Taliban but you know, different times for Russia since the Soviet days. Shows ya how different our foreign policy is that they'll work with terrorists to fight terrorists. Also ironic, IS has gotten a lot of military hardware from the US, so there's that!

I just hope Russia knows what they're getting into working with the Taliban but I do support the demise of IS and I love the idea of these terrorists fighting each others, I love it.

Last year IS said they will dethrone Putin for supporting Syria, i wonder how they're doing with that.

How are the Taliban terrorists? Even the US government doesn't consider them to be a terrorist group.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OhOkYeah

I like my ABC article better because it says I'm right and that your ABC article is wrong.

White House: Yes, The Taliban Is a Terrorist Organization

But Tuesday White House National Security Council spokesperson Caitlin Hayden noted that the Taliban was added to the list of Specially Designated Global Terrorists (SDGT) by executive order in July 2002, even if it is not listed as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) by the State Department. Either designation triggers asset freezes, according to the State Department, though they can differ on other restrictions imposed on the target organization. The Treasury Department told ABC News the Taliban is still on their SDGT list.'

And your ABC link also refers to the quote above.

On one hand, the Afghan Taliban are not on the State Department’s list of Foreign Terrorist Organizations (the Pakistan Taliban is on that last). On the other hand, the Taliban is on the Treasury Department’s list of Specially Designated Global Terrorists, a classification that allows their assets to be frozen.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
If members of the Taliban want to run a secular government and are not going force the women back into de-facto non relevance as far rights go, then they can disband from the Taliban, and negotiate an amnesty/probation reintegration into the civics and governance/representation of the people under an existing political party or a new party or even a reform movement. As far as I am concerned, and I am certain our government shares this sentiment, the Taliban are finished having anything to do with the governance of a free and open Afghanistan, even if in name only!

If they wish to continue to exist as a paramilitary force outside of the rule of law, perhaps to fight daesh then so be it. However, they shall never be removed from our Terrorist lists when they openly subject their women and children to terror everyday by depriving them of their liberty and dignity.

new topics

top topics

join