It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting article on Cambodia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Had some friends who went to Cambodia a couple of months ago from Thailand. They were mostly bar hopping but all had a great time. I was flying into Phnom Penh all the way up until it's fall to the Khmer Rouge which massacred more than 1 million educated Cambodians.. Some estimate place the number closer to 4 million. Cambodia has seemed to be the poorest of the S.E. Asian counties so it has not been real high on my to do list.

Truthfully, I have had an aversion to going back, simply because in the back of my mind I picture some 12 year old Khmer Rouge kid who killed grown ups and is now all grown up and being part of the government.. Some things really are hard to let go off..even for me..

I plan on doing a golfing outing there sometime next year with some friends and the wives. Anyway thought there might be a few who would enjoy the article.

www.stripes.com...

In many ways, it’s frozen in time, reminiscent of Saigon at the height of the Vietnam War.

For a handful of American Vietnam veterans who left a little piece of themselves behind during the ferocious jungle war and say they were vilified when they went back to the states, Phnom Penh has become home.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

You're not Cambodian, and you didn't help them cleanse their country… so whats bothering you, again?

Oh, I see…

…I was flying into Phnom Penh all the way up until it's fall..

Ideology played an important role in the genocide. The desire of the KR to bring the nation back to a "mythic past", stop aid entering the nation from abroad, which in their eyes was a corrupting influence and restore the country to an agrarian society, and the manner in which they tried to implement this was one factor in the genocide.

Wiki

(Empahsis added)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Had some friends who went to Cambodia a couple of months ago from Thailand. They were mostly bar hopping but all had a great time. I was flying into Phnom Penh all the way up until it's fall to the Khmer Rouge which massacred more than 1 million educated Cambodians.. Some estimate place the number closer to 4 million. Cambodia has seemed to be the poorest of the S.E. Asian counties so it has not been real high on my to do list.

Truthfully, I have had an aversion to going back, simply because in the back of my mind I picture some 12 year old Khmer Rouge kid who killed grown ups and is now all grown up and being part of the government.. Some things really are hard to let go off..even for me..

I plan on doing a golfing outing there sometime next year with some friends and the wives. Anyway thought there might be a few who would enjoy the article.

www.stripes.com...

In many ways, it’s frozen in time, reminiscent of Saigon at the height of the Vietnam War.

For a handful of American Vietnam veterans who left a little piece of themselves behind during the ferocious jungle war and say they were vilified when they went back to the states, Phnom Penh has become home.

A golf outing in a country that holds Angkor Wat one of the worlds oldest Temples? What's next go to China and watch movies all day in your hotel room?

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Enochstask
Agreed, plus fresh water dolphins in the Mekong. I've been to Cambodia a few times, beautiful country, entered illegally a couple of times bribing border guards $50 US, I'd more concerned entering the US legally and dealing with its seemingly aggressive authorities lol

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Agreed, plus fresh water dolphins in the Mekong. I've been to Cambodia a few times, beautiful country, entered illegally a couple of times bribing border guards $50 US, I'd more concerned entering the US legally and dealing with its seemingly aggressive authorities lol

Cambodian people are beautiful people. At one time their country was a wealthy Southeast Asian country, then their Progressives wiped out their educated free thinkers, and now we have modern day Cambodia.
edit on 12 23 2015 by Enochstask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

A golf outing in a country that holds Angkor Wat one of the worlds oldest Temples? What's next go to China and watch movies all day in your hotel room?

I have been all over Angkor Wat both physically and via helicopter and Airplane probably before you were born.

Funny you should mention China and staying in a room. I have a friend who has to go there every few months.. He always books the highest room at any hotel he stays at to try and get out of the air pollution. Pretty bad when you look out your window and can not see the ground from the 42d floor of your hotel due to the dirty air. Reality is not always like the travel brochure, No ?

S.E. Asia as well as India are lands of 2000 + year old temples.. Been there done that and at one time even had a few tee shirts..

Angkor Wat is very touristy now where before it was more a you and your companions private affair.... and usually to darn hot to enjoy from the ground to make it much more than a brief chore to go.

Cambodia has some of the most beautiful scenery as does Laos ... But really all of S. E. Asia has spots worth a look see away from many of the tourist spots.
youtu.be...

youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 24 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
newsletter.thaivisa.com...

More Chinese cities issue red alerts for heavy smog

BEIJING (AP) — More Chinese cities are issuing their first red alerts for pollution in response to forecasts of heavy smog, after the capital, Beijing, issued two this month following criticism for not releasing them earlier.

Shandong province in eastern China issued alerts in four cities after warning that the density of particulate matter in the air would exceed high levels for more than 24 hours. The Shandong environmental protection bureau said the alerts started Thursday morning and that kindergarten, primary and middle schools should close and construction of buildings and roads, and demolition work, should stop.

top topics

join