It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I"m not at all sure I could shoot someone ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
What you will find interesting, is that, only about 1 out of 10 dogs can be attack trained, because the rest are cowards.

Fear ultimately is the Mind Killer, But Fear is a good thing, because it might just keep you alive also...Keeps you sharp as long as it doesn't take over and causes you to freeze up.

What you might consider is a motion sensing night light installation around your doors and yard and a camera that works with a smart phone AP, so it can show you whats coming and give you an edge on the situation.

Personally i would have never left the upstairs to pursue, I would have laid at floor level behind something in view of the staircase, So whoever might have crept up the stairs, you would have been in complete control of the situation, with your 20g over and under

On a side note, keep your remaining firearms you don't use? stored in a gun safe...Its one of the 1st things Thieves look for to steal.

Nobody really wants to shoot anyone, just keep in mind, Serious Criminals will rape Murder and Rob You Without Hesitation. Once they've committed to their plan, witnesses can ruin them.

Keep that in mind, and always remember, most of these Crimes happen in the daytime, so always be prepared
edit on 23-12-2015 by SPECULUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: horseplay

. I prefer to keep my 20g at the back door

You are giving an intruder a way to kill you, even if he didn't bring one of his own. That's fine during the day, but you need to take it upstairs when you go to bed. Don't hand them an advantage.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: horseplay

originally posted by: rickymouse
The majority of people cannot kill another person and those people should not be armed. .

slow down Ricky... lol. I disagree there. I"m not going to just shoot out of fear. Just the opposite, I'm afraid I couldn't shoot a person even if I know my life was in danger.
I need mental training. I want to defend myself. I want confidence.

If you pull a gun on someone breaking into your house, count on them possibly shooting you if they have a gun. If you aren't pointing a gun, chances are they won't shoot. This is why I say that if you cannot kill someone without hesitation you shouldn't pull out a gun.

It isn't fear I am talking about, it is the fact that through lifelong conditioning, some done by your own beliefs, a person cannot kill another person. Even soldiers can freeze up when they run into real life situations and can be an excellent marksman and will miss the person they are shooting at.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

You sound more than prepared. In that second...you fire. It is not something to analyse in the moment.

None of us legal carriers WANT to shoot anyone...a great point in the gun-control-ban-all-guns debate-theory nonsense.

We carry, we train, we are prepared. But like you...none of us is looking to shoot anyone...ever. But we realize the necessity these days of being prepared to if we had to to save ourselves or someone else.

The question you ask, and statement you made? It shows you feel like most of us. We don't know either...but we do know we would shoot if we had to.

For you, in your home, in that second...Im sure you could to. I think you'd be fine. And it's normal to question it and care to begin with.

You are human...and completely normal to wonder. Just never hesitate if threatened.

God Bless, and happy holidays to you!

Best MS
edit on 24-12-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

You must be half-ninja if you can do all that moving around with a dog without alerting an intruder to your presence. Impressive.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

all good advice, thank you.
after 20 years here I've never thought about a lot of things I should think about now.

for 1 thing, I don't have a phone upstairs. never did. I should get in the habit of charging my cell next to the bed instead of in the kitchen.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn

If anything, it may be an opportunity to seek training, to help you should there ever come a time that you feel at risk again.

yes, I feel like I've mastered the art of expect the unexpected out here. I always have food I can and water sources, a generator, wood heat, gas stove, etc. Being rural, the energy company isn't in much of a hurry to rush out here and cater to us. The city folk come first...

I am going to make some changes though, I have gotten pretty lax I've lived here quietly for so long.
I want to be able to protect myself without panicking or doing something stupid I will regret.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

You must be half-ninja if you can do all that moving around with a dog without alerting an intruder to your presence. Impressive.

haha. I fell down those same steps about 10 years and broke my ankle.
I'm not a morning person.

and the dog, well she was behind me at that point. sissy.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I like what you had to say in theory, but in real life it some of it could be problematic.

Keeping the phone with you is ok if you have a weapon you can aim and fire with one hand. Also remember the person who broke in is being as quiet as he can be and his eyes are probably adjusted to the dark very well. Any sound will give your location away. If you have a shotgun in one hand and a phone in the other, in order to fire you have to either take the time to put the phone down or in your pocket or drop it, any of which could be a big mistake.

Also, in terms of not alerting the criminal to your location, in my training in the military on my first s&d exercise I located a target without seeing him. He was amped up for the fight just like I was, but I already knew about this. I heard him breathing around a corner before I ever saw him. There are so many things to think about that require a lot of training, far more than the average civilian will ever experience. Take a moment right now as you sit quietly at your computer and listen to your own breathing. You are not the only one who can hear that, especially when your pulse is pounding and your adrenaline is pumping.

Chances are you will not be able to move through your house without being seen. And, the farther the aggressor has to go to reach you, the better your case for self defense is. Put yourself in a fortified position and know your surroundings. For instance, my bedroom door is relatively near to the wall on one side but is several feet away on the other. More than enough room for someone to stand to the side of the door. With that in mind, I have already decided that if the door flies open I will fire at least twice. Once at the doorway and once at the middle of the wall to the side of the door. The aggressors instinct will either be hide there when he opens the door, or, hide there if he sees me with the gun and can move fast enough. Either way is fine with me. I can always fix a hole in the drywall.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

At the time I wrote that, the only weapon I knew Horseplay had was a Walther P-38 9mm which is a very accurate heavy weapon as the old ones are totally steel framed and thus are easier to handle when shooting. The dog like most dogs are curious and will investigate strange sounds and smells in the house. They also see very well in the dark. Most dogs when confronted will back up barking at what ever they found was unusual and/or retreat to beside or behind their owner. Also remember that the perp broke in - usually by force which makes noise. I seriously doubt he/she was trained in stealth and lock picking.

Coming down the stairs is a noisy operation. I have a relatively new house and the oak stairs creak and groan even with my 30 pound grandson. Unless the person has night vision or a light is on, they can't see you and the advantage is yours - you know your house, or at least you should. The person that has broken in should not know the layout of your house unless that person has been in there before. Most people who break into a house at night have some general knowledge of the place they are breaking into, or they are crazy.

I feel that whoever breaks into a home is a fool be it night or day and I suffer fools badly.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

So here is a quick rundown of me.
I'm 53
I'm a woman
My husband died 6 years ago and I live alone on a pretty remote farm in Ohio (which I dearly love)
I have an extensive arsenal of weapons, most of which I have no clue how to use
I can shoot - like targets and starlings, deer, etc.
I have never been in the military
my favorite guns I know how to use well are a walther P38 and my over/under 20 gauge

Ok, so here goes. I have always had the attitude I can survive no matter what. yeah, right.

SO last night I woke up around 2:15am to my border collie growling. looking downstairs. She was very adamant. She was very persistent. I was very very scared.
I got the 9mm off the nightstand. I crept down the stairs in my silly nightshirt clutching my gun. I'm sure I looked quite peculiar. Not that anyone can see me....
and as I'm creeping down the stairs with my heart beating out of my chest and my body trembling I'm thinking "now what?" "what if there is someone down there? what do I do? "

"CAN I ACTUALLY PULL THE TRIGGER?"

There , I said it. I was terrified. I have no mental training for that kind of scenario whatsoever. and it got me to thinking I really should be prepared for this. Because.... you never know.

thank God there was no one there. I don't know what the dog was so upset about, maybe she had a bad doggie dream. Maybe someone was trying to get in. I don't know. I wasn't about to open the door and look outside too.

But it got my brain going. Is there something I can do to mentally prepare for the worst case scenario? are there classes? should I play paintball? or just hope self preservation kicks in if need be?

although I am armed to the teeth I'm afraid if it came down to it I would simply freeze up. starlings and deer are 1 thing. whacko people are an entirely different ballgame.

I"m just fishing for ideas on how I could/should prepare myself for a such an unlikely event. Just in case...

You seem like a nice lady. It is thoughtful of you to ask for advice but the thing about that is when you ask such a wide population of people you will get a wide population of answers.

Thus, here is my 2 cents worth: Get trained. If nothing else I write here is remembered, remember that. Call the Sheriffs office and find out what kind of training is available on how to use a firearm for self defense. As a retired military guy I have been in stressful situations (though never had to shoot anyone) that I had been trained to deal with. You would be surprised how easy it becomes and how fast answers come to you if you have had the proper training. You have heard the (over used) phrase "the training kicked in". Yes? Well it means what it implies....that your brain already has the answers and brings them out under stress because you have been properly trained.

Everyone on this forum has the answers but I suspect shooting someone is a pretty personal thing. What you value and would trade someone else's life for is probably not the same as me. Some people, myself included, would rather someone take my TV to avoid me having to take someone's life. Others....not so much. You have to get comfortable with where your limits are. Here is what I would do: 1. Never bluff. Do not advertise you have a gun and will use it if that is not true. 2. Do not go looking for trouble. If you are secure in your bedroom and there is no one else in the house you must protect lock you door, chamber a round, call 911, and sit and wait to see if you are threatened further. Let them steal your silverware....that is what insurance if for. 3. If the intruder decides to come into your bedroom, again this is a personal choice, if I were you I would put one between his/her eyes.

You might also consider an alarm system. Living alone in the country adds risk to your life. Unfortunately there are scum bags that prey on people like you and me who are older, live alone, and are not as athletic or strong as we once were. An alarm company will react quickly if there is an intrusion and let the bad guys know their day is about to get bad. Research shows that an audio voice warning is far more effective than a regular alarm so please consider that as well.

You seem like a very good person with a conscience who wants to do the right thing. Do not hazard yourself because of indecision. Training will allow you to make those decisions ahead of time and when the bad guys show up there will be no moral dilemmas to deal with, only decisive reaction that will probably save your life. Let the bad guy absorb the consequences of his bad decision and let yourself sleep soundly at night.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I'm 53
I'm a woman
My husband died 6 years ago and I live alone on a pretty remote farm in Ohio (which I dearly love)
my favorite guns I know how to use well are a walther P38 and my over/under 20 gauge

Ok, so here goes. I have always had the attitude I can survive no matter what. yeah, right.

SO last night I woke up around 2:15am to my border collie growling. looking downstairs. She was very adamant. She was very persistent. I was very very scared.
I got the 9mm off the nightstand. I crept down the stairs in my silly nightshirt clutching my gun. I'm sure I looked quite peculiar. Not that anyone can see me....
and as I'm creeping down the stairs with my heart beating out of my chest and my body trembling I'm thinking "now what?" "what if there is someone down there? what do I do? "

There , I said it. I was terrified. I have no mental training for that kind of scenario whatsoever. and it got me to thinking I really should be prepared for this. Because.... you never know.

thank God there was no one there. I don't know what the dog was so upset about, maybe she had a bad doggie dream. Maybe someone was trying to get in. I don't know. I wasn't about to open the door and look outside too.

But it got my brain going. Is there something I can do to mentally prepare for the worst case scenario? are there classes? should I play paintball? or just hope self preservation kicks in if need be?

although I am armed to the teeth I'm afraid if it came down to it I would simply freeze up. starlings and deer are 1 thing. whacko people are an entirely different ballgame.

I"m just fishing for ideas on how I could/should prepare myself for a such an unlikely event. Just in case...

You should be proud not ashamed, multiple studies show most trained soldiers purposeful fire above the enemy in battle as they can't face killing the enemy - it means you're a good caring person. Weapons training may help but doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to shoot/incapacitate or kill - just you have to ask yourself is that the life you want to go down? The choice is yous and yous alone.

Luckily very few are are natural born killers, thankfully - few have the mental strength to live with it. I'd advice asking for local police protection and any responsible gun owners you know who could do the last resort if required.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Get a dog capable of biting the %)#*$ out of an intruder. Also there are a lot of nonlethal things for self defense that you can buy. You should do a security inventory of your house and get better locks, security system etc, if necessary. Security cameras are getting very affordable as well. If you are not comfortable with a gun, dont use one. IF you have one and in that situation and hesitate, the intruder will get it away from you and most likely use it on you, so its a VERY bad idea to have guns in the house if you are uncomfortable using them. If you feel like you need to have one, either get a 38 revolver or a 12 gage pump shotgun. Both are easy to use. The 12 gauge is good because basically all you have to do is point in their direction and they will be incapacitated to say the least. If you do decide to keep them, be sure to take a firearms class and make sure you understand how to use them. Good luck to you.
edit on 25-12-2015 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: icewater

you have valid points, ice. and I like the police idea, I just want to be somewhat trained.
I don't care so much if they take my stuff - I mean it's just stuff and I'm not rich or anything.
But I"m not about to let them rape and murder me, that is my biggest fear living alone out here. That would be bad.

a reply to: openminded2011

I have 2 dogs, the border collie was my 'alert dog' but she is very timid at heart. I can't see her biting anyone. I also have a rescue mutt and although large he is now deaf as a doorknob. He would bite someone if he could see what was going on.

I have received a lot of ideas here, most good and taken to heart. I have moved my shotgun from the backdoor to the broom closet. Still close but out of sight. Sadly, I have an alarm system which I don't use much because I kept setting the damn thing off by accident. So I'm back on board with that. I plan on putting a deadbolt on the backdoor, I don't know why I never did that yet. and getting a phone for upstairs. The 9mm will remain next to the bed. most importantly, I'm looking into 'training'. I"m comfortable with my guns, just not pointing them at people if I have to.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

There are some tactical courses you can take that have scenarios---Give you some confidence in your ability. No need to feel embarrassed...its actually a good quality that you would have a problem killing someone

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

There will be no confidence at the time of a fire fight or needing to shoot someone.
There is only practice and hope.
Controlling fears of any kind mean getting used to doing so.
If you are scared of spiders hold a tarantula,scared of heights go repelling.
But when it happens practice will work best.

edit on 25-12-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: superluminal11

someone else mentioned that also.

that actually sounds like fun. well. somewhat. I"m going to try to find one around here for sure.

posted on Dec, 25 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

ARE you NUTS?
I haven't MET a soldier in combat arms who would waste his time and ammo in in such a fashion,unless he's some kind of eastern or European WOMBAT who was conscripted I can WELL assure you that is not correct,we mostly HIT what we aim to.
It's a nice thing to comfort a person but we are talking about defense here.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

You need to train with human shaped silhouette's. Train over and over again. If you have a shooting range/club that does urban shooting drills - take the class. Let them know your situation and they'll be able to assist you on overcoming your fear of pulling the trigger against another human in a house setting.

The silhouette training will get your mind set to shoot at a human. Don't focus on point shots (head/heart/whatever), but focus on actually shooting the silhouette. You want to make it automatic and reactive in shooting a human shaped target.

The US Military did something similar between the world wars and now. The ability for a soldier to actually fire at another human rocketed to over 90%.

Or...
You can also psych yourself out. Use a shotgun for your home defense weapon. Load it up so your first shot is birdshot. In your mind, tell yourself that the birdshot would unlikely kill a person (even though it will at a close range). After you fire that birdshot round, the next round of 00buckshot will be that much easier to fire.

posted on Dec, 26 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

I'm 53
I'm a woman

You should be proud not ashamed, multiple studies show most trained soldiers purposeful fire above the enemy in battle as they can't face killing the enemy
That was during WWI and parts of WWII. That issue was fixed.

- it means you're a good caring person. Weapons training may help but doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to shoot/incapacitate or kill - just you have to ask yourself is that the life you want to go down? The choice is yous and yous alone.
Proper weapons training will ensure that she pulls the trigger against anyone that intends her hard. Might be a couple of flesh wounds, but proper training will ensure that a trigger is pulled against a human.

Luckily very few are are natural born killers, thankfully - few have the mental strength to live with it. I'd advice asking for local police protection and any responsible gun owners you know who could do the last resort if required.
Now you are classifying a responsible gun owner into a ground not associated of being a 'good caring person?' From what she stated, she is a responsible gun owner. She can kill freaking Bambi if she wanted to.

Now she might not be able to training as much a police officer (Military personnel gets way less training than any LEO), but she should get to a point to put some bullets on target when she needs to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join