It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I"m not at all sure I could shoot someone ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
So here is a quick rundown of me.
I'm 53
I'm a woman
My husband died 6 years ago and I live alone on a pretty remote farm in Ohio (which I dearly love)
I have an extensive arsenal of weapons, most of which I have no clue how to use
I can shoot - like targets and starlings, deer, etc.
I have never been in the military
my favorite guns I know how to use well are a walther P38 and my over/under 20 gauge

Ok, so here goes. I have always had the attitude I can survive no matter what. yeah, right.

SO last night I woke up around 2:15am to my border collie growling. looking downstairs. She was very adamant. She was very persistent. I was very very scared.
I got the 9mm off the nightstand. I crept down the stairs in my silly nightshirt clutching my gun. I'm sure I looked quite peculiar. Not that anyone can see me....
and as I'm creeping down the stairs with my heart beating out of my chest and my body trembling I'm thinking "now what?" "what if there is someone down there? what do I do? "

"CAN I ACTUALLY PULL THE TRIGGER?"

There , I said it. I was terrified. I have no mental training for that kind of scenario whatsoever. and it got me to thinking I really should be prepared for this. Because.... you never know.

thank God there was no one there. I don't know what the dog was so upset about, maybe she had a bad doggie dream. Maybe someone was trying to get in. I don't know. I wasn't about to open the door and look outside too.

But it got my brain going. Is there something I can do to mentally prepare for the worst case scenario? are there classes? should I play paintball? or just hope self preservation kicks in if need be?

although I am armed to the teeth I'm afraid if it came down to it I would simply freeze up. starlings and deer are 1 thing. whacko people are an entirely different ballgame.

I"m just fishing for ideas on how I could/should prepare myself for a such an unlikely event. Just in case...

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Don't feel ashamed about that at all. I'd say the easiest way to know how you're going to act is to mentally prepare yourself for the worst case scenario and DECIDE how you're going to handle it way before it ever happens. This choice can be made just like choosing to stock up on extra food, starting a garden to grow your own food, or preparing a bug out bag.

I decided a long time ago that if anyone ever tried to kill me, I would try to kill them right back. THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR EVERYONE AND NO ONE CAN MAKE IT FOR YOU.

This article might be a good start for you.

SHTF Mental Preparedness for Beginners

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: horseplay

1) practice with your firearms. A lot. Being intimately familiar with your tools makes using them easier.

2) visualize a home invasion like you thought you were experiencing, and visualize it all the way through to the bitter end. Over and over and over and over.

Killing isn't easy for the vast majority of people. It's nothing to be ashamed of or sorry for. Killing is the ultimate taboo in society.

But remember: "if you cannot kill, or are unable to kill, you will always be subject to those who can."

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
The majority of people cannot kill another person and those people should not be armed. If you can justify killing the person by convincing yourself that the person is going to cripple you or kill you it is easier. I could easily kill someone breaking in by using this kind of thought train. When I shoot a deer, the deer is no threat to me and I feel more guilt killing that than killing someone who is going to harm my family. I would have a very hard time killing someone if they were not a definite threat though. Just make sure it is not your kid or relative or friend trying to check on you that you are shooting. Don't just shoot at anyone coming through the door, sometimes police will raid the wrong house too, that happened around here. If you have a gun out you will get shot if that is the case.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

sweet, thank you it's a good start. I'm always good on food and water. I garden, I can, and I have plenty of land to hunt on. I have to admit I've never done a bug out kit. I'd prefer to stay put. But if I have to go I figured I would start on my horse.... maybe I've seen too many movies.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Firsrt, call 911. You are in a remote farm, but the more warning police have in case something goes awry, the better if they have significant travel time. state your address quickly and say you think someone has broken in. You don't have to answer a long list of questions that may slow you down. Put the phone down, don't hang it up though and pick up your gun.

You can always call out 'Who's there? I have a gun'. Loudly and firmly. This would rule out the possibility of a relative, friend or prankster/partying/troublemaking kids. Prankster kids will run right back out the front door.

If you ascertain a stranger is in the house and they are not answering, you have drawn a gun, you must be prepared to shoot. You aren't a professional, so you don't shoot to startle, you don't shoot to injure, you shoot to kill.

As Shamriock6 said, you must go over this in your mind, probably starting today, so if it happens, you are ready.
edit on 23-12-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: horseplay

But it got my brain going. Is there something I can do to mentally prepare for the worst case scenario? are there classes? should I play paintball? or just hope self preservation kicks in if need be?

I'll tell you what happened to me and how I learned to overcome the adrenaline. It isn't quite as devastating as pulling the trigger on another human being, but the technique for preparing is the same. I used to have a cocker spaniel named Moses. He was a sweet dog and never harmed anyone. I would take him on walks in our neighborhood and one day we were attacked by a larger dog.

It scared me to death. My adrenaline kicked in and it was almost debilitating. I managed to get both of us away, but I knew I could not let that happen again. So I got some heavy duty Mace gel, then I began to practice the scenario in my mind: Step One: Attacker shows up suddenly. Step Two: Pull dog in on leash to my left side. Step Three: Confront attacker. Step Four: Spray the attacker.

I did this in my mind over and over and over again. I took my dog on practice runs and pretended someone was going to get us and did the drill physically over and over again. My goal was to train both my mind and my muscles. Then one day I was walking down the middle of the road and some extra cars and trucks were parked on both sides. They were workmen of some sort who were not normally there. As I walked between these blocking cars a very large dog jumped out at us "defending his territory," which he thought included the street. I did steps 1 thru 3 on autopilot, then I sprayed the hell out of the dog, who immediately disappeared.

And it was easy. Unlike the first time, I wasn't paralyzed by fear. I knew the adrenaline was going to flow through me and I worked through it by focusing my mind just the same way I had done in practice hundreds of times before.

I know the scale here is not what you are asking, but the technique of training yourself might be useful to you. Edit to add: And yes, as the poster above me said, you shoot to kill. Two to center mass, one to the head. This is no time to be philosophical and say you only want to wound your attacker.
edit on 12/23/2015 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Anyone, who hasn't done it, who isn't wondering that exact thing is a liar.

I know my mind well, and while I'm fairly sure I could, I don't know that I could.

Hopefully you and I will never find out.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

1) practice with your firearms. A lot. Being intimately familiar with your tools makes using them easier.

I do. just silly stuff, but I do play with these 2 guns a lot. The ridiculous arsenal of weapons I got from my dad, well, they are there if I need them I suppose.

[/post]

But remember: "if you cannot kill, or are unable to kill, you will always be subject to those who can."

that's what scares me.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
One of the things I tell people when they consider buying a gun is that there is more to consider than the price or how it feels in your hand. You have to make some decisions. Hard decisions. As you experienced, the time to make the decision, "Can I pull the trigger?" is not when you are in a life and death situation. That is something you need to think about ahead of time so when the times comes the only thing you have to worry about is hitting your target and making sure your line of fire is clear. You need to be confident in your skills and your commitment to protect yourself.

It is sad that in this world there are times when we must protect ourselves against those who would do us harm. Unfortunately, statistics show that most of us will experience some form of violence in our lifetime. It happens. So, those with the will to protect themselves, acquire whatever means of protection they feel most comfortable with. It sounds like you have made that part of the decision, and I agree with your choices.

You need to have a deep heart to heart talk with yourself. Really look at the situation for what it is. If there was someone who had broken in and was standing there, would you defend yourself? You can make all kinds of arguments against using deadly force. Maybe he wont really hurt me. Maybe if he sees the gun he will run away. Maybe... Maybe...

I had this talk too. I came to this conclusion: this guy didn't break in to my house because he wants to be my friend and he just couldn't wait until tomorrow. He is here for a reason only he knows. I can guess and hope all I want, but that wont save my life. Action on my part will. And my decision was made. Outside the house, its a different story with an entirely different set of circumstances and conditions. But in my home, may God help you because nothing on this earth will save you once you cross the thresh hold.

I have had my house robbed once when I wasn't home. And twice someone tried to break in when I was home. When the house was robbed the estate was very large and the house was nearly a quarter mile from the street and the property was nicely wooded. They had all day with no interruptions to do what they wanted and no chance of being seen. The two break in attempts were in a different house. I lived in a gated community for a while but moved several years ago. The house I live in how is in a very nice neighborhood. Not the kind of place you would expect to hear about things like that. But the neighborhood is changing with the times. My decision to protect myself has not changed once, nor will it.

I also have an alarm system with video on all entrances and across the side and back of the house not visible from the street. Strong lights with motion detection are not a bad idea either.

You can ask for advice and read up on the subject. But in the end, you have to be honest with yourself and make a hard decision. In my final analysis I came to the conclusion that in that single moment, when it is him or me, that I cant afford to hope that he is as concerned for my safety as I am. I had to face the fact that he is out for number one, which means I have to be also.

I am always free and willing to discuss this subject if I can help in any way. Good luck to you and be safe.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
The majority of people cannot kill another person and those people should not be armed. .

slow down Ricky... lol. I disagree there. I"m not going to just shoot out of fear. Just the opposite, I'm afraid I couldn't shoot a person even if I know my life was in danger.
I need mental training. I want to defend myself. I want confidence.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

It should scare you. Killing someone should be difficult, though in defense of home, and hearth, many would be surprised at what they're capable of.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Consider using the 20ga for home defense. If you have more experience with it, it will be more comforting to you and all you really have to do is point in a general direction for it to be effective.

As far as killing someone, no one is ever prepared to make that decision.

I'd be willing to bet that if the situation arose that you were in a situation in which it was your life or theirs, you would do it.

Hope you never have to make that call.
edit on 23-12-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

hmm. funny I didn't even think about the cops. they are about 20 minutes away.
and I didn't say a word I was so scared.
I made a lot of mistakes in hindsight....

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Practice, train know your weapon inside and out.

Always remember it's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well, there's nothing to be ashamed about. It's a perfectly natural feeling to get. The fact that you have it just means you aren't a psychopath/sociopath, or have gone through extensive training to weed you out of that natural refrain for taking another person's life.

Police have to go to a psychologist if they ever were to fire their weapon and kill someone. It is one reason why the military has always struggled to keep their troops from contracting Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

The fact that you get it simply means you are human.

As for how to overcome this, there is no easy way (well, there's one, but I'll list the more practical ways first).

The military, of any country has its own techniques that help drive fear and anxiety out of your system. I'd suggest reading up on those, and perhaps trying to apply them to some activities. I highly recommend doing them with others, as some of them could be dangerous (The old SEALS used to tie their feet together and their hands then swim in the ocean without using either their hands or their feet, for instance).

Doing more adrenaline-intensive activities such as rock climbing, skydiving, bungee jumping, cave diving, and 'hardcore' obstacle courses like Spartan Races or Tough Mudders would all be great things to experience anyways, and will help your body deal with adrenaline more easily.

Doing physical activities that are of excessive demand (like mountaineering) would additionally help.

Of course, there is no real way to prepare you for that moment, even the toughest of the tough can break down, and they most certainly do.

Now, for the easy way to prevent yourself from feeling this way: Take a large, solid instrument, or drive a motorcycle without a helmet. Find a way to damage your Prefrontal Cortex to the extend that it does not kill you, but provides enough trauma to permanently reduce the level of Serotonin and Dopamine given off, and a lack of ability to process the compounds when they are given off. Then, Voilà, instant sociopathic tendencies with a reduction (if not total lack) of empathy.

(do not actually attempt the last one)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

good advice, thank you.
I guess last night was a scenario I had briefly thought about, but never really thought it might be real.
mental practice.....
the adrenaline was a doozey.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Consider using the 20ga for home defense. If you have more experience with it, it will be more comforting to you and all you really have to do is point in a general direction for it to be effective.

As far as killing someone, no on is ever prepared to make that decision.

I'd be willing to bet that if the situation arose that you were in a situation in which it was your life or theirs, you would do it.

Hope you never have to make that call.

Excellent point. A shotgun has a habit of clearing a hallway or a stairwell pretty damn quick. The sound of that action being worked is often enough to give most two-bit jackbags second thoughts.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

edit on 12/23/2015 by Klassified because: Redundant

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Excellent point. A shotgun has a habit of clearing a hallway or a stairwell pretty damn quick. The sound of that action being worked is often enough to give most two-bit jackbags second thoughts.

Exactly. It's also important to note that, under stress, most people are more likely to miss and empty their firearm hoping to hit their target. In a small, confined space, a shotgun spreads your effectiveness to a much larger area, while a pistol limits it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join