It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Meat is Unethical

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Vegans can only get B12 by taking supplements, which are not natural, are they? They are man made, highly processed.

Untrue, I know vegans who have lived a life of health on works for Kashi as a health expert, never taken a supplement.

Dr Victor Herbert reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1998, Volume 48) that only 0.00000035 ounces (1 microgram) of vitamin B12 is required per day. These minimum vitamin requirements may be inadequate to explain the needs of a healthy raw food vegan, for example, who may require less B12 due to an improved gastric ability and a high ability to recycle vitamin B12. (Cooking destroys microbes and a highly sterilised, cooked vegan diet may not provide the intestines with enough good quality flora). Absorption rates of B12 are higher in healthy individuals than in unhealthy individuals. Studies, based on healthy Indian vegetarian villagers, showed that none of them exhibited symptoms of B12 deficiency, despite levels of .3-.5 micrograms of B12.

Among the many controversies surrounding vitamin B12, there is the argument that, although intrinsic factor is produced in our stomachs and that our intestines are known to produce vitamin B12, the bacteria is produced too low down in the intestines and cannot be absorbed by our bodies. This argument is sadly still hanging around, however, according to Dr Vetrano, it was disproved by research over 20 years ago and is nothing more than an obsolete scientific theory. Indeed, in a 1999 version of 'Human Anatomy and Physiology' by Marieb, it states quite clearly that we do indeed absorb vitamin B12 through our intestines.

libaware.economads.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet

I trust nature more than Humans I guess

Just be smart for both will bite you right in the @ss.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

So what are people eating for XMAS ?

Vbites celebration roast, would have preferred to make a seitan 'joint' but ran out of time! What are you having?

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy
a reply to: Xtrozero

Gmo dangerous revolve around the loss of genetic diversity.

I'm not sure how that is a bad thing, or if we haven't lost it a long time ago before GMO.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Going with Ham, one turkey for a week around Thanksgiving was enough...lol

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I know you grow your own which is great, but be careful in just buy organic since you have a higher risk for things like food poisoning due to the limited regulations.

I am not sure what you say is correct regarding Organic food being a higher risk than non organic

Some Organic food can be pretty poor ...
it really all depends on the how it is grown and the state of the soil.
Also what we think of as fresh in Supermarkets is not ...
Most is held in storage and begins to break down once out of cold storage ...

The fresher the food ... the better I think but it is just my opinion

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Son of Will
Humans traditionally got their B12 from soil and water.

I would ask you to source this but considering you made it up you are going to have a hard time finding a legitimate source.

A whole lifetime's requirement of B12 add up to a 40 milligram speck of red crystals, about one-seventh the size of an average tablet of aspirin!

Pasture raised chickens egg gives you "Each large whole egg contains 0.44 micrograms of vitamin B-12"
They move the barn for a safe warm home and they live a normal life. Eggs are waste unless a hen wants to sit which is some hens never want to do and some will do several times a year the rest are dropped and left to rot.
This one is like the one we get eggs from.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Untrue, I know vegans who have lived a life of health on works for Kashi as a health expert, never taken a supplement.

Sounds like some real miserable and angry people...hehe

edit on 24-12-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Spaghetti Bolognese.. Family traditional Recipe handed down to us from our grandparents in Abruzzi.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Enjoy

Smoked Fish n usual suspect festive veggies here

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Sounds good ... different too ...
I love traditional Italian cookery ... mostly watching it lol

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Moose backstrap and sourdough stuffed flank steak, brussels sprouts with panaceta, mashed purple taters, and homemade sourdough bread.
Wine for the adults, sparkling apple juice for the little ones.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Moose backstrap and sourdough stuffed flank steak, brussels sprouts with panaceta, mashed purple taters, and homemade sourdough bread.
Wine for the adults, sparkling apple juice for the little ones.

I'm jealous, so send me a private message of your address...lol

Oh crap I just got banned.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I think also the addition of pesticides onto plants and the Earth is not good practice
I grow organically and favour organic food ... each to their own choices

Once again I think this is organic propaganda. Here is a link to a Harvard paper on it all, and is a short read. The bottom line is what they use in GMO is actually organic pesticides found in nature that reduces the need for the really bad synthetic pesticides that is very common and very bad for us. They also do it for just a few crops such as corn and soybeans not for human consumption and cotton.

GMO

I know you grow your own which is great, but be careful in just buying organic since you will have a higher risk for things like food poisoning due to the limited regulations.

If you eat animals that eat GMO food you eat GMO food. I am sure there are both good and bad modifications but what their effects will be on us and nature long term we can not know!

It is affecting the insects thus now they need GMO insects. if they die eating the food hum. I recently read about a modified mellon I think it was that killed the caterpillar that likes it with one bite.

I believe they have been allowed to advance GMO because people are little aware but we will run out of food and water not long from now.

www.populationinstitute.org...

With global hunger on the rise again, the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has issued a sobering forecast on world food production. If global population reaches 9.1 billion by 2050, the FAO says that world food production will need to rise by 70%, and food production in the developing world will need to double.

These numbers are old Tomatoes were the first so most food you eat is now modified.

Alfalfa (first planting 2011)
Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
Sugar Beets (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)

www.nongmoproject.org...

WAXHAW, N.C. —
Experts said 60 to 70 percent of processed foods on U.S. grocery store shelves have genetically modified ingredients. Many major crops like corn and soybeans are grown using genetically engineered seeds.Jul 3, 2013

www.ers.usda.gov...

Health Concerns: There have been no studies tracking the long-term effects GMOs may have on humans. Researchers fear that the health risks may include: Exposure to allergens, antibiotic resistance, endocrine disruption, reproductive disorders and accelerated aging.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scouse100

Vbites celebration roast, would have preferred to make a seitan 'joint' but ran out of time! What are you having?

quorn turkey is very good if you are ok with eating fungi
think mushrooms.
quorn is made from mycoprotein (myco is Greek for fungi)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

If you eat animals that eat GMO food you eat GMO food. I am sure there are both good and bad modifications but what their effects will be on us and nature long term we can not know!

The study says that these natural pesticides have no affect on humans, but who knows. One thing I do know is synthetic pesticides like round-up is used extensively and we all get a good amount of that like it or not, and if we looked at two evils I'll go with the GMO.

It is affecting the insects thus now they need GMO insects. if they die eating the food hum. I recently read about a modified mellon I think it was that killed the caterpillar that likes it with one bite.

Feed you dog grapes or chocoholic... I guess we need to stop eats them now...

I believe they have been allowed to advance GMO because people are little aware but we will run out of food and water not long from now.

Agree, I'm still on the fence with GMO pesticides though pesticides in general are very important to us, and GMO organic pesticides seem like the lesser of many evils. This doesn't make all the other actually really good GMO foods bad too. Like grain that can grow with 1/3 the water needed as example.

These numbers are old Tomatoes were the first so most food you eat is now modified.

Speaking of Tomatoes were considered poisonous until the mid 1800s since they are related to the deadly nightshades and other poisonous plants, fun fact...hehe

Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)

Ever try to eat Indian corn...hehe

Health Concerns: There have been no studies tracking the long-term effects GMOs may have on humans. Researchers fear that the health risks may include: Exposure to allergens, antibiotic resistance, endocrine disruption, reproductive disorders and accelerated aging.

All concerns pulled out of a hat. One thing with all this is this would not be the first time we started eating/using something bad until it was discovered it was actually bad for us, smoking as example. In the end it will be trial and error like it has always been, and then one day we can say oops my bad, and take the GMO generic_01 stuff out of a plant as we find these cases.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scouse100

quorn turkey is very good if you are ok with eating fungi
think mushrooms.
quorn is made from mycoprotein (myco is Greek for fungi)

Yeah I don't mind Quorn, the hot and spicy burgers are really good, the mince is a bit spongey but I haven't tried the 'turkey'
We had a seitan burger when we were out the other week though and it was amazing, will deffo have to try that next year (or maybe just for a Sunday roast).

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Beef Rouladen with plenty of Bacon to enrich the gravy. The trick is a touch of horseradish mixed with the Dijon mustard and a couple of hot dill pickles minced in the mix spread on the meat. Yum

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Son of Will

You nearly had me until this....

Long before our rational brains developed, we were taught that it was OK.

If you ran around with an underdeveloped irrational brain, who did the teaching and how were you able to learn?

FAIL

Roadkill is fair game

You realize how many parasites live in roadkill...You want to start a zombie apocalypse?

FAIL

Guardians of this beautiful planet

Sounds like you bought the UN line....

www.theguardian.com...

"UN urges global move to meat and dairy-free diet"

Are you one of the elite beneficiarys, who will get to enjoy meat in secret?

FAIL

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

I totally agree with you. Being on a high horse is never the best method to convince people.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join