It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I"m not at all sure I could shoot someone ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Like many have said, having an aversion to taking a life is nothing to be ashamed of.

Build "muscle memory". Practice, practice, practice. Shooting deer is a different realm than shooting a person. I would suggest a man sized silhouette for plinking in a safe place on your land. This will allow your mind to focus on targeting a human form without needing to think.

For a woman in a home invasion scenario, you have to ask yourself "is my stuff more important than a life", if it isn't than perhaps you should consider simply calling the police and exiting the house via a window rather than confronting an intruder (or simply protecting the door into your room until the police arrive).

Taking a life is not easy and leaves a stain on the psyche. Gods willing you will never have to experience it, but like others have already said "it's always better for it to be them than you".

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: horseplay

This thread has been going on for some time, and I can only imagine I am going to say nothing new.

However, if you own a gun with any thought towards self defense but are uncertain as to whether or not you could pull the trigger, you're probably best to simply leave it locked up.

I'm not saying this to be mean, or to be condescending. Rather, you simply must be prepared to pull the trigger and have confidence in your ability to do so if that is the intent of owning the weapon. The potential for harm to yourself or loved ones might outweigh any given scenario you could otherwise imagine.

I do however wonder how much of this has to do with you being a woman. I say this, due to the aspect of testosterone. For men who are coursing with it through our veins, it becomes an easy thing to do.

Hence, men are protectors.

Again, I am not looking to be condescending.

I am simply saying...you must steel your nerves and chill that certain something inside that is preventing you from the ability to positively answer the question as to whether or not you could take a life in defense of your own.

Just my $.02......not that I claim do know a damned thing.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Ummm...when seconds count...

cops. they are about 20 minutes away.

YouSir

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Take target practice, hold out your arms and pull the trigger until the threat is eliminated. Anyone trespassing on your property is taking their own life in their hands, and you have no idea what their motive is...

If you really have qualms about killing someone, I don't know what to tell you. I mean there are some pretty vile humans on this planet, that have no sympathy, no conscious compassion for another person.

It's either you or them.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Oh I forgot to add, leave the handgun choose the shotgun. The shotgun won't miss. If you want, yell out that you've got a 20 gauge shotgun, empower yourself. It's ultimately up to you, what you feel more comfortable with, but I would personally pick the shotgun for a possibly moving target.
Even if it's not a direct hit, you'll probably cause a bad enough wound to incapacitate the threat.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I finally did some research, and voila !

thanks to everyone for the responses, I really had no idea there was such a thing as tactical training.

I found a great place close to home that does ccw permits run by sheriffs and also they offer several other tactical training classes including just what I think I need.
I'm going to start with the concealed carry in a few weeks, just cause it's something I always wanted to do. Then I plan on going on with some tactical classes I think it will be a good thing for me.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: horseplay
I finally did some research, and voila !

thanks to everyone for the responses, I really had no idea there was such a thing as tactical training.

May I put in a shameless plug for IDPA, if there's a facility near you.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I see lots of good advice here, so I will just say this. I worked in the alarm industry before and I was often dispatched to scenes of devastation. I worked both in installation and service and did work in homes all the way to top secret facilities. People often got an alarm after a tragedy. It was too late. It happened to me too which is why it strikes a nerve. My wife was 6 months pregnant and she was 30 at the time. I carried at work, but this day I left my weapon where I was putting my boots on. I realized it on the way in and called her and she out it under her pillow. I wonder today why I left that on this fateful day. Anyway, I intended to come by at lunch and pick it up.

Well, at 11:00AM I was turning into my neighborhood and two police cruisers were right in front of me. It was about a half mile back into my neighborhood and was a really nice area with little crime. I followed them all the way to my house and they pulled in my driveway. I parked in the street as a result. I jumped out wondering wtf. The asked if I was dispatched there and I said no it was my home. BTW, I had an alarm system on the bench in my garage and just hadn't had the time to out it in. Big mistake! The officer said, "We got a 911 call hang-up from here."

I started running into the house with them trying to catch up knowing my wife of 10 months was inside. When I opened the front door I immediately saw the house was trashed. One hell of a fight had ensued. We found my wife unconscious in the kitchen, nude from the waist down. She was raped and hemorrhaging because the fight and they broke her neck. Not severe enough to cause permanent paralysis. The fire rescue took her to our trauma hospital and when I got there a couple of minutes later a doctor came up to me and said and I will never forget this, "We are going to try to save her life first and then the babies life." I was an MP and just out of the Army and I was losing it. BTW, my wife and daughter both lived through it all. And for those that know me, yes this was the same wife that shot me 10 years later.

Anyway, she had got up to go to the bathroom and left my .45 under her pillow. She heard our new puppy barking away in the hallway and stepped out to see what she was barking at. There two scumbags were in the hallway. The fight was on. It turned out they heard me and the police pull up and escaped out the back. If she would of had the weapon she could of defended herself. I had her trained and she had a CCW.

The thing is and I saw it over and over with other people that I dealt with is that you have to be prepared before something happens. In your case OP living alone, you need to realize this is not some fairy tale world that some anti-gunners think it is. These criminals do not care about your life at all. In fact, people that do these things are sociopaths or psychopaths and have no emotional feelings whatsoever that normal people have and therefore don't have the same care for life as you do. You have to realize that if you are in their way or the target of theirs you are going to be severely injured of murdered. That is the state of mind that you have to take when considering this. You do not know them, and you do not have time to make any decisions at all about their motives. If they have broke into your home then you must be prepared to shoot or be shot, shoot or be raped and potentially severely injured.

I would also recommend that you stay in your bedroom if it is at night and call 911, but be prepared to shoot the intruder if they come through the door. I wouldn't be sneaking around the house in the dark looking for them because if they heard you, you may get ambushed where you least expected it. I used to tell people that were carrying out in public that they better be able to fight if they were going to carry a weapon. The reason is that many of us former soldiers, police, intelligence agents, etc. know is that people who hesitate will often lose their weapon. Personally, I have taken guns from at least 5 people that pulled them on me. There is not always justification for deadly force if you understand the law, so you may have to fight without your weapon and you don't want to lose it in the process.

You as a woman, but especially in your home or car are covered by the castle doctrine (check your state self-defense laws) and are justified in using deadly force, especially from a strong male. If you would have been with me on the many scenes of violence that I responded to you probably would have no doubt about your ability to pull that trigger. It is you or them. Considering the many, many terrible things that can occur, you need to realize the nature of the beast. There are some people in the world that are destined to become victims because they can't act when the time comes. That is a personal decision, but the fact you picked up your 9mm and went looking for an intruder says to me you don't intend on becoming a victim at least if you can help it. Just keep in mind what nasty things may befall you if you don't pull that trigger. It is simple logic really and you can deal with the emotional aftermath if you live to tell about it. At the time of the incident it is not time to consider your feelings on the matter. By practicing over and over it becomes automatic to you. That is why law enforcement or military continually practices. Fear and adrenaline in a life and death situation is normal. You want training to kick in on autopilot so you are effective when need be.

About an alarm. I was shot with a 12ga. 00 mad buckshot in the neck, back of the skull and chest because my ex came into my home while I was sleeping. The click of the safety is what awoke me and had I not hit the end of the barrel I wouldn't be here. An alarm system is good for one thing, alerting you to the fact you have a problem that needs addressed. A furry burglar alarm or two is good too. If you don't have an advanced warning system, you may be caught sleeping. I spent years on a special task force and worked deep cover as well. I was always prepared then. However after decompressing over 15 years I lost my edge so to speak. I didn't need an alarm back then as I never slept where a noise wouldn't wake me up. I think it is something the body and mind compensates for under high stress and danger. Today, I could sleep through an Abrams rolling down the street, so an alarm or large dog is a necessity to give me that extra second or two warning so I am not asleep when death comes calling.

Remember, it is you or them and it will help if you think about what can happen if you don't. Train for such a scenario over and over and do it to the point where you don't need to think about it. Make it just a normal reaction to a threatening situation. Most people, if they are friends or family will know not to go into your house at night or come in without yelling who they are etc. And it is that much more less likely they would come into your bedroom unannounced. Another thing is at night, having a tactical flashlight that you can click on at the moment of truth will do two things. Blind the attackers night vision and vision of you and also let you identify the suspect. You can get tactical lights for your weapon of choice as well. Just realize that one light can blind your night vision as well and it take about 45 minutes to reacquire. Train, train, and train some more.

edit on 2/1/16 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Is there something I can do to mentally prepare for the worst case scenario? are there classes? should I play paintball? or just hope self preservation kicks in if need be?

Personally, I think paintball is an excellent way to mentally put yourself in that "kill or be killed" mindset, but in a safe way. Even though just "paint", it's likely the closest thing you can experience to actual combat, safely, and this is from friends I play with that are current and ex military, as well as current law enforcement. Don't get me wrong, I'm no closet Rambo, but I do think that this hobby has certainly helped.

Like you, I've had those moments where I've gone out, gun in hand, to ensure nobody is lurking about (we board horses, and have had incidents in neighboring areas, so have to be vigilant). I definitely have no doubts I'd be able to pull the trigger if it came to it. (and I'm shooting to kill, because even a trespasser can sue you if he lives, as ridiculous as that sounds).

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
When I was a prison guard I had to deal with attempted suicides and other unpleasant stuff like locking people into a cell and strip searches. I found that focussing on the job I had to do and not seeing the inmate as a person but as a job that had to be done helped a lot. In fact that is the only way you got through a job like that. You were woken up, you had a job to do, you do it. This is not a person who has broken in, this is a job that needs to be done. You have to dehumanize them, if you see them as a person with hopes, dreams, people that love them, you will not be able to use deadly force.

In your situation I would be running through a loop: 1 is this a real threat? 2 Are they intent on their course of action (i.e. are they coming toward me or running away)? 3: Do I have to shoot this gun now to stop the threat? And then back to 1 and so on till it is over. You need to constantly reassess the situation till they are gone or you have stopped the threat with a piece of high velocity metal. Focus only on the job at hand and not letting your team (loved ones) down.
edit on 8/1/16 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

so sorry I'm so late in getting back here....

all I can say is oh my God. thank you so much for sharing that. All of it.
I signed up for a CCW class at the end of the month, I thought I'd start there then get into tactical classes and stuff.
I have been using my alarm again. diligently.
and I'm getting in the habit of locking my backdoor when I'm home, even in the day. Which has my friends who are used to just walking in asking me wth. but they are adjusting.

I'm a believer that everything happens for a reason. perhaps that night had it's purpose. Because it has been life changing for me.

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

The alarm is something that a lot of people don't use during the day. It shocked the ladies in our neighborhood because it happened in the middle of the day. It was front page news as you can imagine. I have had encounters I could have (some argue should have) shot the perpetrator. Taking someones life is not an easy thing for normal people to do.

I went to a scene one night and this lady lived alone and I always tell the story because of how quick she thought and what she did. She heard a loud pop in the kitchen/dining area and went out of her bedroom and there stood a 6'1" well built male with a tire iron in his hand. He had used it to pop the side of the sliding door that is stationary (usually by only 2 little screws). He had to have worked with them at some point to know about them. She was alone and unarmed, but thought at that second to yell, "Ron, grab the gun a man is in the house!" The guy took off back out the door he came through. She couldn't say why she yelled that, but it probably saved her from something very ugly.

The guys that broke into my home attacking my wife, killed a woman less than 10 days later a few miles from our house. They ended up getting caught by robbery homicide, but had snatched the phone out of the wall and used the cord to strangle her like I believe they intended to do to my wife. However, she was lucky enough and put up enough of a fight to get to dial 911. We believe it was our pulling up out front that saved her life. They probably heard the cars and doors and may have looked and ran out the back. Our little chow puppy was barking away trying to warn her, We had 2 chows trained where they train police dogs after the incident. They weighed in around 55lbs., but you would be surprised what an animal in attack mode can do. Very quick and very vicious. There was a study done in a prison down here asking people convicted of burglaries what would have prevented them from entering the house, and the numbers were something like 47% if the saw yard signs and widow decals of an alarm, 55% if they knew there was an alarm, and surprisingly 93% if they heard a large breed dog barking they would not have gone in. No one wants to get hurt, by dog or gun. However, a dog is more likely to detect an intruder or one outside before you do. It is why I call them furry burglar alarms. In all my years carrying even working undercover I rarely ever needed my weapon. When you look at it over the long term you have to have it on you or chances are you won't when you need it. It is hard for some people to carry consistently all day every day. As I was told, keep it on you like your wallet. Otherwise you may lay it down and some kid could find it or someone else. Even with all my training I would catch myself almost leaving it laying next to where I was sitting or using the restroom, etc. It is a big responsibility, Another thing a good trained dog can do is buy you a few seconds of time if you need it.

Good luck to you and may you be one that never needs it!

edit on 16/1/16 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I was in the military and would not have any problem shooting a criminal that was armed and threatening my life.
i was also a federal security officer on a navy base.

I feel i am doing a public service in getting a dangerous criminal off the street before he kills some elderly old lady.

I also own a walther P38 but mine is a very rare Spreewerk with a FN frame and there were only 1500 made and many were captured by the russians.
i would not use the P38 as a defense weapon because its so rare and the cops take and do not return weapons many times.

But i have a 1911 .45 that is my main self defense weapon.

I went to a scene one night and this lady lived alone and I always tell the story because of how quick she thought and what she did. She heard a loud pop in the kitchen/dining area and went out of her bedroom and there stood a 6'1" well built male with a tire iron in his hand. He had used it to pop the side of the sliding door that is stationary

If i had been confronted by someone in my house with a weapon i would have fired without warning.
The criminal would have been carried out in a body bag.
And yes a tire iron is just as much a weapon as a gun or knife.
edit on 16-1-2016 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
So love my big dog. He always knows when folks are coming by, before they even get to the end of the drive! He knows way before we see them.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

i'm already contemplating what my next companion will be. My BC is just loyal and loveable, I don't think she could help me much. But you never know.

My other deaf dog is getting up in the years.
I grew up with a german shepherd, she was awesome. But I'm not dead set on a purebred, my next dog will no doubt find me. But it better be large with a big bark.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
One argument that some people make against shooting to defend your property is that nothing you own is worth a human life.

The problem with that argument is that "worth" is a subjective value that varies from person to person. YOU may not think your junk is worth a human life; but the stranger just might disagree.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Two books. Read "The Gif of Fear" and "In the Gravest Extreme".

When I was about 18 I could hardly wait until I turned 21 and could buy a handgun. I wanted to carry, and I didn't think much about the consequences.

Read "In the gravest extreme" and REALLY struggled with the idea of shooting someone. It still terrifies me. My concept of God and right and wrong makes me not want to carry, but at the same time it's WHY I carry. You have to know you can pull the trigger. If you're a good person that's going to hurt.

One of my greatest fears is ever having to shoot someone. It's barely eclipsed by my fear of not being able to do anything to protect my loved ones (including strangers).

Read up. Can you pull the trigger? If you can't don't keep guns.

I've got a Border Collie too. You know how smart they are. They pattern things. He gives a different woof for different delivery people (he knows the FedEx truck vs. UPS guy - he likes the UPS guy). When we lived in a condo he knew EVERYONE's footsteps including delivery people. If my boy barks, I freak out. I grab my snuggle gun and pay attention. Freaking Border Collies. He knows when I talk to certain people on the phone, and he knows if they're coming over. Talk to my Mom and she's coming for a visit? Dog is standing on the couch staring out the window like a statue until he sees her car. He LOVES my Grandmother. She's in her early 90's and if my dog is around he won't leave her alone, she stands up, he insists on walking with her, like a cane. Freaking Border Collies. Love herding breeds.

I was going for something. Right. Any gun range around you? You would be surprised how accommodating and loving a local gun club can be. They'll teach you to shoot and you will make friends.

Trust that dog. Border Collies don't tell lies. They're super freaking smart.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Depends on the day. Depends on my mood.

Could I shoot someone? I don't know; have I just eaten a large meal first? Just woke up from a nap, or walked out of church? probably not.

Am I in a darkened hallway in my own home, having heard a crash followed by strange voices? And I know my family is back down the hallway behind me, cowering in fear?

Or am I waiting on a train, alone at night, and a group of young street toughs are circling around me, telling me they are about to end my life?

Like I said, depends on my mood.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join