It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey ‘officially acknowledges’ attack on Su-24 was a planned step - Russian MoD

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
www.rt.com...

Here is the article:

"A recent statement by a Turkish official revealing detailed awareness of Russian Air Force sorties in Syria can be regarded as “official acknowledgment” that the operation to down the Su-24 was a planned step, Russia's Ministry of Defense said.

“When on November 24 the Turkish fighter jet treacherously fired a rocket at our Su-24, the Turkish General Staff was perfectly aware about when and where our two bombers would be carrying out their mission,” ministry spokesman Major General Igor Konashenkov told journalists on Wednesday.

The statement recently made by Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus in which he provides information on Russian sorties in Syria, “can be regarded as official acknowledgment by Turkey that the operation to destroy the Russian jet in Syria and kill Russian soldiers was a planned step,” he said.

I wonder what the implications may be..
edit on 23-12-2015 by tony9802 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: tony9802

Well, here we are, the end of the year. I would not be surprised in the least if the ramifications are GREAT, and action taken... It is bound to get very ugly;

there are no UN-DO'S now... the bed must be slept in....

will be interesting to follow, S&F

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

does this mean they'll be cancelling the Charlie Brown special on TV?

if not it's really of no concern [end sarcasm]

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: tony9802
www.rt.com...

Here is the article:

"A recent statement by a Turkish official revealing detailed awareness of Russian Air Force sorties in Syria can be regarded as “official acknowledgment” that the operation to down the Su-24 was a planned step, Russia's Ministry of Defense said.

“When on November 24 the Turkish fighter jet treacherously fired a rocket at our Su-24, the Turkish General Staff was perfectly aware about when and where our two bombers would be carrying out their mission,” ministry spokesman Major General Igor Konashenkov told journalists on Wednesday.

The statement recently made by Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus in which he provides information on Russian sorties in Syria, “can be regarded as official acknowledgment by Turkey that the operation to destroy the Russian jet in Syria and kill Russian soldiers was a planned step,” he said.

I wonder what the implications may be..

Turkey made it quite clear earlier in the year that if Russia kept violating its airspace they would take action - they did, what is your problem? If Turkish armed jets regularly violated Russian airspace then don't you think a similar action may have been taken by Russia? You are hardly going to find a balanced answer to that in RT though are you.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Taking a 0 tolerance approach to air space violation is probably going to require a new approach for Turkey . Imagine if you will Greece getting a S300 system from Russia and implementing the 0 tolerance policy . I think it gave Russia the go ahead to secure Syrian skies from any Turkey incursions is they want to . That doesn't sound like a bad thing as Turkey has come off as a kind of wild card with the oil and fighters . I expect Russia will be acting at the UN on the 2249 resolution as well as other moves .

Russia Plays a Winning Syria Game at the United Nations
Russian diplomacy achieved a trio of Security Council Resolutions over the last month which give Russia a decisive advantage
russia-insider.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Taking a 0 tolerance approach to air space violation is probably going to require a new approach for Turkey . Imagine if you will Greece getting a S300 system from Russia and implementing the 0 tolerance policy . I think it gave Russia the go ahead to secure Syrian skies from any Turkey incursions is they want to . That doesn't sound like a bad thing as Turkey has come off as a kind of wild card with the oil and fighters . I expect Russia will be acting at the UN on the 2249 resolution as well as other moves .

Russia Plays a Winning Syria Game at the United Nations
Russian diplomacy achieved a trio of Security Council Resolutions over the last month which give Russia a decisive advantage
russia-insider.com...

While what you say may be correct (although Turkey being a wild card and Russia not? Hmmm, ok), I'm not sure if there is the same emnity between Greece and Turkey but more to the point - Russia insider - really? How on Earth can people call the western 'msm' all lies then post links to a fan club to Russia? Almost makes RT seem balanced.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It wasn't a planned step, it was a planned reaction to an international violation. It wasn't the first time that Russian jets had violated Turkish airspace. It wasn't an act of provocation, it was a defensive reaction. Knowing that the next time a Russian jet violates airspace, it will be shot down, is a perfectly reasonable approach, given enough warning and diplomatic measures preceding it.

I was told NOT to overly Iran, while supporting OSW in Iraq and firmly believed that the smallest incursion, once, into their airspace would warrant a swift reaction. I was a good enough pilot (with lots of help from my RIO) to know how to navigate, accomplish my mission, and not overfly Iran.

Russia was acting like a bully.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Wait, has something come out showing Russia definitely DID encroach on Turkish airspace?

I haven't been following the story as of late, but last I remember it was still inconclusive whether or not Turkey jumped the gun.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Umm

No disrespect to the RT.com "journalist" who has been told to infer whatever he can to keep up a Russian "the victim" worldview, but...

“...can be regarded as official acknowledgment by Turkey that the operation to destroy the Russian jet in Syria and kill Russian soldiers was a planned step,” he said (to quote an unnamed official of the Russian Ministry of Defence).

No, it cannot. The Turkish Deputy Prime Minister made no such official acknowledgement that leads to the conclusion of the RT.com article.

Quote taken from the RT.com article.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Another RT basher... lol. You guys think just because it has Russia in it's name, they're all communist scum.

Nearly ALL of the journalists I see on there are westerners. .. I guess you think they are traitors.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Another RT basher... lol. You guys think just because it has Russia in it's name, they're all communist scum.

Nearly ALL of the journalists I see on there are westerners. .. I guess you think they are traitors.

No, I find it ironic that people believe what the Russian government says because RT says they should. I have nothing against communism, nothing whatsoever, I see no reason why a westerner (you think) should be called a traitor for working for RT either - I wasn't aware we are at war with Russia. What I don't believe is that RT gives unbalanced, truthful reporting of anything where it involves Russia so I find it ironic that so many people on ATS are so quick to demonise 'western MSM' and then quote from RT.

RT is the mouthpiece of the Russian government - you do know that don't you?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
A bit of related news from chinese spokesman Hong Lei

The downing of the Russian Su-24 bomber over Syria while carrying out anti-terrorist operations is a great loss to the international efforts in the fight against terrorism, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said.

“We have taken note that the downed Russian plane was fulfilling a mission… It was downed while destroying terrorist targets in Syrian territory," Hong Lei said.

macedoniaonline.eu...
edit on 23-12-2015 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted
Turkey made it quite clear earlier in the year that if Russia kept violating its airspace they would take action - they did, what is your problem? If Turkish armed jets regularly violated Russian airspace then don't you think a similar action may have been taken by Russia? You are hardly going to find a balanced answer to that in RT though are you.

No, there's a difference. If the Russian jets had been clearly probing at Turkish air defense many, many times, and then clearly went on and persisted on an intrusion course, even after direct intercept, fly-by, radio, and visual warnings, then military action would have been justified.

Here, it is clear that the Russians had no intention of going into Turkey, had no reason to, and were conducting entirely different operations in Syria, and any violation was minuscule and temporary. Even facts from Turkey show---the path of the Russian planes were never angled in to go into Turkey, but only straddle parallel to the border. It justifies an intercept and visual pilot to pilot warning, but not a missile. If it had been shot down 70 miles into Turkey that's a different story, but it wasn't.

In the Cold War, the first scenario happened often by both sides, and very rarely did they shoot.

This was Ergodan's version of Crimea, some kind of chest-thumping bravado for domestic political purposes, but dumber.

I'm not fan of Putin in the slightest, but Ergodan was wrong on this one. It was a juvenile ambush about Russia's role vs Turkey's role in the Syrian civil war. Not about air borders.
edit on 23-12-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

I acknowledge what you say, and partly agree. The problem is that Russia has been moving into Turkish airpsace multiple times and a warning was given that Turkey would not tolerate continual provocation. What assumptions you and I make of anything else is purely our own speculation.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

rt is a joke.

the truth is, if you're too big for your britches and decide to saber rattle in someone elses airspace you might take a missile up the ***.

edit on 23-12-2015 by LordSnow21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-12-2015 by LordSnow21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Every news station throws their own angle on the story. It just makes me laugh when people shout 'biased' when every msm outlet do the exact same damn thing. Western, Eastern, Antarctican etc

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I hear ya,

But simply put, its state owned media. Thats all.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I just cant understand why Turkey didnt give the SU pilots a warning on their first bomb run. The two SUs fallowed the exact same flight path when they were going to strike the same target again a second time.

It was only on the second bomb run that Turkey claim they gave 10 warnings. Why didnt they give the same waring to the two SUs the first time they attacked the target?

WHy have Turkey not released the Radar images of the first bomb run done by these two SUs?

EDIT:

Probably because it would actually look like a preplanned ambush if they did show the publick that the two SU-24s actually did two runs on the same target... With the same flight path.

Right now the Public thinks the SU-24s only did one run at the ground targets. And only broke Turkish airspace that one time, according to the Turks statment.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Every news station throws their own angle on the story. It just makes me laugh when people shout 'biased' when every msm outlet do the exact same damn thing. Western, Eastern, Antarctican etc

As tadaman says above, RT is state owned - many western media channels have their own editorial policy, in fact to be 100% neutral even at an individual level is extremely different as we all bring our own bias and prejudice whether you accept it or not, but I can't think of any western media channels that are explicitly state owned and therefore are only reliable if you want to believe in what they tell you.

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

but I can't think of any western media channels that are explicitly state owned and therefore are only reliable if you want to believe in what they tell you.
There is the BBC in Britain and the CBC in Canada that are state owned or at least funded which is what RT is .

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join