It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 Cities With Extremely High Homeless Populations

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Twinbill
I used to live in LA and I remember there where homeless people everywhere...You'd see them pushing around their shoppiong cart(s) full of their personal items. You could see them on parts of the 101 freeway, you'd see them around Venice beach, you'd see tons of them downtown in what one could describe as a neighborhood of cardboard boxes houses mixed in with tents; this area is known as Skid Row.

Skid Row is an area of Downtown Los Angeles. As of the 2000 census, the population of the district was 17,740. Skid Row was defined in a decision in Jones v. City of Los Angeles as the area east of Main Street, south of Third Street, west of Alameda Street, and north of Seventh Street.[1] Skid Row contains one of the largest stable populations (between 3,000 and 6,000) of homeless people in the United States. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook
Your source says the population of Manila is 22.8 million. The numbers don't make any sense.

edit on 12/26/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Your source says the population of Manila is 22.8 million. The numbers don't make any sense.

Ok Phage, Wiki says that the total urban area of Manilla actually has a population of 24 mil.

The National Capital Region has a population of 11,855,975,[2][3] making it the most populous region in the Philippines, as well as the 7th most populous metropolitan area in Asia. Its total urban area, referring to its continuous urban expansion into the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, Rizal and Batangas has a population of 24,123,000,[5] making it the 3rd most populous urban area in the world.

Why wouldn't 1.2 mil homeless children make sense in a population of this size?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Because, with the previously stated information of a population of 1.6 million, it doesn't.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Because, with the previously stated information of a population of 1.6 million, it doesn't.

Fair enough, Phage. I think the Wiki stats are gonna be more reliable than the article, don't you...? The numbers make more sense now.....

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I think the answer is here. Somewhere:

The Philippines' largest city is Quezon City, which contains 2,679,450 people. It forms a part of the wider Metropolitan Manila area, which is comprised of 16 cities and has an overall population of 11,553,427 people. To make things even more complicated, the entire Greater Manila urban area spills out beyond the boundaries of Metro Manila and is reported to contain around 25 million people – a quarter of the Philippines entire population.

worldpopulationreview.com...

Confusing.
edit on 12/27/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I think the answer is here. Somewhere:

The Philippines' largest city is Quezon City, which contains 2,679,450 people. It forms a part of the wider Metropolitan Manila area, which is comprised of 16 cities and has an overall population of 11,553,427 people. To make things even more complicated, the entire Greater Manila urban area spills out beyond the boundaries of Metro Manila and is reported to contain around 25 million people – a quarter of the Philippines entire population.

worldpopulationreview.com...

Confusing.

I think that the answer is-that there isn't a clear answer; especially, as Manilla expands its borders and consumes other smaller cities/ territories.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I think that the answer is-that there isn't a clear answer

Except that there are most certainly a very great number of "street urchins."

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
One thing to keep in mind regarding what constitutes "homelessness" in comparing different cities/countries, like NYC to Mexico City, is that the bar for homeownership is much higher in developed areas like NYC, especially in cold climates, versus a city like Mexico City which has a much lower poverty level. A shack that might meet the minimum threshold of a home in Mexico won't cut it in NYC in January.

ETA: This will help explain why NYC shows a higher rate of 'homelessness' than a much poorer city like Mexico City. You can earn a decent wage and STILL not be able to afford a home/apt in NYC and consequently have to live out of a shelter.
edit on 27-12-2015 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I think that the answer is-that there isn't a clear answer

Except that there are most certainly a very great number of "street urchins."

Street Urchins.....I see where you're going with that.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Good. I guess. 'cuz I don't.

I was talking about street kids. Did I imply something else?

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Good. I guess. 'cuz I don't.

I was talking about street kids. Did I imply something else?

The name Street Urchins is a good play on the word "sea urchin" plus these kids stay on the streets waiting for something to get into or for something to fall into their lap kinda' like sea urchins which travel slowly around the ocean eating algae floating near them.

Maybe I made more out of it than what you meant.

posted on Dec, 27 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Maybe it's an age thing.
I remember the term from way back, I didn't invent it.

edit on 12/27/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join