It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Slaves to money, then you die....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:55 AM
I was thinking about a few things lately. It just seems so strange how life is. Especially and namely in north america. I don't get it. Like our lives are so freakin weird. All we do is try and get some money. But it's hard. Doesn't matter if you're self employed or trying to climb the corp ladder. So it takes years and years to accomplish. Along the way you can so easily get derailed. Often as soon as you've made it, something, or someone comes along to take what you've worked so hard for. So that leaves you out in the cold again, and you're forced to get back to chasing money again. So it's a vicious never ending cycle throughout your life. And it takes up most of your time. At very least 40 hrs a week if not more. Then next thing you know you're dead. And meanwhile you've never actually lived. You've never actually experienced anything, seen anything, done anything outside the box. More often than not because you didn't have the time, or money or both to go do anything. You get your 2 weeks vaction time a year. By that time when or if you even go on your vacation well you probably are so exhausted that you just sleep away all 2 weeks. Then it's back to work for the other 95% of the year. It's just madness. Then by the time we might try go do anything outside the box, and live out some kind of pipe dream, we're either too old, or too conditioned to not want to risk it. So often we don't even try.

Like we never get a chance to actually live. Or at least try. It's just so nuts. Like SERIOUSLY THINK ABOUT THIS.....

We're born right. From age 5 (kindergarden on) we're brainwashed and enslaved, until it's too late to try anything in our lives. It's so freakin mad. We spend our whole adult lives chasing a bit of money then we die. That's it. It's so utterly ridiculous. .... Like somedays I'll just be laying in bed. And although I want to work on some ideas and things to get ahead in life, from a shire phylosophical standpoint I tend to wonder.... like....why bother? Why are we doing any of this?? And the better question might be, how can I somehow think and act outside of this brainwashing and social conditioning to actually go live my dreams....

ohhhh... I forgot....that takes lots of money to go live out those dreams. Which I don't have. So I'm back to square one. Go to work and don't think! Like why even try. It's just nuts. Like you have just as good of a chance to win the lotto than you do to actually make enough money on your own in life to go live your dreams. Which is why I started buying the odd lotto ticket. becuase it dawned on me that my chances are just as likely to win the lotto than to somehow become self made enough that I'd have the resources to go live my dreams.

but again, even if you had the money to go live your dreams, it doesn't matter. By that time, you're so brainwashed and socially conditioned that you don't want to risk it. Your locked in socially. I'm single and yet Im fearful of leaving my friends and family to go live my dreams. So how on earth would the married person, or someone responsible for another person, ever go do anything I wonder. Plus again by the time you have money you're so risk adverse that you don't want to take any chances anymore in life.

Like I know this is just one angle on things, but it is a major theme in peoples lives, especially if you live in north america where it's like a total dog eat dog society.

What do you think????????

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:06 AM
a reply to: lavatrance

What do you think????????

I think it's a lot about one's attitude towards life.

To an extent, you are right that we spend a lot of time working. With e-mails and Blackberrys, at times it literally doesn't stop. However, how much work would one have to do to grow their own produce, make their own clothes, raise their own livestock, etc etc. Personally, I'd rather keep my day job.

I would also say that while yes, money makes a lot of things a lot easier, I can't say that it makes a person "happy" (at least not by itself). Personally, I don't have the finances to travel the world on a whim, but at the same time spending an afternoon at the park with my wife and son, or having a family bbq, or any of a number of other simple things brings me tremendous joy.

For me, I work to live. Not the other way around. Yes, we in the West are a very busy bunch, but there are still oasis's where you can LIVE live.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:08 AM
That's the meaning of, the "meaning" the elites have given your life. Completely true all you said. Best thing to do is try to beat them at their own game. Civil disobedience. Practice makes perfect. Took thousands of years for them to build up their pyramid scheme ,and unless all us bottom bricks let go they'll stay up there. Can't see enough people waking up to do that, sadly. I stopped worrying about civilization as a whole, and just focus on doing what I feel is right. It goes against the common grain, but that's exactly what I want. It filters out the sheep in my life quite nicely, and it attracts like minded individuals. That's all you really need in life, imho.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:09 AM
enjoy the ride, it eventually ends

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:14 AM
It's been that way from Roman times and it will be this way for ever. Buckle up buck-a-roo gunna be a bumpy ride for even if we crumble the pyramid we will surly rebuild it ourselves.

edit on 23-12-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:16 AM
Do you think tribes in deep Africa that have no concept of money lead more fulfilling lives than north americans?
Do they accomplish more in their spare time?
Are they more able to expand their minds to the wonders of the universe.

I think they are just more likely to be eaten by a large cat.... just my two cents

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:24 AM

It is all about balance. You have to work and earn a living. However, I think too many people get caught up in the rat race trying to be keep up with the Jones's instead of enjoying life. Take vacations. Spend time with family. Turn off the email. So no to extra work when you can. No one is on their deathbed wishing they would have responding to just one more work email.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:34 AM
money is my slave, for i have done what the bankers do and learned how to make it multiply from nothing. become the loan shark that we so much dread, and money just starts growing. low interest rates help me do that. learn to work the system because it is not going away. dreading over it depressivly will not increase quality of life. exploiting the monetary system the way it is designed to be though and that can bring quality of life up.

i like owning stuff, and believe everything and everyone has a price regardless of how high. some may see me as part of the problem. i just see it as looking out for my own with the tools the system has given us.

join them, because we surely wont be beating them individually.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:36 AM

originally posted by: eluryh22
I think it's a lot about one's attitude towards life.

Absolutely right imo.

Too many people complain about not having enough, but when one wants so much it's not surprising so many feel like they fail.

Perhaps working as hard at creating a simple life instead of filling a life full of wants which just distract from true happiness is the key.

The word 'NO' needs to come from inside a little more often and would minimise the 'NOs' from the world around. Take control, be strong, understand the true value of things and perhaps contentment can be found.

Those with kids, partners and other dependants also need to stand up and learn to say 'NO'....especially at this time of year. If everybody felt like this maybe we could rid all those shelves of plastic crap that just gets chucked out to make room for more of the same.

Sheeple eh?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:44 AM

The meaning of my life is to help lift people up, to build and create, love and support and listen to others.

Sometimes we spend our life searching for it, sometimes it reveals itself to you, sometimes it changes.

Life is a beautiful thing though. You have to stop and smell the roses and appreciate the small things, while still having bigger picture aspirations (if you wish those bigger things anyway, some people will be happy with a simple and day-to-day outlook)

That's my 2 cents

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:48 AM
a reply to: AccessDenied

well said

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:54 AM
a reply to: Bluntone22

better that than to die in a hospital anyday

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:02 PM

I think you already figured it out. What so many people struggle their whole lives for, are never happy even if living up to all these expectations, accomplishing all these goals. Whats the reward?

Take heart, you are ahead of the game, some never figure this out, going to their grave never questioning what they've been taught.

The struggle within you is the struggle placed there by the worlds systems to enmesh with it, become a part of it, become a product of this world. That ambitious, goal oriented plan goes against your spiritual grain, and rightly so.
The song you picked is wonderful, nails it.

We've all been conditioned to strive, produce, succeed, earning a lot of money and purchasing a lot of stuff is the mark of success, the meaning of life, right?

A young, Native Hawaiian was told that he was going to go to school and when he asked why, he was told so you can learn to speak english, so you can get an education, so you can get a degree, so you can get a job, so you can have a career, earn a bunch of money, buy a house, with a two car grange, and two cars…

That never made sense to him so he became a surfing guru…

When I was quite young and I figured out where dad went all day every day I said, you mean I'm going to have to go to work every day for the rest of my life? My heart sank, I wasn't cut out for it. Some people aren't. Be glad, revel in your awareness that you aren't fitting in to that scheme, thats a good thing.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:19 PM

There are undoubtedly people that are slaves to money in North America, but like anything with life we each have a choice. I would never compromise my integrity for money. In fact, most people I know use money as a tool and not as a means of control.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:29 PM
Only the body dies, YOU do not.

Research NDE's...

There is no death, only a change of worlds. ~ Chief Seattle

Earth is the true proving-grounds...

Connecting with one's purpose should be every ones goal in life.

Those that tell you we are here by accident are the ones that are still searching.

When I researched this subject once, I kept running into patterns and talk about scrolls and missions.

Below are some of the results, notice the correlation between some of them...

This life is a preparation for the next...

Fire on the Altar Compilation MP3

One of the main reasons you were placed on this planet was to be tested by God...

We all have scroll prepared by God before we were conceived in our mother’s womb. It’s important we discover what is written on it so we can walk in it and fulfil our Testimony; for it is on this that we will be judged and rewarded. At the end of this life Jesus will compare what we have done with what we should have done with our lives. We have a lifetime to discover what is on our scroll and work it out and achieve it.

Your Scroll and Testimony ~ The Testimony of Your Scroll MP3

The counterculture revolution of the 1960s began when people said, “Something is missing. Something is wrong. There must be something greater than this.” And they were right! There must be something greater than eating and drinking, working and sleeping, existing. There must be something greater than the American dream. There must be something greater than simply getting a good education so that you can find a good job and have a good family so that your kids can get a good education and find a good job and have a good family so that their kids can a get a good education . . . . Is this really it? Is this why God put us here on this earth?

God wants the best for us, for each of us. He knows what the best is for each of us, that best is already written on a scroll, if you read Psalm 139 it says that He knew you before you were even born. Already on that scroll in heaven your whole life is set out, His will for your life, and He wants to reveal it to you. He wants you to know the best. Truth

In the truest sense of the word. Why are you here? To choose love. Set your heart on a pilgrimage to be great in eternity. You are going to be there in just a moment, you are going to be there in just a moment. And what you have done in love and service is what is going to stand in that day."

Eternity - YouTube

See post here for more...

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:36 PM

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
money is my slave, for i have done what the bankers do and learned how to make it multiply from nothing.

I just now came across these two quotes that relate to this:

Once I was in Victoria, and I saw a very large house. They told me it was a bank and that the white men place their money there to be taken care of, and that by and by they got it back with interest. We are Indians and we have no such bank; but when we have plenty of money or blankets, we give them away to other chiefs and people, and by and by they return them with interest, and our hearts feel good. Our way of giving is our bank. ~ Chief Maquinna

It was our belief that the love of possessions is a weakness to be overcome. Its appeal is to the material part, and if allowed its way, it will in time disturb one's spiritual balance. Therefore, children must early learn the beauty of generosity. They are taught to give what they prize most, that they may taste the happiness of giving. ~ Ohiyesa

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:43 PM
Sorry I disagree.

I work a solid 40-60 hours a week depending on what projects I have active. Since that is salary based I dont get overtime or shift differential or anything similar. Because of that career I have financial stability which allows me to live life the way I want. This includes doing things, seeing things, buying things, going any place I want. I dont feel bad that a person who works at WalMart only gets 2 weeks of vacation a year when I have accrued substantially more nor is it my fault that because me and my peers have been driven that we have all achieved success in some way. It is just a different way to live and like anything it's not right for people that feel entitled just like living on the streets isn't right for someone who has no survival skills.

The thing for me is I dont view being successful as a negative thing or being homelesspoor as something noble. Too many people here think "omg you have a successful and stable career, you are part of the problem" or "oh look that homeless guy that hasnt showered in 5 days and doesnt know what he is going to eat tonight is so much more honorable. "

As for the "go to work and dont think " cliche of the OP there isnt a single day at my job where I can show and not think. Same with my friends, same with my co-workers. I think a lot of that depends on what you chosen career is and if you even have a career vs just a job.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:47 PM
a reply to: Murgatroid

Those are very wise words spoken by a conquered people , ..... unfortunately it does not put anything into my assets column. Its 2015, and we live in the epicenter of a predatory monetary system. I prefer to be the predator than the prey.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:49 PM

The Verve were a good band.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 01:41 PM
a reply to: Murgatroid

Or possibly,

"The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness." (Nabokov, Author).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>